Located in the Southern Hemisphere, Australia is famous for surfing, kangaroos, warm climate. The country covers an area of 7.69 million km², making it the 6th largest country in the world. More than 25 million people live here, the country is incredibly diverse, rich culture and history are based on the heritage of the aborigines, a mixture of bright cultures.
Australia is one of the world leaders in education, making the continent a popular study destination for international students.
Advantages of studying in Australia
- Australia has a stable reputation as the world's leading center of higher education: it has one of the highest proportions of the qualified population with higher education. The country maintains a high level of literacy and education.
- Australia boasts a world-class education system offering high-quality education at a reasonable price.
- On the territory of Australia there are 37 public universities, 2 private universities, a number of other specialized higher education institutions. The top 500 best QS universities in the world for 2022 includes 26 Australian educational institutions, 7 of which are in the top 100. The leading positions are occupied by Australian National University (27th place), the next - University of Melbourne (37th place), University of Sydney (38th place).
- Australia is one of the most hospitable, diverse countries. Almost half of the population was born abroad (or one of the parents was born abroad). 260+ languages are spoken in the country.
- Australia is known as the most ancient, flat, arid continent, but also as a place with a huge variety of landscapes, habitats of plants and animals. In addition to tropical forests, mountain ranges, deserts, there are many modern developed cities, towns. The country has many tourist attractions, beautiful landscapes, embankments.
Undergraduate programs in Australia
Australia has a national qualifications set approved by the government. There is national, international recognition of each qualification, the level of education it represents.
Main types of undergraduate qualifications offered by most higher education institutions are:
- The bachelor's degree provides initial preparation for a professional career, master's degree, involves a minimum of three years of full-time study (some institutions offer an accelerated system that allows students to obtain a three-year degree in two years). Admission usually requires an Australian high school education certificate (grade 12) or its equivalent overseas or an advanced diploma or certificate in the vocational education sector (TPD).
- Bachelor's degree (with honors) – to obtain a diploma with honors may require an additional year of study (devoted to research).
TOP-10 Popular Undergraduate Programs in Australia
Business & Management
Business and management is one of the most popular destinations among local, foreign students. Australia's business schools are known around the world, focusing on the specifics of doing business in the Asia-Pacific region, providing students with skills to work in a global perspective.
- University of Melbourne, Bachelor of Business – from 30 537AUD$/year.
- University of Southern Queensland, Bachelor of Business in Business Administration – from 23 564AUD$/year.
Australian medical degrees include clinical practice and self-study. It takes 5-6 years to obtain a medical degree. Australian medical qualifications are recognized all over the world, admission to medical courses is very competitive.
- Sydney University – from 42 000AUD$/year.
- Griffith University – from 38 000AUD$/year.
Accounting services, which never go out of fashion, are in demand by corporations and on a personal financial level. Graduates receive professional status after completing an accredited university course, work experience. Accountants with Australian qualifications easily find work abroad.
- University of Technology, Bachelor of Business in Accounting – from 27 367AUD$/year.
- University of Newcastle, Bachelor of Finance/Commerce – from 31 255AUD$/year.
Studying dentistry in Australia, students master the latest dental achievements. Usually the course takes five years, includes basic medical research, natural sciences. Future dentists undergo additional preparation, specialize in a certain field (for example, orthodontics or periodontology) after completing their studies.
- CQUniversity, Bachelor of Oral Hygiene – from 18 480AUD$/g.
- La Trobe University, Bachelor of Dental Sciences – from 29 800AUD$/year.
Almost all higher education institutions in Australia offer legal programs: law students are taught logical thinking, creative problem solving, effective communication. Internationally recognised Australian legal degrees are in high demand.
- Bond University, Bachelor of Business Law – from 27 000AUD$/year.
- University of Wollongong (UOW), Bachelor of Commerce (Business Law) – from 13 296AUD$/year.
Creative art and design
Australia's leading universities offer a wide range of courses in fine arts and design, including performing arts, fine arts, crafts, graphic studies, design, communication, and media.
- National Institute of Dramatic Arts– from 15 540$ / year.
- University of Wollongong (UOW), Bachelor of Creative Arts – from 13 296AUD$/year.
Modern teaching methods are becoming more innovative, the need for qualified teachers is growing. Australian educational programs offer combinations of course, research, practical elements covering such areas of study as pre-school, primary, secondary education, education for persons with special needs.
- Macquarie University, Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Teacher Education (Elementary School) – from 24,601AUD$
- University of South Australia, Bachelor of Preschool Education – from 29 000AUD$/year.
Students studying engineering in Australia receive a quality degree. The Engineers Australia community guarantees that degrees accredited at Australian universities are equivalent to degrees in the US, Japan, Ireland, and the UK.
- University of Queensland – from 28 000AUD$/year.
- University of Victoria (UVic), Bachelor of Civil Engineering – from 20 000AUD$.
Another of the most popular degrees in Australia is environmental science, which usually takes 3-4 years to complete. The study of environmental sciences includes a combination of natural science and social courses related to environmental protection, sustainable resource management.
- University of Tasmania – from 27 500AUD$
- Monash University, Bachelor of Environmental Science – from 27 747AUD$/year.
The development of technology cannot be stopped, so interest in obtaining a degree in computer science/information technology is growing. In Australia, computer science courses usually include software design, learning algorithms, programming languages.
- University of New South Wales, Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) – 5,910AUD$/year
- Australian Institute of Technology – from 22 750AUD$/year.
Tuition fees at universities in Australia for foreign students
If you are an international student, you will have to pay the full tuition fee. The cost of the bachelor's degree is from 15,000 to 33,000 Australian dollars. These tuition cost estimates do not take into account more expensive courses such as veterinary medicine or medicine.
If you want to study an English program, the price of the programs is about 300AUD$/week, depending on the duration of your course. If you are applying for a vocational course (e.g. I-IV certificates, advanced diplomas), the cost will be from 4,000 to 22,000 Australian dollars.
To obtain a student visa, you will need medical insurance for the duration of your studies. The special type of insurance coverage required for Australia is called International Student Health Insurance (OHSC). You can purchase a private health insurance policy to cover something that the OHSC does not cover.
Undergraduate students in Australia can work part-time – up to 40 hours in two weeks during the semester.
Admission requirements for foreign applicants
Admission to most undergraduate courses in Australia is very competitive. In addition to the academic requirements specified for each skill level, candidates must meet the requirements of a high level of English.
Some higher education courses have additional entry requirements:
- prior knowledge of certain subjects
- Work experience
- successful listening
Each university has its own requirements for applicants.
Higher education courses usually take place from late February to mid-November. The school year is divided into two semesters, although some educational institutions operate on a trimester system or offer summer schools from December to February, which can shorten the overall duration. Students enroll in courses at the beginning of the year (January or February), but application dates are usually closer to the end of the previous year. Some educational institutions hold admission to certain courses in the middle of the year (July).
Language in Australia
There is no official language in Australia, its national language is English. Most courses are taught in English, so international students will need to provide proof of language proficiency. If you do not meet the required standard of the chosen course, educational institutions usually offer English courses to help students improve their linguistic skills.
Connecting with locals and other students is the perfect way to practice! It's a skill that fits perfectly into your resume.
Student Visa in Australia
To study, you must obtain a student visa, which allows you to study up to 5 years in a recognized higher education institution.
- To apply for a visa, you must enroll in a higher education course.
- If you are under 18 years of age at the beginning of your studies, you must provide information about living conditions, social security.
- If there are any changes in your circumstances, it is important that you inform the institution about it. If you do not, your visa may be cancelled and you will have to leave the country.