- The best universities in 2018 according to the ranking of The Times Higher Education
- TOP-30 universities by The Times Higher Education
Rankings are quite popular with foreign students who face a choice in which country to study, or those who want to get a job abroad in the field of research, teaching and business. The first academic ranking was published by the Shanghai University in 2003, and a year later the Times published the version of the best universities in the world. Nowadays, there are various rankings - from student to specialized, national and international.
- For example, the prestigious ranking QS World University Rankings is compiled on the basis of six main characteristics: teaching (number of Nobel Prize laureates), research part (level of significance of ongoing research for science), prospects for graduates and employers' assessments, number of foreign teachers and students. An important condition for the university is the availability of postgraduate programs and Bachelor's degree in at least two broad subject areas. Constant leaders in the ranking of QS are the universities of the United States and Great Britain
- Another respected ranking is published by the USNews US news agency, which is an authoritative compiler for world rankings
- The already mentioned Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), compiled by an Asian agency, will be especially useful to those who wish to build a career in the scientific field abroad
- The goal of the Best Global Universities ranking is to gather all the necessary information about the research and academic reputation of universities.
The Times Higher Education magazine is known for its annual ranking of universities in the world. The "World University Rankings 2018" rating includes 1000 universities from around the world.
THE (Times Higher Education)
When forming the THE (Times Higher Education) of the best universities, the following indicators are taken into account:
- quality of teaching: the ratio of the number of staff and students, doctors and bachelors
- level of research: what place does the university take in advanced research and what income does it receive
- degree of dissemination of knowledge and innovation: the role in the dissemination of knowledge is determined through quoting
- financial indicators of HEIs (with a view to determining the effectiveness of HEIs and their material base)
- international perspectives: the degree of interaction with foreign institutions, the number of foreign students and teachers, and participation in research programs abroad.
The best universities in 2018 according to the ranking of The Times Higher Education
1. Oxford University takes the first place in the ranking in 2018. The Oxford Diploma is appreciated all over the world and promises a great career future. Studying at an elite university is a unique opportunity to come into contact with the centuries-old world history: John Tolkien, Lewis Carroll, many philosophers and politicians - Roger Bacon, Margaret Tacher, and others have taught. The university gives its students access to valuable information resources, libraries and archives. University courses are famous not only for their academic orientation, but also for the development of the social skills of students required in their professional activities. At the service of students more than 300 circles, ample opportunities in sports and recreation.
2. University of Cambridge - one of the leading universities in the world, the diploma of which opens huge career prospects. Here is located one of the best research institutes in the world, preparing students at the highest level: graduates of Cambridge in total were awarded 61 Nobel Prize. The exclusive system of education consists of supervision and mentoring in order to ensure an optimal level of attention for each student.
Further, the highest places are occupied by a pleiad of prestigious universities in the USA:
3. California Institute of Technology, which took the third place in the ranking this year, is considered one of the most important national educational institutions, which specializes in exact sciences. The Institute owns the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which is engaged in the launch of NASA automatic devices. The university program is extremely rich and complex, students need to learn a huge amount of information in a short time
3. Stanford University (shared third place with the California Institute of Technology) - a prestigious private educational institution, which is located in the Silicon Valley and has close links with it. Stanford's graduates are the founders of companies such as Electronic Arts, Yahoo! Google, Hewlett-Packard. The university is known for preparation of highly qualified personnel, primarily in the field of social policy and public administration
5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology is one of the most top technical educational institutions known for their innovation in the field of robotics and artificial intelligence (AI). The university offers the best educational programs in the field of information technology, economics, physics, chemistry and mathematics. The University is the record holder for the number of Nobel Prizes: 81 members of the MIT community are its laureate
6. Harvard University - the oldest educational institution in America, located in the American Cambridge. Curriculum is based on 350-year-old educational traditions, openness to innovation and the desire for technological improvement. Among the teachers of Harvard, there are 44 Nobel Prize winners
7. Princeton University is a popular educational institution with a long history, which is the undisputed leader of national rankings. The pride of the university is the modern research center that produces talented graduates who make a great contribution to the development of modern science. Princeton offers unique practical programs with a rich social life
8. Imperial College London - a popular university in the UK, known for its achievements in the field of research. The Imperial College of London specializes in four main areas: engineering, science, medicine and business. The College is a part of a group of elite educational institutions in Britain (together with Oxford and Cambridge they form the so-called "Golden Triangle"),
9. University of Chicago, takes 9th place in the ranking, is a private research university. The University of Chicago makes a great contribution to the development of science: the Department of Physics of the University is known for its development of the world's first artificial nuclear reactor, and the school itself is the fourth largest in the world in terms of the number of Nobel laureates.
10. Swiss ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich). Among the graduates and professors of the university are 21 Nobel laureates, and Albert Einstein is considered one of the most famous university graduates. The university specializes in such areas as Engineering Sciences, Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Architecture and Building Sciences, Management and Social Sciences.
TOP-30 universities by The Times Higher Education
- Oxford University
- University of Cambridge
- California Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- Princeton University
- Imperial College London
- University of Chicago
- ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
- University of Pennsylvania
- Yale University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Columbia University
- University of California, Los Angeles
- UCL University College London
- Duke University
- University of California, Berkeley
- Cornell University
- Northwestern University
- University of Michigan
- National University of Singapore
- University of Toronto
- Carnegie Mellon University
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of Washington
- Edinburgh University
- New York University
- Peking University
- Tsinghua University.