Secondary education in the United States is considered to be the best in the world: there are a large number of prestigious institutions, thousands of thousands of students come to the country every year to enter schools and colleges. Senior students can receive certificates of different types.
Schools and programs after 8th and 9th grades
Those who decide to go to study in the US after 8-9 grades will be well suited to the High School standard: it is available in all public and private institutions and is a stepping stone for secondary education. According to the accepted standards of the educational system, several obligatory disciplines are studied in the school: physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics and others. From the 9th grade students choose for themselves the preferred directions of development and discipline:
- Mathematics and mathematical sciences
- Social sciencies
- The science
- Modern foreign languages
- Classical languages.
Students not only receive fundamental knowledge, but also develop in a sporting, creative and personal way. As a rule, a large number of sports and creativity are available in US educational institutions, competitions and contests are held. For foreign students the ideal option is a boarding house where you can not only study, but also live all year round in comfortable conditions. Students achieve significant progress in knowledge and prepare for the Advanced Placement standard.
Examples of schools
- Windermere Preparatory School. Included in the TOP-50 private schools in the country, offers a personalized approach and comprehensive development of students. It is part of the Meritas family network, has a richly equipped campus and great opportunities for sports and creativity.
- The Village School. One of the best centers of the educational group Nord Anglia offers quality education at all levels - here students from more than 40 countries are studied. There are special programs of art and sport.
- Idyllwild Arts Academy. In addition to the standard course of the school, the boarding school offers an artistic education in the field of fine arts, theater, writing, cinema and dance.
Schools and programs after 10th grade
Advanced Placement (or AP)
Advanced Placement is a very prestigious and popular US standard, which gives great advantages when entering universities. AP takes the last 2 years of study (11-12 grades), when students choose disciplines for in-depth study from the general list. A total of 36 disciplines are available in the standard, but the number of available schools can vary from 5-6 to 27 in a single educational institution. The most popular areas are:
- English Language and Literature
- Foreign languages
- Natural Sciences
- Computer science.
Advantages of this standard:
- Significant advantages when entering university
- Good indicators make it possible not to pass some introductory tests
- Excellent marks help you get scholarships
- Significant development of the level of knowledge and English
- Availability of a special ESL course for foreign students.
At the end of the course examinations are taken for each subject passed: grades are given on a scale from A to F, and the examination is considered to be passed only at A, B and C marks (approximately corresponds to 5, 4 and 3). Graduates are awarded a US diploma of high school diploma (US High School Diploma) and the results of the AP. Most universities in the US, Canada, Britain and other countries count the AP exams on admission, which makes it possible to enter the chosen institution.
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program (DP)
The prestigious international IB program was developed by a group of scientists in the 1960s and has since been in constant demand for exceptionally high quality education. Today, 1500 institutions from different countries of the world have the right to teach this course, and its results are accepted in universities of any state. The duration of studies is 2 years, the number of subjects is 6 (3 obligatory, 3 for choice). A total of 60 disciplines are available, but each institution has a limited number of available.
In the course of education, the skills of critical thinking and perception of information develop, the ability to act in a critical situation and the ability to make complex decisions. In addition, students receive knowledge at special seminars on the theory of knowledge and the course "Creativity, action, service," where theoretical knowledge is confirmed and tested in the course of practical activities. To complete the course successfully, you need to complete the following steps:
- Final tests on disciplines (maximum 7 points per test)
- Extended essay (research work, with a volume of about 4000 words)
- Written works on the theory of knowledge
- Practical details on the course of creativity and service
- Various additional works.
The results are recognized all over the world, that's why the graduates of this program have a great opportunity to enter the best educational institutions of the USA, Canada, Britain and other countries.
Examples of schools
- North Broward Preparatory School. One of the most prestigious institutions in the country is a member of the Meritas network. Here, great attention is paid to the individual needs of each student, there are all conditions for sports, physical and creative development. The campus is located in a beautiful resort area.
- The MacDuffie School. The independent institution has a complex system of development of academic, sporting, creative, spiritual and moral qualities of each child. Graduates have a high level of knowledge and successfully enter the best universities.
Schools after 11th grade
Pathway / Foundation
With a certificate of higher education and a sufficient level of knowledge and skills, foreign students can directly enter US universities, but to facilitate this process and adapt to the education system and lifestyle, foreign students are offered a number of special programs under the common names Pathway and Foundation. The basic requirements are similar:
- Level of Education: Diploma of High School Graduation
- English level: IELTS 5.0-5.5 / TOEFL 61-80.
These programs have some differences, but in general they are similar: they involve 1-2 semesters of active work on improving the level of English and knowledge of the disciplines of the chosen direction. Foundation usually differ more in-depth study of English with less attention to subjects. In case of successful completion of studies, applicants can switch to the main educational programs of the selected bachelor's direction for the first, second or third semester (depending on the institution and conditions).
Examples of schools
- Leman Manhattan Preparatory School. One of the most progressive schools in the US is characterized by a flexible educational system and great opportunities for individualizing educational programs. The institution is part of the Meritas network and guarantees the provision of quality education to all comers.
- ILSC San-Francisco Language School. The school is located in San Francisco, offers applicants professional language courses and the Pathway program. Thanks to carefully thought out structure and high professionalism of teachers, students significantly increase their knowledge level in a short time.