Medical education in the United States is one of the most sought after areas.
Everyone knows that the United States takes a leading place in the world in terms of the level and effectiveness of scientific research, and the standards of American medicine are recognized throughout the world.
Despite the fact that about 25,000 students from medical schools graduate annually, there is an acute shortage of specialists. You need to understand that education requires a lot of time and large financial investments, the process of admission is not easy, especially for foreign students. But after going this long way, students expect a prestigious and well-paid job. For example, a family doctor receives an average of 192,000 $ per year, and the work of a surgeon is estimated at an average of 247,520 $ per year.
This is the process of obtaining a doctor’s qualification:
- obtaining a bachelor's degree from an accredited university of Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts with specialized subjects in chemistry and biology. Among the popular specialties are Biology, Chemistry and Exercise Science.
- Registration and passing the MCAT test (Medical College Admission Test).
- applying to medical schools in the last year of study or later, since there is no specific time frame. Submission occurs through the portal AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service). Not all medical schools accept international students.
- education in a medical school lasts 4 years, of which 2 years - theoretical education, 2 years - clinical practice. In the last year of study, the student chooses his specialization.
- after graduating from medical school, a student on a competitive basis applies for residency, which takes 3 years or more, depending on specialization.
- passage of highly specialized practice (Fellowship), which lasts 1-2 years. It is not compulsory, it depends on medical specialization - usually students manage to complete the internship during residency.
- In order to legally practice medicine in the USA, students must pass and receive a passing score in the US Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE), which consists of 3 parts during and after medical school.
For students who wish to enter further into medical schools, SMAPSE experts recommend the following programs and universities:
- Ranking: TOP-100 Biological Sciences in the World
- Cost: 33,000 $ on the main campus (maximum discount - 15,500 $); 10,300 $ - Lake Havasu (maximum discount - 5,500 $)
- Directions: Biology, Kinesiology, Health Sciences, Biochemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Neuroscience, Pharmacology and much more.
- Ranking: # 121 in National Universities (US News Report 2020).
- The nursing program includes more clinical education than other universities; the university has a new center for high-tech simulators;
- Cost: 42,000 $ (the maximum possible discount is 15,000 $).
- Directions: Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Nursing, Exercise and Sport Science
- Ranking: # 125 in National Universities (US News Report 2020).
- Cost: 40,850 $ (50% discount - 20,425 $).
- Directions: Biology, Chemistry, Nursing.