Master's degree is the stage of education that follows the bachelor's degree. This stage of studying can be both a continuation of an academic career and a deepening of their professional skills.
Australia, a country built by migrants, is incredibly hospitable to international students. It is one of the most popular and multicultural destinations for studying abroad,which allows international students to adapt easily. Australia ranks third in the world in terms of the number of students from abroad, is home to several of the world's leading universities.
The charm of this country is complemented by a unique and diverse nature: red deserts on one side and tropical forests on the other.
Advantages of studying Master's programs in Australia
- High level of education. Australian universities are annually present in international rankings in high positions. Current directions, highly qualified teachers and active financing of the educational sphere are the key to the success of Australian universities.
- Internships and further employment. Many study programmes at Australian universities include either employment or internships. This helps students to gain real professional experience, to understand what to expect from the chosen direction.
- High standard of living. Good ecology, beautiful nature and favorable climatic conditions are combined with a high level of comfort of everyday life.
- Quality control of education. The quality of educational services is regulated by law. Australia has laws that control educational standards and protect the rights of not only local but also international students.
- Uniqueness of educational programs. Despite the fact that the government is sensitive to the implementation of the learning process, the freedom in the choice, preparation and correction of educational programs remains with educational institutions.
- Cultural and natural heritage. The continent has more than 20 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, 500 national parks and more than 2700 protected areas, including wildlife sanctuaries and Aboriginal reserves.
- English language. Australia is an English-speaking country, teaching in universities is conducted in English. The accent of Australian English is significantly different from the classical British or familiar American, but this does not interfere with understanding. Teaching in English makes education more accessible to foreign students.
Types and content of Master's programs in Australia
There are more than 40 universities in Australia, most of them are public, many of these universities have their branches in different countries around the world. Studying Master's programs in Australia traditionally lasts 2 years, in the presence of a bachelor's degree with honors (Bachelor with Honours) - 1 year.
There are several formats of Master's courses:
- Classical master's degree,which involves in-depth study of specific subjects + writing a dissertation and projects. This format corresponds to the degrees ma (Master of Arts) or MSc (Master of Science).
- Change of direction. Here it is assumed that the student enters a new specialty for himself (and does not continue the existing one) and studies begin from the basics, gradually deepening knowledge. Such programs last at least 2 years.
- Diploma programs. Such programs last an average of 12 months and are offered to students as Pre-master programs.
Types of Master's programs in Australia
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) – Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science (MSc) – Master of Science
- Master of Laws (LLM) – Master of Laws
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) – Master of Philosophy
- Master of Engineering (MEng) – Master of Engineering.
Master's programs include all types of educational activities: lectures, seminars, group and individual work, research projects and dissertation writing.
Best universities to get Master's degree in Australia
- University of Newcastle (Top 160 universities in the world) - from $ 23 327 \ year
- Western Sydney University (Top 1 in business areas in Australia) - from $ 25 380 \ year
- Sydney University (Top 40 universities in the world) - from $ 36 600 \ year
- Griffith University (Top 1 Australia in the direction of "Design") - from $ 21 000 \ year
- University of Southern Queensland – 24 129$\year
- Australian National University - $27,768\year
- University of Adelaide (106 in the list of the best universities in the world) - 27 367 $ / year
- Curtin University – 27 215$/year
- University of Melbourne – from 30 537$/year
- James Cook University Brisbane - $23,300/year.
Admission requirements for Master's programs in Australia
- To obtain a master's degree in Australia, you must have a bachelor's degree in a related specialty or experience in this field. Less often in some universities it is allowed to study in the direction from scratch.
- The age of admission to master's courses is from 21 years. There are educational institutions that accept from 20 years.
- To study on the program, you must have a good level of English.
- The average academic score of the bachelor's diploma should have a high indicator.
- Some requirements may differ in different universities, they must be clarified on the websites of universities or consultants.
Documents required for getting Master's degree in Australia
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent)
- Certificate of English proficiency
- Motivation letter
- Letters of recommendation from teachers or employers
- Interview (optional)
- GRE/GMAT exam results (not everywhere)
Some universities may also have additional requirements that need to be clarified.
In Australia, there is no single system where all documents of applicants are accepted, so it is necessary to submit documents on the websites of universities.
Language requirements for foreign students
Student Visa in Australia
To obtain a long-term student visa, it is necessary that the educational institution is included in the CRICOS list (State Register of Educational Institutions and Courses for Students from Abroad). It is better to apply for a visa at least 6 weeks in time, because the period of its issuance is 4-6 weeks.
The applicant will need the following documents:
- Visa application form
- Confirmation of admission to the university
- Bank statements confirming the availability of funds
- Student's Written Statement (GTE) confirming that they are going to return home upon completion of their studies
- Certificate of Knowledge of English
- Medical certificate from accredited doctors at the embassy
- Medical insurance
- Certificate of no criminal record.
Cost of studying Master's programs in Australia
On average, for one year of master's degree, a student will pay $ 20,000 or more. MBA programs are more expensive.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
20 077-37 320$\year
Master of Science (MSc)
25 376-36 627$\year
Master of Laws (LLM)
23 304-27 000$\year
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
10 333-22 000$\year
Master of Engineering (MEng)
27 367-30 000$\year