University preparation in the Netherlands for foreign students
- Education information
- Study and work in Netherlands
- University preparation courses in Netherlands
- Language programs in Netherlands for international students
- Preparation programs for Netherlands universities - ranking
- Tuition fee of pre-university preparation in Netherlands
- Universities in the Netherlands – scholarship system
- Learning programs-summary information
- Top 21 boarding colleges in England 2022
- Top 10 best universities in Netherlands 2022
- Top 35 best universities and colleges in Canada 2022
- Accommodation in Netherlands per month
- Estimated Costs
Flexible rules of admission in universities in the Netherlands allow foreign students to enter on the basis of a certificate of full secondary education and the results of international language exam. However, in the case of insufficient command of English or Dutch, it may be necessary to complete preparatory courses aimed at replenishing the applicant's language skills and adapting to further study in a foreign university. TOP-10 prestigious universities in the Netherlands begin to receive documents before the beginning of May.
Study and work in Netherlands
Students in the Netherlands university have the right to request permission for part-time work, by obtaining a letter from the university or directly from the employer. In this case, the number of working hours per week should not exceed 10 and affect the academic performance. During summer holidays it is allowed to work an unlimited amount of time.
After finishing education in universities in Netherlands, students can extend their stay in the country for a year to find a job. Applying to the migration service of the Netherlands, students will receive the status of a qualified migrants and a residence permit with the right to work. A year later, it is necessary to confirm this status and prove the availability of work.
Despite its relatively small area, the Kingdom of the Netherlands is one of the most economically powerful countries in the world. Today, it hosts headquarters of large international companies, such as Philips, Sony, Heineken, Microsoft, etc. The experience of living in this country and a diploma of higher education received in the Netherlands will be a profitable investment in a successful career at the international level.
University preparation courses in Netherlands
To enrol in preferred educational institution is relatively simple – pre-university preparation in Netherlands for international students stipulates availability of the following mandatory documents:
- Certificate of completed of secondary education
- International language test IELTS or TOEFL (in case of applying to English-speaking university);
- Language certificate NT2 (if the studying conducts in Dutch);
- Motivation letter.
Sometimes it is necessary to additionally pass entrance exam in specialized discipline, but this is rather an exception to the rules and depends on the university, the chosen specialty.
The minimum required for admission to the university in points of the language certificate is given in the table:
Enrollment in the top universities of the Netherlands takes place before the beginning of May. If the foreign student does not have a certificate to this moment, preliminary admission to university is possible (in case of availability of official letter, where are the dates of issuance of the certificate of completion of secondary school education).
- If the student managed to successfully pass the language tests on the first attempt and score the required minimum points, there are no obstacles to his enrollment in the university in Netherlands.
- If the test is failed, universities of Netherlands offer to pass additional preparation in chosen educational institution.
Language programs in Netherlands for international students
Pre-university preparation in Netherlands, its intensity and duration depend on the level of English or Dutch proficiency of foreign student. The shortest course is 4-week summer studying at the Saxion University of Applied Sciences. Everything here is aimed at improving English, and intensive course is suitable for those who did not get very few points during the test. If the gap with the minimum number of points is high, it is worth paying attention to the preparation lasting from 2 to 12 months: usually it takes place on the basis of the university where the foreign student wants to study.
During studying at the preparatory courses the applicants have an opportunity to:
- Improve English or Dutch proficiency;
- Adapt to new environment and its traditions;
- Compensate the gap in the knowledge of core subjects;
- Get an idea of the form of classes at the university.
Preparation programs for Netherlands universities - ranking
University of Amsterdam is higher educational institution, on the basis of which university preparation for foreign students is conducted together with international company Cambridge Education Group. Offered courses for applicants are one of the most popular and ranked, as the university is listed in TOP-30 of educational institutions of Europe and TOP-100 of the world. From the first day of studying all participants of the courses are considered students of the educational institution itself. Preparation lasts 3 semesters: if it is completed successfully, the foreign students are guaranteed enrolment on the programs 3-year Bachelor in spheres of business, economics, politics, psychology and legislation.
Studying at courses, developed by Cambridge Education Group, has several advantages:
- Opportunity to start classes twice a year — in January or September;
- Help with a choice of accommodation type;
- Securing a student for a personal teacher, to whom you can always ask questions and tell about doubts;
- Cultural orientation program, contributing to adaptation to new environment in Amsterdam;
- The ability to immediately use the entire infrastructure of the university;
- Intensive academic load, contributing to effectively prepare for future studying (25 academic classes).
Tuition fee of pre-university preparation in Netherlands
There are two factors, influencing on the cost of preparation of international students for university in Netherlands – duration of courses and conditions of living:
- For instance, 4-weeks program of the Saxion university will cost on average 2 000 euro (studying + accommodation)
- The tuition fee of semi-annual courses of different universities varies from 3000 to 4500 euro, annual programs – from 6000€ to 9000€ (includes only studying). The cost of accommodation (for example, in Amsterdam) fluctuates from 250€ to 350€ per month.
- For comparison: the cost of annual preparation, including accommodation, will account for on average 14000€.
Universities in the Netherlands – scholarship system
One of the most enjoyable stages that involves preparing for university in the Netherlands for foreign students is search for scholarship program. In this matter, applicants expect good news! The universities in Netherlands are willing to award scholarships and grants to foreign students.
1. Orange Tulip Scholarship – general scholarship program of 20 universities of Netherlands extends to Bachelor and Master programs in the spheres of arts, medicine, law, management, MBA, finance and economics. Acceptance of application is conducted from November to January. Each of the participating universities has its own specific requirements for candidates, but there are mandatory points for all:
- The status of foreign student;
- Age: 18-35 years old (up to 45 years in case of the program МВА);
- An application for admission to the university should be submitted earlier than the scholarship application is submitted.
Orange Tulip Scholarship can cover tuition fee (fully or partially), also cost of accommodation, visa, insurance – depends on the chosen university-participant.
2. Holland Scholarship is scholarship program of the Ministry of education, culture and science of Netherlands. The payment of 5,000 euros is made once upon admission to the first course. 40 educational and research institutions participate in the program. Compulsory requirements are the following:
- To be a citizen of a country that is not part of the European Free Trade Area;
- Availability of an application for a full-fledged master's or bachelor's degree program at universities in the Netherlands;
- The absence of a higher education diploma obtained in the Netherlands.
Write to us right now to find out if the universities you are interested in have pre-university programs and scholarship payments for international students. Write to us and get consultation free of charge!
Learning programs-summary information
|GCSE||General certificate of secondary education||secondary education (non-accomplished)||14||1–2||A-Levels||15,000 USD+|
|A-Levels||Advanced level||secondary education (accomplished)||16||2||University||15,000 USD+|
|BTEC||Business and Technology Education Board||secondary special education||14||2–3||University/ work||15,000 USD+|
|Oxbridge Preparation||Preparing for Oxford and Cambridge||secondary education (accomplished)||17||1||University||15,000 USD+|
|International Baccalaureate||International baccalaureate||secondary education (accomplished)||16||2||University||18,000 USD+|
|Foundation/ Pathway Year||Preparatory year||admission to the 1st year of university||17||1||University||14,000 USD+|
|NCUK||The Northern consortium||2 year university||17,5||1||2 year University of NCUK||13,000 USD+|
|Special Preparation (Medics/Math/Business)||Specialized training||-||14||optional||optional||4,000 USD+|
|Academic English||Academic English||Language school||8 +||6–12 months||School or University||8,000 USD+|
|1||Cardiff Sixth Form College|
|2||National Mathematics and Science College|
|3||Abbey College Cambridge|
|9||King's College St Michael’s|
|11||Chelsea Independent College|
|15||St Clare's Oxford|
|19||Ealing Independent College|
|20||Cambridge Tutors College|
Top 10 best universities in Netherlands 2022
|1||University of Toronto|
|3||University of British Columbia|
|4||University of Alberta|
|5||Simon Fraser University|
|7||University of Windsor|
|9||University of Guelph|
|11||University of Manitoba|
|12||University of Waterloo|
|13||Royal Roads University|
|14||Vancouver Film School|
|15||Kwantlen Polytechnic University|
|16||University of Calgary|
|19||University of Ottawa|
|22||University of Regina|
|24||Thompson Rivers University|
|26||Vancouver Island University|
|28||Centennial College Toronto|
|33||Saint Clair College|
Accommodation in Netherlands per month
|Shared room outside of centre||331$|
|Shared room in city centre||451$|
|1 bedroom apartment outside of centre||604$|
|1 bedroom apartment in city centre||822$|
|Consular fee of the embassy||€35||€311|
|Flight (Moscow - Amsterdam - Moscow)||€145||€580|
|Delivery of invitations by express mail||€67||€80|