- Doctoral studies abroad
- Payment for doctoral studies abroad
- Benefits of Ph.D. Degree
- Admission requirements
What is Ph.D.?
The decoding of the Philosophy Doctor, surprisingly, has nothing similar with philosophy. In ancient Greece, philosophy reflected knowledge of all areas of the world. Philosophers of that time reflected on the issues of all scientific spheres - from the state to the causes of the emergence of the universe: so people tried to know the world around them.
Only in the Middle Ages did three sciences (theology, medicine, law) become independent - the remaining areas still remained under the name “philosophy”, that is, this science remained very blurred, its subject included many different directions.
At that time, only 4 sciences were taught in ancient universities :
The names of these subjects have been preserved to this day.
Doctoral studies abroad
Students who study for doctoral studies focus on writing a dissertation (doctoral thesis). In addition to it, students need to attend lectures, seminars, and sometimes also teach or work as an assistant. Teaching and assistant activities are usually needed for those who want to participate in scholarship programs (assistantship).
Doctoral dissertation is written throughout all 3 years at the university . Students Ph.D. must choose and agree on the topic of their work at the very beginning of education, and it should be as wide as possible. The dissertation should not be on a strictly defined narrow topic, as happens in the final work of the master. The volume of the dissertation can reach up to 300 pages, the material used for work should be relevant. At least 1/3 of the work should be thought and reasoning (synthesis) of the student on the problem he is studying. Students often work on a dissertation of 5-7 years instead of the required 3, which shows how difficult it can be.
Payment for doctoral studies abroad
Doctoral programs are usually more expensive than other academic programs (undergraduate, graduate): the exact price depends on the country in which the study takes place and the type of university . But there is also the opportunity to study on the program for free - under a scholarship.
- The first scholarship option has already been mentioned above - receiving scholarships for teaching or assistant activities. The problem is that several students usually apply for a scholarship, which means that the most competitive candidate will be able to get it. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of the level of knowledge in the chosen field, research interests and their compliance with the activities of the staff of the scientific department. The best option for a student is to find a supervisor with whom he will work in one direction - this will increase his chances of receiving a scholarship.
- The second option is offered by private and public funds. Doctoral students have a large number of independent sources offering scholarships: to receive it, a student must be distinguished by good academic performance, the importance of the research project, and great interest in the chosen discipline.
Benefits of Ph.D. Degree
- Relevance of knowledge
In the modern world, everything is changing rapidly, new knowledge is emerging - and it is necessary to possess it to build a career. So many people often “come off” from work and get a Ph.D. With its help, deeper and more relevant knowledge appears that is so important in work. Also, a doctor’s diploma makes it possible to engage in serious scientific activity.
- High salary
Today, the holder of the Ph.D degree can earn 2 times more than the holder of a bachelor's or master's degree. Recently, the dependence of salary on the existing academic degree has been clearly traced: the higher it is, the higher the income. It is becoming increasingly difficult to complete doctoral studies every year, which also plays a role in the formation of wages.
- Knowledge level
Degree Ph.D. it is not so easy to obtain, which indicates the high competence of its owner. Graduates of doctoral studies have a large amount of knowledge and skills.
- Diploma of previous higher education (master's degree)
- Certificate confirming knowledge of the language in which the educational program is conducted
- Motivational writing and academic essay
- Letter of recommendation (from teacher, employer, etc.)
- Other additional documents - depends on the specific university and the chosen specialty.