- Why Choose Los Angeles?
- Higher education in Los Angeles
- What specialties are studied in Los Angeles
- Los Angeles University Rankings
- University requirements
- Secondary education in Los Angeles
- Summer Vacation in Los Angeles
- Popular language courses and summer camps in Los Angeles
Los Angeles is a major center for education, industry and science in the United States . The largest companies work here and the best training centers are open. It is not surprising that more than one and a half million students from all over the world study in this city! After studying in Los Angeles, students get a unique experience of living in a multicultural environment, and upon completion of their studies, they have an excellent start for a career anywhere in the world.
Why Choose Los Angeles?
- Los Angeles is the second largest city in the United States and the largest center for education and science. In addition, this is a great route for students: take at least excellent weather and conditions for outdoor activities. Climbing, surfing and hiking are the most popular recreational activities in Los Angeles.
- Active students will always find something to their liking here. The number of museums per capita in the city is the largest in the world. Take a look at the canvases of Renoir, Rembrandt and Van Gogh or study contemporary art - all this is in the hands of students of Los Angeles universities.
- Every sixth Los Angeles resident works in the creative industry, many of them in Hollywood. There are three major film companies operating in the show business capital. For these reasons, students who dream of a career in the film industry travel to Los Angeles. They often get excellent conditions for a good start: while still studying, you can take part in major festivals, become an intern on a set or practice in a world famous theater.
- But the city is no less interesting for students wishing to get a technical education. Large research centers operate here - the University of California, the University of Southern California and the California Institute of Technology. The latter has the Palomar Observatory, the jet propulsion laboratory from which NASA's robotic spacecraft are launched.
Higher education in Los Angeles
There are more than 40 higher educational institutions in the city with different price ranges for programs. Colleges and universities offer undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs. It is worth mentioning two-year community colleges - a good option for students who want to save on tuition and get started quickly.
You can get education in the United States only on a paid basis, while not all Americans can afford to study at universities. There are elite universities, which include legendary world-renowned universities - they are at the top of national and international tops, because their diplomas are highly valued all over the world. For instance:
- A year of study at the top university University of California Los Angeles with accommodation in a university dormitory costs about $ 35,000 for Americans and about $ 59,000 for foreigners.
- Study, accommodation and meals at CalTech will cost $ 63,500 per year.
But top universities are just a small part of what Los Angeles offers to students. The city has relatively inexpensive and decent training options:
- Santa Monica College costs about $ 9000 per year: it is one of the most affordable colleges in the city.
- Two-year City College of Los Angeles offers programs from $ 8,000 per year
- California State University
- California State University Los Angeles (CSULA) - the cost of the year is about $ 17,000.
US universities have scholarship programs that cover 5-100% of the tuition fees.
What specialties are studied in Los Angeles
Los Angeles is equally good for creative and technical students. The most popular programs in universities:
- Visual and performing arts
- The medicine
- Natural Sciences
- Social Sciences
Here is a rating of specialties that took the highest places in national and international subject rankings in 2020-2021:
Psychology Program at the University of California, Los Angeles
According to the US News: Best Grad Schools (US) ranking, it is ranked first in the world and in the United States.
Communication and Media at the University of Southern California
According to the QS World University Rankings By Subject, it is ranked 2nd in the world and 1st in the United States.
Molecular biology and genetics
NTU by Subject recognized the program at the University of California as one of the best in the world: 7th in the US, 12th in the world.
Los Angeles University Rankings
University of Southern California
- City rating = 1
- National rating = 19.
University of California, Los Angeles
- City rating = 2
- National rating = 26.
- City rating = 3
- National rating = 89.
- City rating = 4
- National rating = 100.
- City rating = 5
- National rating = 252.
California State University, Los Angeles
- City rating = 6
- National rating = 401-500.
When applying to universities and colleges, you may face high competition for places. For these reasons, experts in the field of foreign education recommend starting preparation in a year or two and studying the requirements of priority universities in detail. In the United States, there is no unified education system, therefore the conditions for entering universities may be different. Here are the most common, basic requirements for foreign applicants:
- Documents of graduation from school or other educational institution (or information about the grades received in recent years, if there is no certificate yet)
- SAT or ACT test results
- Language certificates (TOEFL, IELTS or PTE)
- Recommendations from teachers (in math or science, in the humanities or social sciences)
- Financial Assistance Application or Refusal
- Additional materials (publications, information about extracurricular activities, etc.).
Secondary education in Los Angeles
Finishing school in America is an excellent solution for those who plan to enter American universities. Graduates of local schools have already adapted to the new education system and received sufficient language training for admission to universities.
International students can enroll in public and private schools in Los Angeles. The curriculum in educational institutions can be built according to the American or international educational model. The quality of instruction in public schools in Los Angeles depends on the location and status of the institution.
Private and international schools often offer comfortable learning and living conditions on campus in cozy residences. The curriculum includes compulsory and elective subjects, as well as participation in extracurricular circles and sections. Let's talk about international and private schools for Russians - they are often ideal for children who came from other countries:
Goethe International Charter School (GICS)
- Program: International Baccalaureate
- Language of instruction: German, English.
International School of Los Angeles
- Program: International Baccalaureate
- Language of instruction: English, French
- Cost: about $ 25,000 per year.
- Program: Advanced Placement
- Language of instruction: English
- Cost: about $ 66,000 per year.
Summer Vacation in Los Angeles
Spending the summer in sunny Los Angeles means discovering American culture, unique nature, and making new friends. And it's all in English! For these reasons, Los Angeles language courses and summer camps are popular with foreigners. Children from all over the world come to feel the California summer! Here are the statistics of students of a popular language school in San Diego:
- 19% = Brazil
- 8% = Korea
- 18% = Saudi Arabia
- 7% = Latin America
- 8% = Japan
- 20% = Europe
- 8% = Asian countries
- 12% = others.
The issue of living while studying is often helped by training centers - some have all the necessary infrastructure and invite you to study and live on campus, others enter into agreements with providers. Here are the approximate prices for accommodation (per week):
- Single room - $ 295
- Double room - 240 $
- Single room in the residence - $ 488
- Double room - 262 $.
Summer programs for schoolchildren include daily English lessons, visiting circles and sections, excursions, participation in recreational activities. For example, the following excursions are included in the Kaplan Los Angeles Westwood program:
- Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Observatory at Griffith
- Excursions in Beverly Hills and Hollywood
- Shopping on Rodeo Drive
- Attending an LA Lakers, LA Dodgers, or LA Galaxy game
- Drive to Las Vegas or Yosemite National Park.
Upon completion of the training, program participants receive prestigious language certificates indicating the language level.
Popular language courses and summer camps in Los Angeles
- Programs: Junior Program
- Accommodation cost: $ 1690 per week.
- Programs: General English 16+, Intensive English, Academic Semester, Academic Year, Business Supplementary, GRE Exam Preparation Course, TOEFL iBT Exam Preparation and Academic English, Cambridge Preparation Course
- Cost: from $ 470 per week.
- Programs: Summer English for Teens
- Accommodation cost: from $ 2400 per week.
- Programs: Esports Player Development and Data Science, Augmented Reality Mobile App Development and others
- Accommodation prices: from $ 6149 for 2 weeks.