- Best tips to enter US universities to study fashion, art, design and the media with preparation courses
- Admission to US universities without losing a year for foreign students. Preliminary programs in the arts, design and the media
- How to enter UK universities for studying Arts, design and the media?
- Best internships and employment in the USA and the UK during and after studying.
Fashion, Arts, Media and Design are popular and sought after areas among foreign students throughout the world, especially in England and the United States. This article describes the main ways to obtain higher education in these areas, the possibility of internships and subsequent employment.
Education in the United Kingdom and the USA in the field of art, fashion, design, media, is highly valued: foreign universities seek to select the most talented and gifted students to provide them with an opportunity to realize their talents into life, having received a demanded and well-paid profession.
Best tips to enter US universities to study fashion, art, design and the media with preparation courses
For successful admission it is necessary to choose the correct preparatory program: before the university it is necessary to pass a course at Kings College. These schools are located in a variety of US cities (and not only) and provide effective preliminary courses that will help you enter the chosen university without problems. The network of Kings College institutions is represented by the following educational institutions:
- Kings College Los Angeles
- Kings College Concordia
- Kings College New Jersey Rider University
- Kings College Boston
The profile universities in the United States have excellent equipment (modern technology for practical and theoretical studies), as well as a balance of theoretical and practical lessons that allow you to consolidate your knowledge in practice right away.
Below there are some universities where our students enter to study the arts.
The University is 51st in the overall ranking of US universities. This is a private university with a vivid research focus: today, 16,000 students study at more than 180 programs and courses. The following profile programs for Bachelor's and Master's are provided here:
- Broadcast Journalism
- Media Management
- Theatrical art.
The University is located in the city of Coral Gables very close to Miami: students can enjoy bright sun and comfortable climate for a year. Requirements for applicants are as follows:
This university is 58 in the overall national ranking. It is a private university in the heart of Boston, one of the most vibrant university cities in the United States. Its structure includes a business school, a law faculty and the College of Sciences and Arts. The total number of students reaches 5,500 people, Bachelor's and Master's programs are available.
This college is ranked 10th among universities in the northern part of the country. It is also located in Boston, in its historical part, and the performing arts and communications are its main directions. The total number of students is 3,700 people, the programs for Bachelor's and Master's programs have been developed.
115th place in the national ranking of universities. It was founded in 1865, and now the number of its students reaches 19,300 people (Master's and Bachelor's). The University of Kansas is one of the largest national research centers: its structure includes 5 buildings in different cities, 13 schools and departments, more than 390 programs.
In addition, foreign students can pay attention to:
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design
- University of La Verne
- Loyola Marymount University
- Chapman University
- Ithaca College
- Brooks Institute: Photography and Film School
Admission to US universities without losing a year for foreign students. Preliminary programs in the arts, design and the media
Many US universities offer Pathway programs in their main buildings, with subsequent enrollment in the second year of the Bachelor's program. Below there are some universities in the USA where it is possible to study arts, design and the media:
- Drew University - during studying Art Bachelor's Programs it offer to pass a semester in New York in Contemporary Art. Students 2 days a week have internships in galleries, museums, art spaces of New York. Undergraduate Pathway in the Arts leads to the 3rd course of the programs Art, Art History, Music or Theater.
- The University of South Florida - program: Undergraduate Pathway in Visual And Performing Arts, allows entering the 2nd course of the following programs:
- School of Architecture and Design: Master's of Architecture.
- School of Arts and History of Art: BA Art History, Studio Art BA / BFA
- Music School: Acoustic & Electricity BM, Jazz Studies BM, Music Composition BM, Music Education BS, Music Performance BM, Music Studies BA.
- Theatrical School and Dance School: Dance Performance BFA, Dance Studies BA, Theater Arts BA, Theater Design BA / BFA, Theater Performance BA.
- Marshall University - Preparatory program in the arts for the second year Bachelor in Arts in such specialties as Graphic Design, Ceramics, Drawing, Photography, Printing, Sculpture.
How to enter UK universities for studying Arts, design and the media?
TOP-4 ways to enter the desired arts program:
- The end of the classical British high school program - A-level (usually lasts 2 years, children are accepted after grade 10), which gives you the opportunity to enter any university in the world.
- Foundation program in the UK - lasts 1 year (admission after the 11th grade). The main difference here is that the program can take place both at colleges and at universities. If you pass Foundation program at the college, then after you can submit results to 5 UK universities. If you pass the Foundation program at the university, then you are guaranteed to enter this university.
- The program's University Pathway analogue is also possible both at universities and at colleges
- International Year 1 at universities is a fairly new format aimed at international students. It is held at the university and gives an opportunity after this program to be transferred to the 2 nd year of the Bachelor's degree to this university.
Next, SMAPSE experts bring to your attention some educational institutions where it is possible to pass the above described programs:
- CSVPA - Cambridge School of Visual and Performing Arts - Higher School of Arts - It is possible to study Foundation programs, as well as further higher education
- Abbey DLD College London - the most modern international college in London - Foundation and A-level program.
- The Institute of Marangoni London - the highest institute of design with cases all over the world - training in Foundation programs, as well as further higher education
- Anglia Ruskin University - Here you can do the preparatory program of the University Pathway with the subsequent admission to the main Bachelor's program.
- Manchester Metropolitan University - Preparatory Program of the International Foundation in Art and Design. After it, you can enter one of the following specialties in the Arts Department:
- BA (Hons) Fasion Art Direction
- BA (Hons) Animation
- BA (Hons) BA (Hons) Fashion Design and Technology - Menswear
- BA (Hons) Fashion Design and Technology - Sportswear
- BA (Hons) Filmmaking
- BA (Hons) Fine Art
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- BA (Hons) Illustration with Animation
- BA (Hons) Interactive Arts
- BA (Hons) Interior Design
- BA (Hons) Photography
- BA (Hons) Textiles in Practice
- BA (Hons) Three Dimensional Design
- INTU Univeristy of Gloucestershire University - International Foundation for Art, Design and Media (International Preparatory Program for Arts, Design and Media). After preparation, students are invited to the following faculty:
- International Educational Center INTO London - here you can study International Foundation program in arts and design. The INTO London Center is not tied to a specific university, but prepares students for entering universities in the field of art and design in the UK.
Best internships and employment in the USA and the UK during and after studying.
Most American universities are very welcoming internship programs (paid or free employment) and strongly encourage the application of theoretical knowledge in practice. Of course, admission to such programs depends on the level of students and is not guaranteed, but in principle it is possible in a variety of universities.
For example, there are a few options for universities with similar programs, see the description on the links:
- Academy of Art University
- California College of Arts
- Otis College of Art and Design
- Cal State LA
When a student studies in College or university, he / she must previously obtain a student visa of F1, which entitles to work up to 20 hours per week. Students of art departments can also engage in paid freelance activities, not registering anywhere, and this is absolutely normal.
It is also important to know that in the US there is a 4-year bachelor's degree, after which the student has the right to stay in the United States for 1 year for the Optional Practical Training (OPT) internship. If you study what is called STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), you can stay on OPT for up to 36 months.
In the UK, in turn, the so-called Sandwich courses are popular. In the UK the Bachelor's degree lasts 3 years, and if it's Sandwich, then + 1 year of internship is added, that is 4 years in total.
Internship takes place at the third year of study, and not after graduation, that is, the student returns to the fourth year of university. The internship can be both paid and unpaid.
The internship does not guarantee subsequent employment, but the internship, of course, improves the student's chances of further employment. Each university has Career Services, with which students must actively work: they conduct lectures from employers, job fairs, teach how to make a resume, interview, and so on, they can also pick up some short-term internship or work-in-time learning.
The university teaches students how to find work, but the student himself must be the initiator of all actions!
If you are considering art, fashion, design and media education, please contact SMAPSE specialists at any time by email@example.com