- Education in European universities - features and types of programs
- How to enter the universities in Europe - the enrollment process and documentation
- The cost of studying at European universities for foreign students
Getting higher education in a European university is the best investment in education for foreign students. Universities in Europe open up opportunities for foreign students and local students. This is a diploma of education, which is quoted anywhere in the world, as well as the prospect of getting a prestigious, high-paying job in your home country or in the country of study. An educational document of the European type will help a young specialist to get ahead of other candidates in the labor market.
The options for obtaining higher education in Europe are more than enough. In every European country there is a university that is on the top list of institutions recognized as such not only within the framework of one state, but also in international rankings. All countries differ in terms of education and lifestyle in general. To make the right choice, SMAPSE experts offer the applicants to study more of the proposed options.
Education in European universities - features and types of programs
In addition to receiving a quality education, studying abroad gives students the opportunity to learn the language of the selected country at a very good level and immerse themselves in its culture and way of life. Each of the European countries has its own educational standards, educational systems and preparatory courses for foreign students. As a rule, foreign universities do not accept students immediately after graduation - to successfully pass the entrance examinations, the student also needs to undergo an intermediate stage of pre-university preparation in college or at a university. For these purposes, foreign countries offer students national curricula ( A-Level in Britain, Abitur in Germany, Baccalaureate in France, etc.), or apply international educational courses:
- Foudation. One of the most popular educational courses for high school. Such a program is used for pre-university education in the UK, the United States, Canada and not only. The annual course of the program will help foreign students to restructure themselves from the domestic educational system to foreign ones on academic subjects, as well as improve their English proficiency
- International Baccalaureate. International educational program, recognized throughout the EU. Within 1.5-2 years, the students of the course will study several disciplines from the general education course and increase the level of the chosen foreign language to the indicators required for higher education.
How to enter the universities in Europe - the enrollment process and documentation
From foreign students, admission to European universities in addition to certain academic education will require other efforts: for example, the collection of documentation for filing an application and financial matters.
Taking into account the following factors, admission to foreign higher schools in Europe will be most productive for the applicant:
- Have a suitable qualification for admission. Not all European universities accept foreign students on the basis of the secondary school certificate of thir country. This is due to the differences in educational systems. Therefore, the entrant should study at a university in his homeland at least one course, or be educated on one of the previously listed programs.
- To know a foreign language. Which of the languages to learn will depend directly on the foreign country where you plan to receive higher education. English is the most popular option for study in Europe. Many universities teach programs not only in the local language, but also in English, although it will not always be state language. This is especially true for educational institutions with international status. Usually the requirement for knowledge of English is about 6.5 IELTS points or 90 TOEFL points. Criteria for the national language depend directly on the country. The student needs to pass the exam depending on the chosen language, and if the candidate level is not less than Upper-Intermadiate, he will be able to get a certificate of passing the language test. The universities of some countries also conduct it directly in the enrollment process.
- Pass the necessary examinations. For admission to the European higher education institution at the Bachelor's level, in addition to the language certificate, students undergo additional entrance examinations in academic subjects. Usually introductory tests at universities are conducted in the national language. In the case of a master's degree, applicants will be required to pass a Graduate Record Examination, a standardized exam that determines the general level of knowledge of the applicant who received them at the first stage of higher education. Testing consists of a mathematical and linguistic part, and also includes essays. With the help of a single exam, a foreign student can enroll in a major number of British universities and in some European universities.
- Solve the financial issue. This item is earlier than the processing of documents and the filing of applications, because all this does not make much sense if the student does not have the financial ability to pay for studies abroad. At the same time in Europe, financial support for students, both local and foreign students, is widely distributed - scholarship programs and grants for education.
- Prepare the necessary documents. This is a key step in enrolling in foreign universities. Registration of papers and passing of tests will take time, therefore it is better to start preparation of documents 12 months before the beginning of education in a potential university in Europe. In addition to the requirements for documentation, special conditions can be assigned to the process of filing them: for example, in Germany, the papers must be in the envelope in a strictly defined order, otherwise the application is not subject to review and is refused.
The minimum list of documents required for an application is as follows:
- Certificate (or diploma of the first higher), translated into English;
- an extract with academic achievement for 2-3 academic years;
- certificate of passed language testing;
- recommendation letters (also translated);
- motivation letter;
- certificate of financial solvency.
The cost of studying at European universities for foreign students
The price of obtaining higher education in Europe will be directly related to the chosen country, because the standard of living differs in different states. So, the popular countries for studying in English - Britain and the USA - are considered the most expensive for teaching foreign students. A wide range of English-language programs is provided by the Netherlands (20,000 - 25,000 € / year), however, the cost here is several times higher than in Italy (10,000 - 25,000 € / year). In the latter case, the education will require a confident knowledge of the national language, as in France, Icelan, the Czech Republic, Hungary and so on. In Germany, almost all institutions of higher education study will be free for foreign students, but their level of German should be very confident. For living and other expenses in each of the listed countries, the student will spend from 500 to 1,000 € each month. Also do not forget about the purchase of air tickets, visa and insurance.