Graduation from school is a time to think about the future profession and decide on the place of further study. Do you think that when choosing a university, you should focus on ratings? Let's try to answer the question together.
Why do we need rankigs?
Not the last role in the life of any university (whether public or private) is played by reputation. The higher it is, the more investors, applicants and employers. The place of national universities in the world rankings increases the reputation of the country as a whole, makes the university a desirable place of residence and study. To create the image of a transparent educational institution, generally accepted world standards for training future specialists and conducting scientific research are introduced.
Some countries are implementing national programs to promote universities in the best world rankings. To this end, in Russia in 2012 there was a "Project 5-100",which worked to increase the recognition and competitiveness of domestic universities on the world stage. The goal was to allocate by 2020 within the country a group of leading universities that would meet the established world requirements of institutions with effective management and impeccable reputation. Thanks to the "Project 5-100" program, 19 Russian universities were included in the ranking of countries with actively developing economies THE Emerging Economies University Rankings. The QS industry ranking includes 13 universities from Russia, and the TOP-100 subject rankings include 5.
What are universities rankings?
Ratings are divided into three large groups:
- global - include universities of all countries of the world;
- regional – compare and evaluate universities of certain regions of the world
- national - include universities of a separate state.
The main and well-known world rankings include:
- Quacquarelli Symonds is a British ranking of universities in the world
- Times Higher Education (THE) — world ranking of universities
- ARWU is the Shanghai ranking of universities in the world.
The largest Russian ratings:
- TOP-100 Universities in Russia from RAEX
- Interfax University Ranking.
Leaders and old-timers of rankings
Every year, the first lines of world rankings are occupied by British and American universities. Harvard, Stanford, Oxford — everyone hears. Universities from Russia are also present in international rankings: Lomonosov Moscow State University, St. Petersburg State University, MGIMO and others.
How are universities rated?
Since the rankings are different, the methods of evaluation are different. Some rankings are evaluated by universities of different countries, regardless of profile.
- The THE rating focuses primarily on the subject area.
- A number of ratings make comparisons both by industry and by subject, for example, the Shanghai ARWU or the British QS.
- In some cases, ratings are compiled for a narrowly focused request: reputational, employment rating, etc.
The university occupies a place in the rating according to the assigned index. A number of characteristics are used to calculate the index:
- number of foreign teachers
- number of Nobel Prize winners among faculty or alumni
- number of students from abroad
- level of dissemination of knowledge
- authority and citation of publications
- reputation of the university.
Do I need to look at the ranking when applying?
Of course, the presence of the university in the ranking and its place in it plays a role in further employment. Employers monitor the ratings, and it is easier to get a prestigious job with a diploma from a rating university. The practice of turning large top companies to universities from the prestigious ranking in order to search for personnel also takes place. It turns out that the work will find a graduate itself. In addition to the rating, companies look at the reputation of the university, with the diploma of which the applicant came to the position. Even if the university is not included in the rating, but has excellent recommendations, an image and a promoted brand - this is valuable.
There is also a polar point of view on ratings, whose representatives believe that the rating affects only the prestige of the university and does not guarantee quality education with subsequent employment.
Best universities in the world Ranking
The British company Quacquarelli Symonds annually compiles and publishes a QS rating, which includes universities from around the world. In 2021, the rating includes 1300 educational institutions, 78th of which is occupied by Lomonosov Moscow State University - the only Russian university.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA.
- University of Oxford, UK.
- Stanford University, USA.
- University of Cambridge, UK.
- Harvard University, USA.
- California Institute of Technology,USA.
- Imperial College London, UK.
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland.
- University College London, UK.
- University of Chicago, USA.