Admission to Canada is a crucial stage in the life of a student, which will help open new doors and career opportunities for him. Higher education institutions in the country are interested in their reputation, the quality of training and hardworking foreign students who want to gain decent knowledge in order to become experienced specialists and in the future work for the benefit of the country. Canadian universities provide a lot of opportunities for learning, making it accessible. Every year, many students are interested in the issue of free higher education in Canada.
Studying at Universities in Canada
- A distinctive feature of the Canadian education system in universities is the close connection between science and practice. Students attend theoretical lectures, conduct laboratory work and train in real companies, applying the knowledge gained.
- The institutes offer a wide range of specialties and training programs. The strongest areas of study are information technology, microelectronics, engineering, business and natural sciences.
- The demand for graduates of local universities is huge in the Canadian and world labor market – children quickly find a high-paying job in the first months after graduation.
- Most universities and colleges are public.
- Attendance and academic performance in Canadian higher education institutions are closely monitored - it is not recommended to skip classes. The dropout rate of students in the first academic year is large and amounts to 50%, because students are required to be enduring, responsible and painstaking in their studies - retakes are not practiced, doing homework and writing essays are mandatory.
- The academic year traditionally begins in September and lasts until May-June, with the trimester system, training continues throughout the summer.
- Educational programs in institutions can be taught in French and English.
Advantages of studying in Canada
- One of the best higher education systems in the world
- A wide range of programs and areas of study
- International tolerant environment of like-minded people
- Prospects and prestige
- Quality education
- Highly qualified teachers and professors.
How to enter universities in Canada for free?
Unfortunately, Canada does not provide the opportunity to study for free - citizens of the country and foreigners pay from 11,000 to 25,000 $CAD for university studies, however, there are many ways of financing and obtaining discounts that can help partially reduce the cost of tuition and accommodation. To do this, after enrolling in an educational institution, it is necessary to submit a portfolio with information about academic achievements, research works outside of university activities and other certificates. Grants do not cover training in full, but allow you to pay for it significantly less.
Scholarships and grants from Canada - general information
Subsidies are available for students of all levels of study - bachelors, masters and doctoral students. For the latter two, there are more opportunities for funding – the competition for each place is significantly lower.
According to statistics, 1 out of 40 students participating in the competition receives a scholarship. The average discount on training is 25-50% - savings can be up to $ 12,000. Full coverage is a very rare case.
Money can be issued by the state, independent private organizations, universities and scholarship funds. In Canada, there are significantly more different scholarships than in the UK and USA.
Canadian Government Scholarships
State subsidies are available only for students in master's and doctoral studies. There are restrictions on some areas - students of dentistry and business administration can not participate in the competition. Usually, the payment can be up to $ 40,000 / year for postgraduate programs.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
The program annually admits 167 people to postgraduate courses for payments of $ 40,150 annually for three years. To participate in the competition, it is necessary to enter the partner institute of the Vanier program. Money can be won by students of any specialty (except creative), applicants are looking for developed leadership qualities, impressive academic achievements and research potential.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
70 graduate students are awarded a grant of $ 112,500 for 2 years to study natural, technical, humanitarian and medical sciences. The most important criterion for selection is the relevance and importance of the future research project, its impact on science and society.
Scholarships in the provinces of Canada
There is a high probability of receiving payments from the provinces – the country is interested in motivated master's and doctoral students. The province of Ontario offers the most opportunities: money can be received by postgraduate students studying at local universities, and the amounts can reach $ 32,000 annually. The most popular options are the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) and the Ontario Trillium Scholarship (OTS).
There are not many scholarships from private independent foundations in the state, and all of them are intended for masters and doctoral students with research activities.
Trudeau Foundation Awards
The Trudeau Foundation, which provides payments for doctoral students who study the humanities and social sciences. Only those whose research is related to human rights and dignity, responsible civil society and the natural environment of man can become fellows. The subsidy is designed for 15 people in the amount of $ 16,000-32,000.
A non-profit organization that motivates the development of business skills. You can apply at any time, there are no restrictions, and payments are $ 12,000 for a scientific project.
Anne Vallee Ecological Fund
For those who study animals in the provinces of Quebec or British Columbia. Financial support from the Anna Vallia Environmental Foundation is presented in the form of $ 1300 for 9 months.
Scholarships from universities
The institutes actively encourage bachelor's, master's and doctoral students equally.
York University International Student Scholarships
The institution financially helps foreign bachelors. The main selection criteria are high grades and leadership qualities. Students will receive $ 16,000-35,000 for 9 months, and with good academic performance, the payment is extended until the next year.
University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
Scholarship for promising students with high academic performance and social activity. Financial aid for freshmen will be $ 4,000 / year. If a student's academic performance declines, he is deprived of scholarships.
Canadian University Admission Requirements
To enter a Canadian university, you will need the following documents:
- Completed form from the university
- Copy of passport
- Transcript of subjects and grades, school certificate
- Copies of academic certificates, diplomas and certificates
- Certificate of English Proficiency IELTS or TOEFL
- GMAT, GRE or LSAT results
- Letter of recommendation, essay, portfolio
- Receipt of payment of the entrance fee.
Documents must be notarized, translated into the language of instruction (English or French), valid and checked for errors.
Instructions and tips for applicants
- Decide in advance on the direction of study, educational institution and funding format (government or university scholarship, grant, special program).
- Actively collect a portfolio - language certificates, school and work achievements, Olympiads, social activities. The more significant certificates, the more attractive you look in the eyes of the commission.
- Deepen your English - this is one of the most important criteria for admission to study at the university.
- Develop leadership skills and confidence – they will be useful to you when writing a motivation letter and a personal interview.
- Start applying for a visa well in advance – there may be delays during the pandemic.
- Decide on accommodation - for greater savings, you can find budget options in the form of student dormitories and residences.
Best universities in Canada with funding:
- University of Toronto
- University of British Columbia
- University of Alberta Edmonton
- University of Montreal
- McMaster University
- University of Waterloo
- University of Western Ontario
- Queen's Kingston University
- Dahlhouse Halifax University
- University of Ottawa
- Durham College
- University of Winnipeg
- Grant MacEwan University
- Capilano University
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic.