Vellore Institute of Technology
Description of Vellore Institute of Technology
- Location: Vellore, India
- Year of foundation: 1984
- Language of tuition: Hindi, English
- Number of students: more than 36 000
- Type of education: mixed.
The Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) is a private university that aims to transform life through excellence in education and research. Initially, VIT was opened as an engineering college, in 2001 it received the status of a higher educational institution. VIT actively cooperates with national and international industries, universities to increase productivity and economic development.
In the 2020-2021 academic year, the university offered to study 36 bachelor's programs, 32 programs of pre-degree education and 10 integrated (UG/PG) courses.
Every year, more than 36,000 students from 60 countries study here, a third of them women. The teaching staff consists of 1700 highly qualified specialists, 1090 administrative staff.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Vellore Institute of Technology
Accommodation, meals, prices
The VIT residential campus is designed for a comfortable, safe, inclusive and diverse life. It represents 24 dormitories:
- Affidavit hostels are for mixed accommodation, but mostly men live here. Accommodation can be single, double, three, four and six. The cost varies from 59,548 to 1,29,748 ind. rupees per year
- Women's hostels - three-, four, five-, six-bed rooms. Accommodation costs range from Rs 75,948 to Rs 1,34,248 per year.
- air conditioner
- Ergonomic furniture, including children's
- First aid center, pharmacy, gym with swimming pool, convenience stores, laundry service
- Round-the-clock security.
Upon entry, students pay a deposit of Rs 15,000. Fines for disorder are levied from Rs 51,500 to Rs 66,300.
When staying in hostels it is obligatory:
- Record your attendance from 20:30 to 21:45
- Stop smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages. In case of non-compliance with this rule, the student is suspended from classes for a semester.
- Comply with internal VIT rules
- Stay in dormitories – travel is allowed only to your homeland twice a month and during the holidays.
The dining room for students, relatives and guests presents many different cuisines, among which you can find vegetarian dishes, fast food, specialized food. Dining areas are open from 7:00 am, night dining rooms are open from 22:30 to 12:30.
In the dormitories regularly arranged various events aimed at communication, development of socialization skills, physical training, creative potential.
Activities Vellore Institute of Technology
Leading sports sections of VIT:
- table tennis
The well-being of students is:
- Psychological trainings
- Student clubs: art and culture, technology, health and well-being, literature, etc.
- Social work
- Public associations
- Support of specialists in all aspects of life.
Events of the university:
- Scientific conferences, seminars, lectures
- International holidays
- Riviera – annual sports and cultural festival
- GraVITas – technological, designer carnival
- Thematic events – Yoga Day, Food Day, etc.
- Concerts, exhibitions of students
- Graduation balls.
The university supports its students in startup ideas. Current innovation clubs:
- Kraftigo – protection of the interests of Indian masters
- Bhukkad – Cooking Healthy Food
- "World of Pen" - sellers of pens of the best models of the world
- Sangharsh – social transformation, improvement of the quality of rural life
- Helpmyprep – supporting students with the best textbooks and materials
- Aktonate – architects, developers, designers.
- Accreditation of TCS, Wipro, Cognizant for academic cooperation, internships
- QS World Ranking: TOP 801-1000
- QS Asia ranking: one of the top 228 universities
- MHRD-NIRF rankings: 28th place in the general category, 15th place in engineering, 55th place in management
- Govt. India recognized VIT as a prestigious university
- The cleanest university and its dormitories in India.
Facilities and equipment at Vellore Institute of Technology
VIT has several branches, the main of which is located in Vellore. The eco-friendly campus of 372 acres is planted with greenery, which is constantly cared for by the university staff.
Southern Railways, in partnership with VIT, has provided an underground bridge connecting the two parts of the campus. University buses and fixed-route taxis run daily along this road, taking students from all over Wellora.
A distinctive feature of VIT are well-planned rooms for education: seven blocks, specialized in different areas:
- Silver Jubilee Tower
- Process Building
- Academic blocks
- Medical Center
- Auditoriums, conference halls
- Technical Support Center, Computer Classes
- Sports facilities: 20 acres of field for team sports, tennis courts, gyms, etc.
- Residential blocks.
Since VIT is focused on environmental friendliness, solar panels, high-tech pipeline channels, separate garbage collection are located on the territory of the university.
Admission dates and extra charges
Education at the university is conducted according to the flexible credit system FFCS.
FFCS is a way in which students have complete freedom to adapt their course as they wish. Students have the opportunity to realize their interests in sports or club activities – the schedule of classes will be drawn up in the process.
Academic year dates:
- Spring semester: December 3-April 10
- Fall semester: July 13-November 6.
Classes are held from Monday to Friday; on weekends and international/national holidays students rest.
Additional expenses usually include:
- Books, consumables
- Accommodation, meals
- Personal expenses (mobile communication, clothes, rest, etc.)
- Sports activities on campus
- Student societies
- Medical care.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
All future VIT students should submit the following documents and pass the entrance exams:
- Certificate of secondary education
- Affidavits of parents, student, hostel for accommodation
- Certificate of Physical Fitness
- Form of obligation
- Color photos – 2 pcs.
- Letter of pre-enrollment / online application on the official website of the university
- Aadhar Map
- Transcripts of the previous place of study.
It is worth submitting documents in the spring - from April to mid-June. The cost of the application is from 50 to 1200 ind. rupees.
For international students, the requirements are different:
- Completed 12-year education – equivalent to 10+2 grades
- Certificate with an average cumulative score of at least 55%
- Knowledge of English at high school level
- Letter of pre-enrollment / online application on the official website of the university.
For admission to doctoral programs:
- Diploma of Bachelor's and Master's Degree
- GPA test with a minimum of 6.5 out of 10 points
- Personal interview.
Scholarships Vellore Institute of Technology
The STARS program allows low-income students to study in higher education institutions, covering 100% of tuition fees and basic medical expenses.
Also, initiative students who offer the best ideas for startups, VIT pays a grant for one year.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Vellore Institute of Technology
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.