- Teaching English abroad
- Features of studying English abroad
- Advantages of teaching English abroad
- At what age should the child be taught the English language?
- Where is it better to learn English abroad: rating, list of countries
- English language courses abroad, prices
- Learning English abroad: the features of choosing the language courses
- What does a child receive from English language courses abroad?
In the modern world, teaching English is crucial, because many want to get secondary and higher education abroad. Learn about the prospects and opportunities for learning English abroad right now!
Language courses abroad are perhaps the best way to learn a language, and English courses abroad are almost a mandatory stage of education for those who wish to get education in the world's educational institutions: the cost and prices of schools and English courses vary from those available to everyone up to high enough in elite educational institutions. Of course, English language courses are available today for those who want any age in almost every English-speaking country in the world, and this is not surprising, since the prestige and relevance of the English language rises from year to year - one of the phenomena of the globalized modern world. Language courses abroad allow students to get secondary education in the UK or higher education in the US , and people of various professions can improve their qualifications, and also in the future to obtain a master's degree or to finish post-graduate studies in educational institutions of the world.
English courses abroad will allow a child to learn English in order of magnitude better than it can be done in any, even the best, Russian school: despite the professionalism of Russian teachers offering excellent grammar and vocabulary (which, however, is accessible to students far from all schools of the Russian Federation), students almost always have problems with the skills of self-expression in English - the so-called language barrier, exacerbated by the lack of practice of speaking on a gliyskom language. Of course, some language centers in Russia employ native speakers from the UK, the US and other English-speaking countries, but it is language courses abroad that allow the child to immerse themselves in the linguistic and cultural environment of a foreign country. Similar English language courses abroad are available for those who wish throughout the year. In addition, it is quite common practice to learn English abroad during the winter or summer school holidays. The cost of such language courses will be discussed in detail later, but it is quite possible to find good English courses abroad, comparable in price to Russian summer camps (the vast majority of which does not provide for any educational program).
Teaching English abroad
English language courses abroad
When studying abroad, the child perceives English in class and outside class, in everyday communication, receives the most important conversation skills: that is why most modern linguists are sure that from two to four weeks of studying English abroad can often bring as much, and sometimes and much more results than a year of independent studies or lessons at school in their home country. This is why many people who value time go or send their children to English language courses abroad .
Features of studying English abroad
Courses of English abroad provide students with a number of advantages. Today, the vast majority of language courses in the English language are based on continuous communication in various forms - this is the communication between the student and the teacher, students among themselves, as well as students and ordinary people in the city. It is the daily exchange of impressions between students from different countries, the solution of various household issues and problems, as well as an entertaining program that allows students to learn and immediately place new words into the vocabulary with great speed and efficiency for future use. In addition, such active communication allows you to fill in any shortcomings in the knowledge of English in a short time. Learning English in this way is easy and fun!
Secondly, as mentioned above, in most language schools, language courses of the English language with a diverse cultural program are offered to the listeners' attention. Parallel to the study of English, students organize various attractions, go on exciting and interesting excursions around the city or the region of the country - all this allows the children to get an idea of the culture and life of a country. Sometimes, such knowledge helps in mastering the English language, because the so-called "local flavor" (of course, in the positive connotation of this phrase) helps students understand this or that expression, allows you to see the allusions and historical roots of this or that phenomenon. In addition, during excursions and joint activities, students continue to communicate in English, so learning English abroad is so interesting and fun. In addition, many courses involve the participation of children in various creative circles or sports sections.
After completing the English language education abroad, a child can speak fluent and confidently in English on almost all common topics, as well as just having a great time and relaxing. Practically in all language schools offering English language instruction, a method is used that assumes a complete immersion of the child in the language environment of the country.
Advantages of teaching English abroad
- A deep immersion in the language environment is the main advantage of teaching English at language courses abroad. In the process of teaching English abroad, a communicative approach is widely used, considered one of the most effective - you can be sure that the result of studying English abroad will be at the highest level. Students communicate every day in English with each other and with teachers, which allows them to improve their speaking and listening skills.
- Acquisition of an unforgettable cultural experience : living in a foreign country not only as a tourist, but also as a student is a very interesting and unique cultural experience that allows to expand the outlook of the child considerably. Students in language schools are offered several types of accommodation for the period of study: living in a host British, American, Canadian, etc. family or a teacher, which will allow the child to get acquainted with the life and life of a particular country. However, even with accommodation in the student dormitory, the child will certainly receive a whole baggage of new information about the world around him from cohabitants from different countries of the world.
- Saturated communication . A child who, perhaps for the first time in his life, meets and communicates with native speakers of a foreign language, experiences a whole range of positive emotions, and when other listeners of language courses and teachers understand it, there are no limits to the child's joy. In addition, this additionally motivates him to improve himself in the field of English language skills.
- Acquisition of the correct English accent . Only in English language courses abroad directly with native speakers, students will be able to acquire the right English accent in the shortest possible time, getting rid of such a hated Russian accent, learning to think in English, which in turn will allow them to quickly and correctly build sentences without preliminary translation in the head from the native language. Students during training seize on the fly various stable expressions and phrases, adopt phraseological units and cruise phrases in English, and then easily use them in life, not thinking about their translation from Russian into English.
- Combining learning and recreation . Undisputed advantage of language courses of English abroad is the fact that, in addition to directly teaching the language, the child rests. Almost all language schools offer, in addition to direct language courses, a certain cultural program: students attend various attractions, go to the largest and most famous museums and galleries of the country or city, and participate in excursions to nature.
At what age should the child be taught the English language?
It is especially worth noting that schools abroad, as a rule, offer language courses in English, designed for children of all ages. Various programs for learning English for preschoolers and youngsters are popular. In this case, most likely, it is necessary (necessarily) also the presence of the parent during the entire period of study and residence. By the way, this is a pretty good option for parents who themselves are not averse to tighten up or learn English in English courses abroad. There are double, or parallel, English language programs that involve joint learning of the language by the parent (parents) and the child - it is very convenient, effective, and children will not suffer from parting with their parents.
As for middle and senior students, these guys are the main listeners of language courses. For them, a lot of training programs have been developed, and accommodation is organized either in the host family or in the student residence under the close supervision of teachers and educators. At this age the child is already able, as a rule, to watch for himself, he develops his world view separately from his parents (in contrast to the early age, when the child is psychologically attached to the parents).
However, the largest variety of educational language programs is intended for students of higher education institutions and adults working in a particular field. It is worth noting that the vast majority of language schools do not provide for any age limits - on the contrary, schools are even happy to train older people who have decided to learn English for any purpose. For example, there are special educational programs for the elderly who effectively combine instruction in English and the communication, interests and cultural programs that are so necessary for older people.
So, when is it best to start teaching a child English? The current practice demonstrates that the age of 12-14 years is the ideal age for the first big adventure in a foreign country, in the world of a new culture, language and friends. At this age, the child is most susceptible to new information (a well-known expression - "absorbs like a sponge"), while not being extremely dependent on parents - on the contrary, the child at this age grows up and more often the "rebel" period occurs just then. The child will return home with a huge baggage of new unforgettable experience and an excellent level of English proficiency. In addition, any child at this age will benefit the first experience of independent life.
If, on the other hand, English language classes abroad send a child under the age of 10 to one, it is likely that this may end badly: instead of new positive impressions, friends and knowledge, he will receive only a tremendous stress from parting with his parents (even for a week) . That is why the best age for starting a child's education in English abroad is teenage.
Where is it better to learn English abroad: rating, list of countries
Which English-speaking country offering English language courses to choose? And is it necessary to choose an English-speaking country? Of course, the best option is an English-speaking country. The fact is that if you send your child to English language courses in some Switzerland or Finland , the effectiveness of the training will significantly decrease, since English should surround the student without interruption during the entire period of study, and not just in classrooms in class. It is also necessary to clearly understand that the US is taught the American variant of the English language, and in Australia - the Australian, and this in some cases radically different options, from vocabulary and ending with pronunciation. If you are looking for classical English with the traditional famous pronunciation - the language of William Shakespeare - then you should look for language courses primarily in the UK. In addition, the United Kingdom is much closer than the United States, which can affect the cost of travel. Below is a list of countries offering English language courses:
- Great Britain . It is a country with centuries of educational traditions, known throughout the educational world, this is the place where people come to study, who want to know exactly the British English. Training in the United Kingdom is a real guarantee of the quality of education. Throughout the country there are more than one and a half thousand language schools offering English language instruction in a variety of educational programs. In addition to the capital of Great Britain, London, and the legendary academic centers, Oxford and Cambridge, you can learn British English in small cities: practically every large and medium city offers various educational programs that are suitable for every taste and budget.
- Malta . This island state also offers training to the classic English version - the British, because Malta for several centuries was part of the United Kingdom. One of the main advantages of studying in Malta is the relatively low cost of teaching English. In addition, Malta is a recreation and tourism center, so here the child can not only tighten up knowledge and get new skills in British English, but also relax on sunny beaches or go on a trip around the island.
- Canada . Historically, Canada is a country of immigrants, in which a multinational, but very friendly atmosphere has developed. Canada is also a multi-lingual country where many other languages are common along with official languages (official languages are English and French here). It is also possible to combine English language teaching (true, not the classic British version, but the Canadian one - a special fusion of American-British English with a light French flair) with travels: beautiful nature, fresh northern air, hospitable people - all this only contributes to learning English . Most educational programs combine education with a cultural program, excursions in the city and in the region.
- Australia and New Zealand . These are the countries of eternal summer, sun, warm ocean, surfing and safari tours. Throughout the region there are almost three language schools offering English language courses. Here they speak a special variant of English - Australian. Compare it with other options is difficult - it's worth to hear and decide whether you need to immerse yourself in this language environment (so it's worth doing with every variant of the English language - to listen to the pronunciation and to understand whether or not you like it, and whether this option is suitable for further purposes). As in Canada and Malta, in Australia and New Zealand educational programs include excursions, travel, cultural events, familiarity with local traditions, etc. English language courses are much cheaper here than in the UK or the US. Do not forget about the opportunities for active pastime, such as: surfing, diving, windsurfing and many others.
- Ireland . Irish English is also quite specific, but still it's English. Schools offering English language courses in Ireland provide high-quality knowledge that is not inferior to British and American schools. This country is famous for its centuries-old academic traditions, developed centuries not without the influence of Great Britain, unique beauty of nature, hospitality.
- USA . The second most prevalent and popular English language option - American English - can be learned in numerous language learning centers and language schools in the United States. In addition, such courses can be prepared for admission to the desired university in the US or the world, as well as to supplement specialized (business English) or general vocabulary. Throughout the country there are hundreds of schools offering tuition combined with an extensive cultural program, including excursions to US cities such as New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia and many others.
- India , Hong Kong , Singapore . In these countries, too, you can get some knowledge of English, but in Hong Kong, India or Singapore go, primarily for tourist impressions. Learning English in such exotic countries of the world can be combined with various hobbies and hobbies: travel around the country, excursions, sports activities and a wellness program. If in Hong Kong you will meet with a unique combination of Chinese culture and English traditions, the multicultural Singapore will show you previously unprecedented horizons of shopping and entertainment; in India you can find different types of recreation, as well as a rich cultural program and excursions.
English language courses abroad, prices
Thus, each parent will be able to find English language courses abroad to himself and his child. At the same time, the main issue in choosing courses is the cost. The cost of English language courses abroad depends on several main factors: the type of residence, the intensity of language courses, the duration of classes, the prestige of the institution, and the city itself, the price level. In addition, the cost depends on the number of students in the class: the more students learn from one teacher, the lower the cost of the language course. The most affordable option is to teach in classes of 20 people, however, frankly, there is no sense in such courses as such - the communication approach of instruction, which was discussed above, is practically absent in its individualized form. The teacher simply can not physically give each of the guys as much time as they need for a comfortable assimilation of the material. Perhaps the most optimal choice based on the "price-quality" ratio will be a class of 8-10 students. Efficiency grows as the cost of English language courses abroad increases: individual tutoring will cost quite a lot, but your child will return with excellent knowledge of English.
It is worth noting that the cost of teaching English language courses abroad is highly differentiated. The most expensive, but at the same time, popular and prestigious are English courses in schools in the UK and the US (especially the East Coast of America) - despite the high cost, most well-off children prefer to learn English here. However, there are much more affordable options for English language language courses abroad: for example, Malta , whose schools effectively combine a high European level of language education with relatively low prices for education. As for the English language in Australia or New Zealand, Canada, these countries offer hundreds of options, both elite and prestigious language schools with a high cost, and more accessible, but from this no less effective and in demand schools. Please note that when choosing a country in the other hemisphere, you need to book flights in advance, since the lion's share of the costs in this case will be the tickets for the plane.
Next, you can see the table that contains the approximate cost of English courses in different countries of the world. Please note that the prices quoted are indicative only, they are an average for the country and may vary depending on the language school and the language courses of the English language: location, type of placement of students, educational and extracurricular programs. The table reflects the average approximate cost of two-week English language courses in large cities with accommodation of listeners in a double room in a hostel for students on the school grounds. Prices are quoted in USD.
Cost of courses for 2 weeks
Cost of living
Cost of food
Language school fees
The specific cost of English language courses , as well as their structure, should be specified on the official websites of schools.
Learning English abroad: the features of choosing the language courses
- Choosing the right language course . First of all, it is necessary to determine exactly which type of English language your child needs. In addition to the known differences between the classical British English and American English, there are many different options that exist in certain countries. For example, the Singaporean version of the English language (called Singlish) is very specific - this specificity in the future can prevent those students who would like to enter the UK educational institution. The Australian version of English (Australian English), although very similar to the British one, has its differences, which you need to know about before you start choosing a language course in English. The English language of the Irish variant (or, as it is officially called, giberno-English) is a mixture of several basic dialect variants. Finally, the Canadian version of English, as already mentioned, is a mixture of American English with French pronunciation.
- Duration of courses . Typically, the duration of the language course in English is from two weeks (the minimum period of study in the courses) to 4-5 weeks (the optimal period of study). A month of training allows the child not only to get high-quality knowledge of English, but also an unforgettable experience: he will have time to relax and miss his parents and home. A great way to diversify your child's vacation is to choose two language courses in different cities of the same country. So the child will be able to travel, get to know a lot of new friends from all over the world. It is worth remembering that often two weeks is too little. Although there is an opportunity to extend the rate, it is associated with additional financial expenses (exceeding those that would have been in the case of advance planning for more than two weeks). That is why it is necessary to determine in advance the duration of the language courses of the English language, based on the level of their knowledge.
- Certification of the school, the professionalism of the teaching staff. When choosing a school offering English language courses, you need to make sure that for your money the child will receive a really high-quality language education - it is very important to check whether the school has state accreditation. This can be accreditation from the British Council (for schools in the UK ) or from the American Education Commission ACE (for US schools ) - the availability of such accreditation means that schools are regularly checked by the relevant authorities and receive high marks. The same applies not only to schools - it is necessary that teachers also have certificates confirming their qualifications. Such certificates can be diplomas CELTA, TESOL or their analogues - in that case you can be calm: your child will receive a high-quality language education.
- The correct method of teaching English . When choosing English language courses, it is also necessary to make sure that the educational program provides an academic focus on each of the four success factors in learning English: reading, writing, speaking and listening. The program must balance these components. Only in this case, English classes at language courses abroad will benefit the child.
- Presence of service of the help to pupils. It is very important that there is a service or department in the language school where your child will be able to apply in case of any questions or problems, be it a household or academic issue. Even if your child is self-sufficient, it will be better if such a service exists in the school - so you can be completely calm for the safety of your child.
- Features of obtaining a visa . For education in English language courses in many countries requires a special student visa. The process of its registration in different countries is radically different, therefore it is worth paying special attention to this. In some cases (especially with short-term language courses), it is enough to issue a tourist visa. It is worth paying attention to the fact that some language schools provide support for foreign students in obtaining a visa - this can and should be used.
- Features of climate and geography . Our agency highly recommends in advance to study such features of the country as expected weather during training (especially for coastal cities), the climate of the country as a whole at one time or another. It is also important to understand the atmosphere in this or that city: for example, the active and intense pace of life in Singapore is not suitable for those students who are used to practicing in peace and quiet.
- Availability of transfers . Typically, language schools organize transfers from airport to school and back, ensuring the safety of children throughout the period of studying English abroad. In practically all language schools and student residences, teachers and educators will always be ready to answer any household or academic questions of the child.
- The mode of classes. In most cases, English language courses are a summer school camp. In the morning, classes are held, and after lunch - a rich cultural program. Here they pay special attention to the preparation of the curriculum, It is important that the child not only tightened the English language, but also necessarily rested: in general, conducted up to 20 lessons per week.
- Extra-curricular activities. Each school makes up its own program of extra-curricular activities - this is an important practical part of all learning English abroad. For each child there is an occupation to taste: hiking, cinema, bowling, cafes, football, basketball, excursions around the country or the city. Be sure to pay attention to whether these services are included in the course price.
- Type of accommodation and meals for the child. Typically, language schools offer two basic options for living: in a host family or in a student hostel. Junior schoolchildren are recommended to choose a residence in the family, because there your child will be looked after, fed, taken with him to various family events. As for high school students, they are more suitable for a student hostel, since it implies a higher degree of independence, which does not exclude, however, 24-hour security.
What does a child receive from English language courses abroad?
- Highly effective practice of English . After the completion of the language courses in English, the child will be much better able to perceive English speech by ear, will have an expanded vocabulary, which will allow him to maintain a conversation with native speakers on almost any topic. At specialized language courses, students will learn specialized vocabulary, which will enable them to conduct conversations on highly specialized topics. However, the most important result is overcoming, perhaps, the main fear of all children and adolescents - the fear of speaking in a foreign language. In English classes in groups, students have no choice but to speak English.
- A big plus in the resume . English proficiency is valued by employers around the world, especially in the modern world. Successful experience of studying English in one of the English-speaking countries, of course, will add weight to your resume, will give you a huge competitive advantage over other applicants. Even short-term courses (2-3 weeks) will allow you to take a fresh look at the labor market not only in Russia, but all over the world!
- Prospects for getting an education . Language courses of English abroad can be one of the steps towards obtaining an education in a foreign school or university . Any student who has completed a language course will be able to understand what is expected of him in the future when enrolling in an educational institution. English language courses are a great way to overcome the inner fear of the new and the unknown, speaking freely in English, both at home.
- New acquaintances . Students of English language courses take an average of 20-30 hours a week. All the rest of the time they are engaged in communication among themselves in parallel with excursions, visits to attractions. Students get acquainted with a bunch of new people who can then become best friends and girlfriends. As a result, the children not only improve their language skills, but also establish relationships among themselves, and in the future such ties can only be strengthened.
At the SMAPS agency, we are pleased to offer you and your child a number of English language training programs abroad in leading language training centers around the world. From a large list of the best options, our experts will help you choose the one that is most suitable for you or your child, whether it's studying English abroad during the holidays , summer and winter language camps for children , English courses of different duration or others. Great Britain and Malta , Australia and New Zealand , USA and Canada are waiting for you and your child! Combine business with pleasure, learning new skills and skills in English and relaxing at the same time! Our site offers a variety of offers. In addition, you can at any time leave an application online, and our professional specialists will contact you at the desired and convenient time for you to conduct a free consultation.