- What mistakes do students make when looking for work?
- 4 types of “permanent” students with poor job chances
The idea that no one needs students after university, “they don’t take it without experience", they do not teach anything at the university - they are eternal. But let's talk about the other side of the problem - the student himself. Maybe there is something wrong with him?
What mistakes do students make when looking for work?
High wage expectations
- Fact : according to surveys, students expect a very high salary when applying for their first job.
- Expert opinion: “A young person who expects to receive incredible money, probably, should live in a vacuum.Because if you go to any “work” site or just ask how much your acquaintances, friends, neighbors and relatives get, then such a figure simply will not appear".
Job search after graduation
- Fact : 56% of students answered that they could not find a job due to lack of work experience.
- The naked truth: if before looking for a job after the 5th year of the university was the norm, now it is not recommended to wait for a diploma. Large companies willingly select talented students afteк the 3rd year. It happens that after the first year of study, companies cooperating with universities look closely at students.
Hope for honors
- In reality: Most employers are not interested in the color of the diploma or the grades in the subjects. Interviewing and testing give a complete understanding of how a person learned, what he knows and can do.
Where to get experience?
- Fact: Companies often refuse to take students without work experience even for internships.
- What to do: It will be difficult to look for a first job at the age of 21-22, so it is advisable to get at least a little experience in the specialty before receiving a diploma - to do an internship, work during summer holidays.
4 types of “permanent” students with poor job chances
A common form with a complete lack of motivation to learn. Typical behavior is skipping lectures, ignoring the educational process, resulting in difficulties in the session. In rare cases, on exams, a lazy person reveals his potential, shows charisma and quick wit. Most often, this species does not delve into the profession and does not think about the future. The result is prosaic: without skills, knowledge and experience, he faces difficulties in finding a job, although what hinders more - the habitual laziness to look for or poor preparation - is a moot point.
Males are rare. This species goes to lectures and seminars, memorizes material and does well on exams. He does everything that his parents tell him - he does not have his own thoughts about the future. His goal is learning for the sake of learning. After 4 years, it turns out that the student does not know anything about real life and does not understand what he wants.
The description "eternal student" is most suitable for this category. A diligent student feels great within the walls of the university, he likes everything - the profession, teachers and the educational process itself. As a result, education is delayed: this type can study for 10-12 years and then, with a successful coincidence, stay to work at the department.
Individuals with excellent student syndrome
Individuals with excellent student syndrome, or nerds, in pursuit of high marks in all subjects, live in the paradigm "five = praise, two = punishment". They strive hard to maintain Achievement status and expect employers to welcome them with open arms. But this does not happen - in practice, no one is interested in the color of the diploma or the memorized definitions of unnecessary terms.
What does a promising student look like? Those who think about their career in advance, understand the value of practical experience and do not get hung up on cramming have a good chance of finding a job!