Pompeu Fabra University
Description of Pompeu Fabra University
- Year of foundation: 1990
- Location: Barcelona, Spain
- Age: from 17 years old
- Type: State University
- Language of instruction: Catalan, Spanish and English
- Number of students: more than 12,000
- Form of study: full-time.
University Pompeu Fabra is one of the leading European educational institutions, a public urban university in Barcelona. UPF was founded in 1990 by the Catalan government with the aim of creating a state university conducive to the development of the country. The mission of an educational institution: to teach through a rigorous, innovative and personalized educational model people with deep scientific and cultural experience, general skills that can be adapted to the changes and challenges of society, and specific skills that they need for a successful life. The official language of the university is Catalan: it was the linguist Pompeu Fabra, whose name was named the university, laid the modern standards of the Catalan dialect. Education in English is available for undergraduate applicants at the Faculty of Economics and Management, the future masters of all faculties of the university. Profiling are the following areas and faculties:
- Social sciencies
- finance and accounting
- business, management and administration
- advertising and PR.
Founded only in 1990, the university achieved such high academic and research results that today it has not only occupied the first positions in the Spanish and European rankings, but also entered the top 300 universities in the world according to the Times Higher Education ranking and not only. The Times Higher Education rating agency calls the University of Pompeu Fabra one of the fastest growing higher education institutions in the world. The works published by researchers of the university are the most cited in scientific circles. University Pompeu Fabra was the first university in Spain to accept the recommendations of the European Higher Education Area and began developing a distance learning system (MOOC).
The university has 21 undergraduate, 28 master and 9 doctoral programs.
- free courses in Catalan and Spanish,
- language programs (English, French, German, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, etc.),
- a language exchange program (on a volunteer basis) and a study program for countries in Europe and Latin America.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Pompeu Fabra University
Accommodation, meals, prices
Students who choose a course of less than nine months often live in a hotel-type dormitory, others are usually located in two dormitories not far from school buildings in rooms for 1-2 people. The organization of life and education at the highest level helped the university to achieve the award of the International Excellence Campus from the Ministry of Education. There is also an option to settle in a Spanish host family.
The cost of living per month: from € 316.
- The employment rate of Pompeu Fabra graduates who have not yet completed their studies is 83%.
- The second position in the ranking of Spanish universities in 2015
- 15th place in the TOP of young universities on the planet 2016
- 12th place in Europe according to U-Multirank 2016
- The leader in the ranking of universities in the country in research activities (Granada University 2014), the scientific work of University Pompeu is sponsored by the European Research Council
- The university has an advanced research park in the field of social sciences and humanities, communications and information technology.
- Internships for students in companies take up to eight hundred hours a year, the university participates in student mobility programs (Erasmus + and others)
- Partnerships with 28 universities from among the 50 best universities in the world
- Accommodation on campus in the center of Barcelona, practically on the seashore.
Facilities and equipment at Pompeu Fabra University
- Three comfortable campuses equipped
- Research Park
- Affiliated education centers in the fields of management, international studies, design, TechnoCampus and the School of Nursing.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
- Certificate, Diploma or Certificate of Graduation
- Deposit payment of 600 €
- Application for foreign students - from February 1 to May 2.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Pompeu Fabra University
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.