Flickering posters on Times Square, wide streets with skyscrapers, showcases of fashionable shops and popular world mass markets, the elite headquarters of international companies and the financial center of the Western Hemisphere - all this is about the Big Apple. In modern conditions, sending a child to study in New York and realizing the American dream is quite possible! In this article, SMAPSE experts collected TOP-5 most important things you need to know to study in New York.
New York is the largest and most populous city in the United States: the population is characterized by ethnic and racial diversity, so foreign students will easily join the local environment. Such an important decision as studying abroad should be well balanced - it is better to know in advance about the possible difficulties and pitfalls if you are determined to send your child to study in New York.
TOP-5 most important things you need to know about education in New York
- The area matters. The total land area of the city is 790 square meters. km., because the district and locality plays a big role in choosing a school. First of all, the closer the school, the more convenient it will be for student to come to classes. Secondly, in a big city it is easy to get lost or run into dysfunctional representatives of the local population. Of course, the dark times of street drug dealers in the Lower East Side are over, and crime rankes in the city are decreasing every year. The safest and most expensive area for foreign students is Manhattan, but at the same time, even such remote areas as the Bronx and Harlem are today in the process of gentrification.
- School buses. Yes, yellow buses take students to New York schools every day for free. Prestigious private schools can provide another transport option - something like a taxi for students: unlike yellow buses (picking up children at certain stops). A private taxi takes directly from the door of the house.
- Academic excellence. Schools in New York in every way encourage the talents and abilities of children. The best students who are fluent in mastering the basic school curriculum can expect to be transferred to classes for talented children.
- Sat. Pupils of US schools to enter universities pass the SAT assessment test, the results of which decide their further chances for higher education in the United States. Days of passing the SAT test are also organized for foreign students in specialized centers accredited by the College Board. This means that, unlike British and some European universities, colleges and universities in New York accept foreign students without catching up the difference in academic programs.
- There are more than 120 colleges in the city (this is the largest city in the United States by the number of educational institutions), teaching undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs.
Education in New York for foreign students
The city has many elite and prestigious private schools for separate and joint education, American and international educational programs. The best schools in New York, where you should send your child to study:
Together they make up the so-called “Ivy Preparatory League”. To secure a place in one of the prestigious schools, it is worth filing an application for the year. Most schools conduct a tour of the territory and meetings for parents. Some ask applicants to pass a small intellectual test or participate in a role-playing game.
The cost of studying in New York is one of the highest in the country: on average, an annual check for parents is 40,000 $ per student. The table below shows the approximate cost of studying with accommodation per year for various types of programs, if you decide to send your child to study in New York:
48,300 $ - 83,000 $
42,000 $ - 83,000 $
48,300 $ - 83,000 $
Diploma + Advanced Placement
29,700 $ - 83,000 $
Higher education in New York: cost, terms of admission
To enter US universities you will need a small package of documents:
- University completed form
- School certificate with grades
- Letter of recommendation from the teacher or director
- Motivation letter
- SAT and TOEFL test results.
If there is no confidence in knowledge of the English language, then it would be advisable to take educational courses in the format of summer camps, short-term programs abroad, before sending the child to study in New York.
Top private universities in New York and popular areas of study
New York Institute of Technology
An application to each university can be submitted electronically, its cost can reach up to 150 $, depending on the university. Of great importance when entering American universities is the presence of a hobby, sports interests and participation in public life. Admission commissions are favorable to the personal hobbies of applicants - it is worth remembering and attaching certificates of prizes and achievements.
The cost of higher education in New York for foreign students
6,700 $ -27,500 $
7,000 $ -43,500 $
12,000 $ 14,000 $
12,100 $ -25,000 $
Admission to school in New York on the example of Ross School
Ross School was founded in 1991 and firmly established its reputation as an elite institution in East Hampton. List of required documents and conditions for admission:
- report card with grades for 2-3 years
- language certificate (or a language test is organized at school)
- interview with the selection committee
- letters of recommendation from teachers
- letters of appreciation, certificates (if any)
- vaccination certificate
- copy of a foreign passport
- a photo
- birth certificate
Prices for studies in the middle classes and the Diploma + Advanced Placement program start at 57,900 $ per year with accommodation and meals. The following expenses are additionally paid:
- Student registration = 415 $
- Use of school infrastructure and technology = 1,030 $
- Educational materials and library = 515 $
- Health insurance = 1,540 $
- Supervision = 1,650 $
- Extracurricular leisure activities = 1,805 $
- Excursions = 350 $
- Laboratory and practical exercises = 60 $
- Sports uniform = 55 $
- School bus, booking a room for the student during the holidays = 1,000 $.