Fettes College Private School
Description of Fettes College Private School
- Type of education: boarding school, co-education;
- Location Fettes college: Edinburgh, Scotland;
- Students age: 7-18 years;
- The total number of Fettes college students: 670 people, 80% of whom are studying at a boarding house.
Fettes college is a prestigious, rating boarding school in Edinburgh. Academic achievements, which international students demonstrate every year, are known throughout Britain, about 10% of graduates enter Oxbridge every year. Among the students the universities of Durham, Loughborough, Manchester, Warwick and Bristol are popular. Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair at one time graduated from this institution. Fettes college was mentioned in the novel "We Live Only Twice"- the legendary James Bond, agent 007, moved to this college after Eton. The school is proud of the honorary status of IB World School - only three Scottish schools have this title, and in 2001 Fettes College was recognized as the Scottish School of the Year. The educational institution adopted a joint type of training. Travel time to the international airport will be approximately 25 minutes.
The Fates College curriculum combines the best features of the British, Welsh and Scottish education system. You can check out all best private schools in Glasgow and other cities to find more information about schooling in Scotland. Senior students can choose the program to continue their education: A-Level, International Baccalaureate, Highers.
Before enrolling in a school you will need:
- Children 7-12 years old: test of knowledge of English and mathematics, test for logical thinking + characteristics and assessments from the previous school;
- Children 13-16 years: entrance test for knowledge English and mathematics, two personal interviews + characteristics and assessments from a previous school;
- Pupils of the 16 and 18 years old entering the Sixth Form: English exam + two exams on selected subjects + general education certificate received in Russia + characteristics and grades from the previous school.
The college constantly holds open days and so-called taster days, during which the entrants can attend several classes and try themselves in the role of a student.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Fettes College Private School
Accommodation, meals, prices
There are 10 comfortable boarding houses for children of Fettes College: 2 designed for junior schoolchildren, 4 for girls of 13-18 years and 4 houses for boys of 13-18 years. The last year of training international students spend in the common residence of Craigleith. Educators live in the same building with the pupils and always ready to help children solve domestic and organizational issues, council help, they follow the order and safety of the students, participate with them in group activities.
Meals are organized according to the principle of full boarding - three times a day - in a spacious school cafeteria. The meal is varied and balanced, pupils are provided with a wide range of delicious dishes; On a separate request, you can arrange a separate table (for example, vegetarian or dietary).
Subjects and sports
Subject list: Acting skills, biology, chemistry, computer science, drama, economics, geography, history, music, physical Culture, physics, Religious studies
Activity list: basketball, fencing, fitness, hockey, lacrosse, netball, rugby, sailing, Squash, swimming, tennis, track-and-field athletics
According to the results of 2019:
- A Level: 68.48% of students received grades A through A *.
- GCSE: 71% of students earned grades A - A *.
- IB: 56% of students received grades equivalent to A - A *.
Facilities and equipment at Fettes College Private School
The Fettes College campus is located near the central part of Edinburgh: the main building was built in the 19th century and is entirely in the style of Scottish baroque. It is a unique historical and architectural monument, within which, however, modern and innovative infrastructure is located. The territory for students is equipped with functional scientific laboratories, libraries, sport fields and games grounds, a swimming pool, a large modern gymnasium, studios for music and creativity.
Sport and physical culture are given great attention: students can try themselves in archery, team games, go swimming or track and field, attend the fencing section. Boys often play cricket, hockey and rugby, girls choose lacrosse and tennis. There is also a cadet squad in the school that provides the possibility of military training: driving, yachting (sailing) or light aircraft, scuba diving, etc.
For outdoor games there is an artificial turf with illumination, students are allowed access to the shooting gallery, to the climbing wall, tennis courts. The sports program is an integral part of the classes, all children participate in group games and competitions on a daily basis.
The school employs a large number of creative studios and clubs on interests: auto, photography, cooking, drawing, knitting, playing drums and bagpipes.
Children often participate in charity and volunteer programs, they are involved in community service, go on a variety of excursions and exciting trips.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year is divided into trimesters: autumn (02.09.2015 - 15.12.2015), spring (07.01.2016 - 24.03.2016) and summer (18.04.2016 - 02.07.2016).
- registration fee;
- air travel.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Fettes College Private School
Here, the territory is like a beautiful, well-kept park, and the teachers are almost Nobel winners, and you decide to go to the sport - so the coaches will be happy to prepare you for the Olympics.
Many children of the rich and powerful are studying here, the school is considered very prestigious - and therefore the administration works excelently. There are parents reports, conference calls via Skype, photos from any event, e-magazines, school portal with separate access. But at the same time, teachers do not creep before anyone: they are extremely polite, but they ask strictly.
We have been studying for the second year (13 and 14 years, respectively) and are happy with everything, we do not plan to change it.
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.