- Exercises for the development of speaking in English
- Listening exercises in English
- Reading exercises
- Writing exercises
Want to speak English like a native speaker? We know the secret weapon - practice, practice, practice!
When children start learning their native language, they listen first. Then they start talking, reading, and finally writing. To improve your English proficiency, you must continuously practice these four core language skills - listening, speaking, writing and reading.
But how do you do it regularly? Just make English a part of your daily life. And it's easier than it seems at first glance! We've rounded up the best English exercises to help you learn and improve your English skills every day, anywhere, anytime.
Exercises for the development of speaking in English
- Join English-speaking clubs or voice chats. The practice of speaking in English is the most effective method of deep proficiency in the language, which allows you to work out speech skills, listening skills. Speaking-chats help you make interesting acquaintances, diversify your speech experience, choose a club or chat that matches your area of linguistic interests.
- Take a mirror and focus on your fluency: Stand in front of the mirror and talk about a topic of interest for a few minutes a day. The duration of your speech is 3 minutes minimum. The task is to analyze body language, gestures, facial expressions, the ability to speak without pauses, not to be distracted. If you do not know a specific word, express yourself differently, keep the grammar simple, even if there are mistakes, do not stop.
- Use a voice recorder - record your own speech, listen to it, highlight weak points, correct pronunciation errors, work out the correct version.
Listening exercises in English
Create an English language background around you: music, films and TV shows without dubbing, podcasts and broadcasts in English.
- While doing your routine, on the way to work, walking the dog, washing the stove or playing sports, listen to English YouTube channels, songs, and watch TV shows that are interesting for you. Active listening exercises allow you to gain a deeper understanding of cultural and linguistic characteristics, even if you are not fully focused on the material. Listen to language learning channels or a gardening podcast if you're interested, but pay attention to the form as well as the content.
- An effective way to train your listening skills is watching movies with deferred captioning: first you pay attention to the speech that is being spoken, and then to the text.
- There are many listening exercises freely available online, there are special applications. After choosing your level, you will receive a selection of tasks to train your listening skills.
If you want to improve your vocabulary - read in English.
- Set aside 20 minutes a day to read the English text, concentrate, grab a notebook, pen, dictionary or phone with a google translator. If you set yourself up for reading ahead of time, your brain will focus on the activity.
- Choose to read books you know - children's, detectives A. Christie. This will facilitate reading due to the knowledge of the general plot and the ability to reconstruct the meaning from the context. Choose a reading that suits your level of English. There are online resources with book recommendations, e-books, and the ability to read part of a book (Jellybooks, Goodreads).
- Change the language of your phone, tablet or computer to English. You will memorize a lot of words and commands, learn how to quickly correlate the name of options with specific actions, facilitate future conversations with technical support.
- Make a list of unknown words and expressions with their meaning, pronunciation, examples. Use words from the list in stories, sentences, use in context (10-15 words per story).
- Open Pinterest or another resource with pictures to learn how to describe images, apply adjectives, express emotions, impressions. Don't describe what you see, but how you feel about what you see (stylish look, well-kept garden, delicious coffee).
- Comment on blogs - train your conversational English skills.
- Review a book or movie, write a short description of the plot: the main character, his motivation, obstacles to achieving the goal, the hero's actions to overcome obstacles, the resolution of the situation.