Master's degree in Europe is a popular choice for studying abroad. International students choose European master's degrees due to the high reputation of higher education institutions, the high quality of academic programs, as well as a common lifestyle, employment prospects, cultural diversity.
Europe is a continent with a rich university history, where the oldest universities in the world are located, some of the best educational institutions: Oxford, Cambridge, Technical University of Munich, Ecole Polytechnique, University of Heidelberg, Sorbonne, Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. Master's programs for foreigners are attractive because they take little time, which means less money for training (for example, British universities offer a master's degree lasting 1 year). You can enter with a Russian bachelor's degree, there is an opportunity to receive funding, grants.
Advantages of studying Master's programs in Europe
- European Master's degree – quality education from the world's leading educational institutions, such as University College London, Cambridge, Oxford, École Normale Supérieure (Paris), Leiden University (Holland). These and many other European universities demonstrate Europe's ability to provide an exceptionally high level of master's degree.
- Tuition fees here range from 5000€ to 25 000€, depending on the status of the educational center and the chosen course.
- Europe offers a high standard of living, students have access to discounts on travel, shopping, cafes.
- Studying abroad will add positive aspects to your resume, demonstrate that you love adventure, adapt easily, are open to other cultures and lifestyles. Studying abroad stimulates the learning of new languages, which demonstrates a willingness to learn and explore.
- Education abroad is useful for a future career: a graduate student receives rich life experience, excellent potential for building a professional network. The high quality of higher education institutions in Europe is well known to potential employers, helps on the chosen career path.
Europe has a diverse cultural background, a rich history, full of museums and historical monuments. Obtaining a master's degree in Europe is both a fascinating and informative experience: students can visit many places and cities, get the opportunity to travel to different countries on weekends and during holidays.
Popular Master's programs in Europe, tuition fees
Mainland Europe with historic universities and low tuition fees is a very attractive option for international students. Our list includes the best European universities according to the Times Higher Education subject rating.
Best medical universities for Masters in Europe
Karolinska Institutet Sweden – a well-known medical research center with its own clinical hospital – tops the ranking of European universities (ranks 14th in the world). Strong medical schools operate in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland. Spanish Autonomous University of Barcelona is also among the hundred best medical institutions.
- Netherlands, Erasmus University Rotterdam – from 15 600€/year.
- Switzerland, ETH Zurich – from 140CHF/g.
- Sweden, Karolinska Institute – 17 774€/year
Best universities in Europe, offering a Master's degree in life sciences
Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden are among the "four best" countries in the life sciences. Internationally recognized universities in Austria, Finland, Russia, Iceland also offer quality courses.
- Germany, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU) – from 837€/year.
- Denmark, Aarhus University – from 8 000€/year.
- Finland, University of Helsinki – from 13 000€/year.
Best European universities for a Master's degree in physics
With a strong research base in applied sciences, engineering, technology, Germany tops the ranking in the physical sciences. This is followed by Switzerland, France, the top countries with the study complements Russia.
- Norway, University of Bergen – from 110€/year.
- Finland, University of Helsinki – from 13 000€/year.
- Austria, University of Innsbruck – 1400€/year.
Best European universities to get Master's degree in Arts & Humanities
- Spain, Autonomous University of Barcelona – from 2510€/year.
- Belgium, KU Leuven – from 1253€/year.
- Italy, Sapienza University of Rome – 1911€/year
Best universities in Europe for Master's degree in Law
The Netherlands and Belgium have established themselves as international centers of legal education, the Czech Republic complements the top 150 higher education institutions with the study of jurisprudence.
- Switzerland, University of Zurich – from 1477€/year.
- Ireland, University College Dublin – from 3254€/year.
- Czech Republic, Masaryk University – free tuition (in Czech).
Best universities in Europe for Master's degree in business and economics
- Netherlands, Tilburg University – from 14 581€/year.
- Spain, Pompeu Fabra University – from 3 977€/year
- Italy, Polytechnic University of Milan – from 3270€/year.
Europe "invented" the modern business school when ESCP Europe was founded in Paris (1819). Today, some of the world's best triple-accredited MBA programs are held in France, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Spain, Russia, so you have plenty of great higher education institutions to choose from.
Master's Degree in Computer Science
Germany again ranks first, which testifies to the country's extensive experience in the study of applied sciences. The Netherlands is breathing in her back.
- Germany, Technical University of Munich – from 103€/year.
- Netherlands, Delft University of Technology – from 13 800€/year.
- Sweden, KTH Royal Institute of Technology – 19 283€/year
Scholarships for Master's programs in Europe
- Erasmus Mundus is an initiative of the European Commission to provide funding to students from all over the world.
- Surfshark – a scholarship of $ 2000 is provided to students studying in the UK and any country of the European Union (you need to write an essay).
- Austrian Government Scholarships – monthly payments of €1050 are available for up to four months (all levels of study).
- Grants.at – a database of scholarships, studying in Austria.
- The Institute of the Danube Region, Central Europe (IDM) offers a scholarship of 1200€ (1350$) to outstanding young scientists (one from each country of the Danube region).
- Students from developing countries are given the opportunity to apply for the OFID 2019/20 Scholarship, which is funded by the OPEC Fund for International Development.
- Die Presse funding for Masters of Environmental Technology and International Relations at a cost of €13,300 (Vienna University of Technology).
- Five-month scholarship Künstlerhaus Büchsenhausen for international students: artists, media artists, art historians, theorists, curators from all over the world.
- Scholarships CIUF-CUD (Belgium), addressee - developing countries.
- Ghent University grants are intended for students from developing countries who are studying for the first time in English-language master's programs.
- Scientific scholarships KU Leuven (Faculty of Natural Sciences).
- The Faculty of Arts of Masaryk University (Department of Czech Language) provides four three-month scholarships of CZK 8,000 per month for foreign students to study the Czech language, literature and culture.
- Eiffel scholarships in France are available for foreigners wishing to study in France.
- Emile Bouty Scholarships in France.
- Educations.com – 5000€.
- École Normale Supérieure de Lyon provides grants to study one of the selected ENS de Lyonmaster's programmes.
- The Greek government offers more than 50 payments for foreigners.
- Aristotle University, Thessaloniki,offers scholarships for foreigners.
- Hungarian government scholarships are available for students with a master's degree. Areas of study - rural development, agribusiness, horticulture, water management, agriculture.
- Stipendium Hungaricum (Hungary) provides scholarships covering tuition fees, medical insurance, accommodation, monthly scholarships for citizens of partner countries.
- The Dublin Institute of Technology offers a scholarship programme for students from any country other than the EU/EEA to study for a Master's degree from the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT).
- Irish Government Scholarships for International Education are awarded to highly qualified students from non-EU/EEA countries, amounting to €10,000/year.
- Scholarships for international students of NUI Galway are available for foreigners at all levels of study.
- International scholarships of Trinity College,London.
- Bocconi Scholarships,Italy for international students fully cover tuition fees.
- Scholarships of the Government of Italy for study in various public institutions.
- CICOPS scholarships from the University of Pavia (UNIPV) are open to students from developing countries, the purpose is to conduct research.
- Study grants of the University of Bologna.
- Amsterdam scholarships for merit to study in the Netherlands.
- Anna van den Bahn Scholarships (Wageningen University) to study programmes related to agriculture, food or the environment at the master's level.
- Scholarships of the Eric Blaumink Foundation (University of Groningen).
- Leiden University Distinguished Achievement (LExS) Merit-Based Scholarships for students of the MA/MSc/LLM courses of Leiden University, the Netherlands.
- Dutch Scholarship Programs (NFP) – state-funded international payments for studying in the Netherlands for short-term courses, master's or doctoral studies.
- The Radboud Scholarship Program is a scholarship opportunity for students from non-EEA countries to study english-language master's courses at Radboud University (Nijmegen, the Netherlands).
- UM scholarships for international students on a merit-based basis to study in the Netherlands at master's level (Maastricht University).
- Scholarships of Twente University (UTS) in the chosen master's program.
- The VU Amsterdam Scholarship Program (VUFP) is for talented students with english language instruction.
- Scholarships of the Government of Slovakia for selected developing countries, funded by the State.
- All applicants for a Master's course are automatically considered for scholarships on the basis of academic merit (Barcelona Higher School of Economics).
- The Logistics Center of Zaragoza offers various scholarships for students enrolled in a master's degree in logistics and related courses.
- Spanish Studies Abroad – scholarships to study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country.
- The ETH Zurich Excellence Masters merit-based scholarship program is available to students seeking a master's degree at ETH Zurich.
- Scholarships of the Swiss government for foreign scientists and artists.
- UN Scholarship in International Organizations.
- The MBA Merit scholarships at the University of Geneva under the MBA program are open only to mid-level professionals from developing countries.
Best universities in Europe in terms of employment of masters graduates
A quick job search after completing your master's degree largely depends on the prestige of the university or college you graduated from (in addition to real skills, knowledge). This greatly influences the choice of students for admission to a foreign university.
Every year, The Times (THE) Higher Education Ranking compiles a list of the best universities based on the level of employment of graduates. Explore the leading European universities presented by the Times Higher Education Global University Employment Ranking.
- University of Cambridge, UK. Here is the world's oldest publishing house, a well-known provider of international qualifications, including for English language proficiency. The University has established cooperation with local authorities, international non-governmental organizations, academic institutions.
- Technical University of Munich, Germany. 40,000 people study here, of which more than 20% are foreigners. Widely maintaining an international network, the university cooperates with many companies, scientific institutions around the world: EAIE, Top Industrial Managers for Europe. The Technical University of Munich was one of the first universities in Germany to be named a University of Excellence, providing bachelor's/master's/doctoral programs in a wide range of disciplines: engineering, communications, natural sciences, food technology, biological sciences, design, information systems, MBA, medicine, education.
- Oxford University,UK, is engaged in numerous research projects. Thanks to his notable, outstanding work, he receives high marks in medicine, engineering, life science, social sciences, art, and humanities. The university is engaged in global research on quantum physics, bioethics, healthcare, migration, aging of society, environmental changes.
- ETH Zurich – The Federal Institute of Technology makes an important contribution to the sustainable development of science, economy and society. More than 400 professors teach and conduct research in the field of engineering, architecture, mathematics, natural sciences, management, social sciences. ETH Zurich prepares future professionals who can work in areas such as world food systems, cities of the future, climate change, energy, information processing, new materials, climate change, world food, human health.
- The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland is one of Switzerland's main innovative forces thanks to its researchers, ambitious entrepreneurs, established by international professional networks. The University prepares its students for a successful future career by performing practical work on modern equipment, paying special attention to laboratory classes and practical seminars.
- HEC Paris is a well-known school of business and management in France with an innovative approach to learning. Interested in attracting young talents who are eager to develop their management skills, HEC Paris is willing to accept students who have already received a bachelor's degree. Students can apply for several MBA programs, special master's programs that focus on marketing, strategic management, or dual degrees: Management, Public Relations, Business, Law. HEC Paris has partnerships with more than 100 prestigious universities and colleges around the world, encouraging students to participate in international exchange programs.
- IE University, Spain, offers students professional growth, connects them with recruiters. The university strives to meet the needs of employers and graduates so that both parties get what they want. The IE Career Management Center also offers students career advice for outstanding resumes, online presence, and personal branding.
- Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich,Germany. LMU Munich prides itself on its courses that promote creative thinking, problem solving, and ambitious research in disciplines such as the humanities, law, economics, social and natural sciences. In order to provide its graduates with a career advantage in the labor market, career development services, LMU offers orientation, additional qualifications, practical experience in professional fields. The University maintains a close relationship with the labor market.
- Imperial College London is a modern educational institution that supports interdisciplinary education, innovation, international cooperation. Imperial College encourages the development of a strong network of graduates, academic staff, students to exchange ideas, has partnerships with business, government agencies around the world. Students can apply for a master's degree in medicine, engineering, business, finance, can join clinical research groups that deal with topical topics and problems facing society today: cancer, hybrid vehicles, robotics, nanomaterials.