- Features of education in American schools, language of instruction, scholarships
- The best schools in the USA
- Conditions of admission and prices
Studying in the USA for foreign students is a great opportunity to gain fundamental knowledge in the English-speaking environment. Educational programs for foreign students will allow to tighten academic knowledge, improve the language, get quality education and an advantage in the entrance examinations to the university.
Features of education in American schools, language of instruction, scholarships
Features of education: teaching in American schools is of an intensive nature, combines the theoretical part and the compulsory practical, which allows you to select the most relevant information for students. The American school is based on 2 principles: all-round development and preparation for independent life, therefore, unlike the domestic school abroad, the student is expected to develop fully.
Language of instruction: English, therefore, to adapt to a new environment and successful study, foreign students need to develop all the basic language skills: reading, writing, speaking, listening to English. In this regard, the requirement of language proficiency at a sufficient level is one of the main conditions for admission for students. If the student has sufficient knowledge, but hesitantly uses them in practice, he can be enrolled in school, but within 6 months he must significantly improve his knowledge on additional courses, otherwise deduction is likely. Usually in schools for beginners-foreign students special linguistic courses with language learning are developed.
Major programs: the greatest popularity among foreign students enjoys the opportunity to get education in America after 8-9 grades. Various types of programs for middle classes are offered, from which the student chooses the most suitable:
- American High School Diploma - the program is more popular: at the end of the course, students receive a diploma of secondary education
- International Baccalaureate, or IB Diploma - for students who graduated from the 10th grade, specializes in preparation for the university
- Advanced Placement (AP) is a two-year course that prepares foreign students for university.
Types of schools: to choose a school and not to regret, it should be borne in mind that along with government agencies in America there are a large number of private schools that are distinguished by a higher level of comfort, equipment and quality of education.
Which school is better? For foreign students, boarding schools are best suited: thanks to residence in residences, it is easier for foreign students to adapt to life in the country and make new friends.
Prices: Tuition fees at boarding schools are correlated with the cost of studying at a university, but there are ways to cut costs. As a rule, schools offer their students scholarships for students with high academic achievement and material assistance to families in a difficult financial situation. Thus, the cost of education can sometimes be reduced by 2-3 times!
The best schools in the USA
In the United States there are many top schools that invite foreign students to receive a high-quality and very prestigious education - and there are a lot of people wishing to enroll in American schools. First of all, such excitement is connected with the fact that local diplomas (especially private schools) are highly appreciated, and the level of the received preparation allows you to easily enter the leading universities in Europe and the United States. In order to choose the most suitable place of study, you should look at the list of offered programs, the advantages of schools, and also pay attention to the rankings of the best schools in the USA. Below as an example, only a small part of prestigious schools and the programs they offer are presented:
- Brattleboro Union High School is a public school in Vermont, well known for its quality educational programs. The school works within the framework of the Nacel Open Door F-1 Public School Program and guarantees full-fledged comprehensive assistance. The school invites students of 15-18 years to the program of the senior classes. The cost of education will be from 36,190 $ per year.
- North Broward Preparatory School specializes in preparatory programs for students and is included in the TOP-50 of the best schools in the country. The school is located near Miami and has a good location. The programs of the school are of classical academic character, a great place in which is devoted to art classes. The cost of education for the academic year will be from 58,000 $.
- In Florida, the prestigious Windermere Preparatory School is located, which is very comfortable due to its excellent location in the beautiful countryside of Florida. The school offers a wide choice of programs of the senior classes and is famous for excellent pre-university preparation. The cost will be from 57,000 $ per year.
- In Pennsylvania, there is Grier boarding school for girls, in which programs for grades 7-12 are developed. Curriculums harmoniously combine academic subjects, art and sports; programs AP, TOEFL / ESL, Elite Scholar Classes are offered. The cost of education will be from 25,275 $ per semester (1/2 academic year).
- Milton Academy is a popular boarding school in the state of Massachusetts, which is not strictly selective and religious. Students 15-17 years of age offer highly effective combined courses for university preparation. The cost of education will be from 27,175 $ per semester.
Conditions of admission and prices
- Language and academic requirements: for admission to American schools it is necessary to take an examination to determine the level of the language. Language requirements - passing the IELTS exam is not lower than 4.5 points, it is also possible to present a TOEFL certificate. Academic requirement for students: a positive average score of a certificate or report card (the higher, the better). Competition in American private schools is an average of 10 people per seat.
- Package of documents: submit a package of documents for the year before receipt, which includes a two-year evaluation statement, recommendations of the class teacher and teachers, a history of vaccinations and a medical certificate, letters of commendation and medals, a birth certificate and a photo.
- Other requirements: as a rule, students are waiting for a personal interview with a representative of the admissions committee. Perhaps the applicant will be asked to write an essay or take a test, but not only the level of preparation, but also the student's personal qualities: his interest, diligence in study, what subjects are interesting to him and whether they coincide with the specialization of the school.
- Tuition fees: The cost varies from 55,000 $ to 90,000 $ per year.
- Factors affecting the cost: the location of the school, the living conditions, the status of the school, the proposed programs. Usually the cost includes education and accommodation.
Additional payment is possible:
- Registration fee
- Educational materials
- Medical insurance policy
- Excursion program
- Laboratory and practical exercises
- Sports and school uniform.
SMAPSE experts should note that it is possible to learn more about what is included in the cost of a particular school and what additional costs will be required from our specialists. SMAPSE portal is based on close interaction with the audited educational institutions and assumes direct agreements on cooperation. Services for admission to institutions, consultations of SMAPSE specialists are free of charge.