UK schools are known worldwide for their high level of education, built on a unique combination of tradition and innovation in learning. Prestigious educational institutions in England have a high ranking on the world stage and attract a huge number of students from abroad, but the conditions for entering UK schools remain unclear and difficult for many. It should be noted that for foreign students receiving a certificate of secondary education in the United Kingdom offers excellent prospects for admission to popular international universities and institutes not only in England and Europe, but also in America, Canada or Australia.
For many parents, the key question remains - what benefits will their child get when choosing to study abroad? The main advantages of foreign schools for foreign students include the following:
- Recognition of a secondary education diploma in most countries of the world
- High level English learning
- Readiness for discovery and knowledge
- The ability to rotate in an interethnic setting
- Opportunity to live in a foreign country
- The development of feelings of responsibility and independence
- High ranking of most educational institutions in England
- Highly qualified teachers and the latest infrastructure
- New experiences and meeting friends from all over the world.
Despite the fact that when choosing a school for a child, parents encounter certain difficulties and questions, it is worth remembering that a prestigious foreign school can be a happy ticket to the successful future of your child!
TOP-5 most important nuances for admission to schools in England
1. Elite schools in England: what documents are required for admission?
The first step to entering a rating English school for foreign students is to prepare a package of documents. Up-to-date information on the necessary documents should be clarified on the website of the selected school or from its official representatives. Below is a general list of documents for applicants to UK schools:
- Scorecard with grades for the last 2 years
- Additional testing for knowledge of some school disciplines (their list depends on the chosen educational institution)
- Job interview
- Certificate of English Proficiency (IELTS or TOEFL)
- Awards for sports, creative or scientific achievements
- Recommendations from teachers
- Motivation letter
- Documents for obtaining a visa.
For students and parents who want to try their hand at studying abroad, linguistic courses for students for the summer will be an excellent choice, because in this case the list of documents is reduced to a minimum. Summer vacation programs in the UK offer a wide range of language courses that take into account the diverse goals and interests of students: traditional (study and relaxation, under the patronage of leading foreign schools and universities), adventure (allowing you to get acquainted with the culture of the country), as well as creative, sports and scientific. This option is ideal even for children with poor language skills! Academic programs with learning English during the summer holidays are a chance to make the summer useful and unforgettable for every student.
2. Submission of documents to the best schools in Britain and England: deadlines
The UK ranking schools take seriously the deadlines for submitting documents, so applicants should prepare in advance. On the official website of the school of England it is worth checking information about the package of documents and the deadlines for its submission. Please note that despite the large number of private educational institutions in the country, the flow of foreign students is much larger, so many English schools consider applicants on a competitive basis using the selective method. It means that all applicants pass entrance exams and interviews, the results of which determine their place in the list of applicants.
Typically, documents are submitted online on the site of the selected school. Traditionally, documents for admission to primary school are accepted until January of the current year, and in middle classes - until the end of October of the previous year. Schools with a high international ranking can increase the deadline for submitting documents up to 2 years and even more.
However, this does not mean that it is impossible to enter a British school. If you act in advance, then admission will not cause any problems, and SMAPSE specialists will be happy to advise you on any questions that arise.
3. TOP UK schools and guardianship
One of the main features of schooling in the UK is the mandatory presence of a guardian for minors whose term of study is more than 12 weeks and whose parents are not in the country. The duties of the guardian include a wide range of issues, because parents are the legal representative of the child in the country:
- Interacts with the school (attending parent-teacher meetings, monitoring child's performance, informing parents about problems that arise, etc.)
- Helps in organizational matters (for example, meeting / seeing off a child at the airport, buying office supplies, helping to adapt to life in a new country, extending a visa, etc.)
- Has the right to make decisions and act on behalf of the student in emergency situations (treatment of the child, the decision to conduct operations and much more).
A guardian becomes an important part of the life of underage students in the UK, so the choice of a representative should be taken seriously. The guardian can be a family friend or a candidate from a specialized agency that provides custody services in England. A guardian in the UK is a guarantee that the student will not be left alone in a foreign country or lost in solving problems!
4. Leading educational institutions for foreign students: cost
Tuition is one of the factors determining the choice of school and study program. Prices for education in the UK depend on the chosen school, its prestige, academic program, list of extracurricular activities and excursions. The average cost of an education in England is:
- Elementary school - 6,000 £ - 8,000 £ / per term
- Middle classes - 8,500 £ - 10,500 £ / per term
- High school - 10,000 £ - 12,000 £ / per term.
The price traditionally includes education for the selected program, educational materials, accommodation, passing exams, some extracurricular activities, obtaining a certificate.
5. Summer vacation programs in English schools as a first step to admission
Many popular British schools have summer educational programs for foreign students. UK language schools and summer camps can be an excellent base for preparing your child for admission to an English school and living abroad. During the 2, 3 or 4-week courses, the student will be able to get acquainted with the culture of the country, its traditions and features of the educational process, which will help him to understand whether he will be able to receive education in the UK. In addition, this is an amazing opportunity for each student to significantly increase their English proficiency and get unique experience and memories!