There are many ways to learn English, but how effective they are and which one is right for you, you can only find out in practice. We have collected several effective techniques for learning English, allowing you to master the language in an interesting format.
Immersion in the lesson
Regardless of which teaching method you choose, it is important to prepare for the lesson - to refresh your memory, "warm up" the language zones of the brain.
List of useful exercises:
- Funny sentence - sing the song in English! Choose the one you like, learn the words, download the backing track or karaoke app and sing it before the lesson. This will revive the memory, help switch the brain to a different language register, and the singing itself will tune in to the positive, will help to use the creative part of the brain, it is easier to answer unplanned questions, come up with sentences or texts without preparation.
- Learning vocabulary on a specific topic - think over what words you will use when discussing the selected topic, briefly describe the topic, be it "Travel" or "My profession". This will help you remember tokens related to a specific topic, quickly pick them up if necessary.
- Grammar Review - Stop at one grammar rule and practice it. Let's say the passive voice. Having chosen a topic, for example, London, build all the proposals in the passive voice during the discussion: the capital was founded, the streets were laid, the buildings were built. This will help you remember how such constructions are formed, what rules apply, what exceptions exist. This will help you prepare for further grammar studies.
- Open your notes on your phone or a Word file on your computer and type 1 paragraph in English. If you like to write with your hand, then a piece of paper with a pencil will also work. The main task of the exercise is to use motor skills. Kinesthetic activity helps to remember through movement: a meaningful linguistic phenomenon, written or typed, is easier to remember. If you remember, in English novels schoolchildren were prescribed such a punishment - write down a phrase a hundred times, for example: "I will not throw a stone at the window . " You will definitely not forget this! With the rules of English grammar, the approach will work too.
- Verbal drawing is another exercise for turning on the right, creative hemisphere, tuned to perceive the world synthetically. Choose a photo or painting that is close to the topic under study and describe it. The result: a willingness to quickly pick up words on a given topic - and a brain tuned in to creative work.
Top tips for English learners
- Spend English time every day - 20 minutes daily is better than 1 hour twice a week. Daily classes help keep your language skills in good shape.
- Find like-minded people: study with friends, use apps to find a companion for learning a language (one member of the pair is a native English speaker, the other is a different language, due to which mutually beneficial cooperation is obtained). Group lessons are an interesting experience of live communication with people who share a common interest. Learn English with your friends!
- Use a variety of techniques: write names on cards, draw diagrams, watch TV shows in their original language.
- Choose interesting topics. The advantage of self-study is that you don't have to follow the program. Draw a circle of topics that you will need for work, travel, and discussion of hobbies. If you know that the topics you study will be useful to you in life, motivation grows, and then productivity grows.