- The advantages of education for foreign students in Scotland
- Organization of education in Scotland
- Secondary education in Edinburgh schools
- Pre-university courses for foreign students for admission to a foreign university
- Language courses for study abroad
- The cost of education in Edinburgh
- List of examples of educational institutions with pre-university programs for foreign students
Edinburgh is the political and cultural center of Scotland, it divided into Old and New cities, a popular destination for tourists. Local people - educated and intelligent people, also live here some of the best teachers in the world, and the overall standard of living is very high. Historical value has many attractions, and the capital of Scotland has always been creative: many writers created their own literary masterpieces here, and in 2004, at the initiative of UNESCO, Edinburgh was awarded the title "City of Literature".
The advantages of education for foreign students in Scotland
In Edinburgh, the program of teaching students is consistent with the high quality of Scottish education and has the following features:
- possibility of transfer after preparatory courses for a bachelor's program without additional tests
- qualitative teaching methods
- high level of organization
- safe country
- link schools with prestigious universities around the world
- wide range of knowledge
- international diplomas, certificates are accepted by educational institutions all over the world
- impeccable reputation of educational institutions.
Education in Edinburgh has high rankings on the world stage and is popular with foreign students.
Organization of education in Scotland
- 3-5 years: pre-school education
- 5-12 years old: primary school
- 12-16 years: compulsory secondary education
- 16-18 years: the highest level of secondary education
- from 18 years: higher education.
Secondary education in Edinburgh schools
Children in Edinburgh start their education in primary school at the age of 7, and it is enough for foreign students to have a high level of English for admission. Scottish children study in public schools, for foreign students are available private and boarding schools.
The student attends secondary school from the age of 12 to 15-16, at the end of the day the students take exams and receive a Scottish Certificate of Education diploma. After middle-class students choose: to continue schooling and get a second diploma of Higher Grade or go to college.
For admission to prestigious and elite universities abroad, it is important to additionally finish the "6 year" of the high school (Sixth Year), take exams and get the Scottish Certificate of Sixth Year Studies.
Forms of education:
- learning in-game
- interactive workshops
- work in groups
- individual lessons
- laboratory works
Pre-university courses for foreign students for admission to a foreign university
- International Baccalaureate - the program for 2 years to prepare for admission, has several compulsory disciplines to study and profile to choose from; In contrast to A-Level, it is suitable for students who have not yet decided on their future profession.
- International Foundation - an annual program of pre-university program is great for foreign students who want to improve their academic skills, level of thinking and level of English. It should be borne in mind that not all universities accept the diploma of the International Foundation, for example, Oxford and Cambridge universities consider it insufficient.
- International Year One - the program replaces one year of study at the undergraduate course at the university. Foreign students after graduation can apply for a program to obtain the necessary academic knowledge for admission to the university.
- A-Level - the course allows you to carefully study the core subjects before entering the university; the program is designed for 2 years. For the first year of schooling, students choose 4-5 subjects, the curriculum for the second year provides for up to 3 subjects to choose from. An approximate analogue of the International Baccalaureate.
Language courses for study abroad
In Edinburgh, for foreign students, language courses are organized all year round, the programs for summer are very popular. On linguistic programs it is possible to improve the level of academic English, prepare for IELTS, CELTA, CAE, FCE, study business English and more. If a student of the university does not have enough of his level of language skills, then in parallel with basic education he can engage in additional linguistic courses in groups or individually.
The cost of education in Edinburgh
The price for education differs depending on the degree of prestige and popularity of the institution, residence / meal and program.
The approximate cost of pre-university courses in Edinburgh:
- program International Baccalaureate = from 10,415 £ / term
- program International Foundation = from 5,085 £ / trimester
- International Year One = from 11,900 £ / 2 semesters
- course A-Level = from 6,100 £ / term
- English courses = from 570 £ /2 weeks
- English courses in preparation for IELTS = from 650 £ / 2 weeks.
List of examples of educational institutions with pre-university programs for foreign students
- Edinburgh Napier University is a modern and prestigious university that enables students from all over the world to study the International Year One program in several fields of science. After the completion of the program, the student has the opportunity to enroll in the same university in order to obtain a bachelor's degree. The university occupies a leading position in the TOP lists of institutions in terms of the level of technical equipment of the campus.
- Fettes college is a popular boarding school in Edinburgh for students: a large percentage of students go on to the top universities of the world, for example, to Oxford and Cambridge. Available courses: A-Level (16-18 years) and International Baccalaureate (16-18 years).
- University of Edinburgh - the leading institute in Edinburgh offers a preparatory program for the International Foundation with the study of additional subjects and English, and with the successful completion of the course, admission to the undergraduate program is guaranteed. Academic English course is available.
- Hampstead School of English - the school is located in a prestigious district of Edinburgh and invites children and adults to learn English on different programs. The cost will depend on the intensity of education, effective methods of teaching children and adults.