- Education and programs after 8th and 9th grades
- Education after 10th grade
- Education after 11th grade
Secondary education in Britain, along with the American one, is considered the best in the world, thousands of students aspire to enter the educational institutions of the country every year. Senior students have the opportunity to receive certificates of different types in schools and colleges of the country.
Education and programs after 8th and 9th grades
Since the age of 14, the school curriculum in England involves the preparation and passing of GCSE exams - the General Certificate of Secondary Education. If you enroll in this course after 8th grade, then study will continue for 2 years, and if after 9th - that year. The student must have a sufficient level of English and knowledge in the subjects. The program includes compulsory and elective disciplines, the latter being chosen independently, based on their preferences. The list of subjects differs in different institutions - the greatest number of disciplines is available in prestigious private schools, where one can study including exclusive courses. An indicative list includes:
- English literature
- Computer science
- Modern foreign language
- Religious Studies
- Natural sciences (physics, chemistry, biology, technology, engineering)
- Economics, Economics and Business Studies
- National economy
- Modern foreign languages.
The total number of subjects studied varies in the region of 8-10, but if desired, it is possible to study more. To receive the GCSE certificate, students take from 6 to 8 subjects, for which A, B, C (5,4,3) and A * are given. The GCSE preparation cycle is usually inseparable, that is, the student can not change the school during education, so it is necessary to take care of all the nuances in advance. Graduates who have completed a full course of study and successfully passed final examinations can apply for admission to a high school by A-level or IB standards.
Examples of GCSE schools
- Prior Park College Bath. One of the largest and most respected Catholic schools is the joint teaching. Foreign students receive special care and attention, teachers and mentors do everything possible to make students feel at home and develop in the right direction. Students receive universal values of mutual aid, respect, service.
- Cambridge Tutors College. Cambridge Tutors is a prestigious college of joint education in the suburbs of London, one of the most famous and promising educational centers in England. He specializes in preparing entrants to enter the Oxford, Cambridge and other ranking universities in the country and around the world. The curriculum is very intensive and requires maximum mobilization and concentration.
Education after 10th grade
The two-year course, which results in the receipt of the A-Level certificate, is often called the "gold standard" of British secondary education. This is a very prestigious document, in terms of which you can enter any university in Britain without passing additional admission tests. In some educational institutions, it is possible to reduce the duration of studies to 1-1.5 years. To enroll you must meet certain requirements:
- Age from 16 years old
- Level of education: GCSE certificate with grades not lower than C / certificate of incomplete secondary education (high performance in subjects)
- Level of English: IELTS 5.0-5.5 / TOEFL 194 CBT, 71 IBT.
Students choose subjects based on their preferences and the choice of the further field of activity: at the beginning of the program everyone should know clearly which universities and specialties he will apply for. In the first year at least 3-5 priority disciplines are studied, in the second year - 3. An approximate list of subjects:
2. The choice (directions: science, medicine, engineering):
- Higher Mathematics
- Science (physics, chemistry, biology)
3. On the choice (directions: humanities, business, law):
There are 20-25 lessons per week and classes in English. The final exams are given for 3-5 subjects: the marks are set on a scale from A to E, with the A, B, C grades being considered as the successful result (the highest mark is A *). If the exam results are high, the graduate can count on enrolling in the chosen higher education institution without additional conditions, students of prestigious schools have a high percentage of income to the best and ranking universities in Britain, the USA and other countries of the world.
IB (International Baccalaureate) Diploma Program (DP)
International Baccalaureate (IB) is a prestigious course that is in high demand and popular. The course was developed by a team of specialists in the 1960s and has since been continuously improved, and already today IB is taught in 1,500 accredited institutions around the world and is conducted in one of 3 languages (English, French, Spanish). The results of examinations are accepted by a large number of universities, so that the graduates have rich prospects. Education lasts 2 years, during which 6 subjects are studied (3 of them are profile and are studied in-depth). A total of about 60 disciplines are available: the general curriculum is common to all institutions, but schools and colleges can adjust it according to their norms and needs. In the course of study, students not only have fundamental knowledge of certain sciences, but develop the skills of critical thinking and the ability for serious scientific developments.
To obtain a diploma, you must fulfill the following conditions:
- 6 tests in the disciplines.
- Extended essay.
- Written work on the TOK course
- 150 hours of CAS operation
- Additional work and research.
Graduates who successfully completed the bachelor's degree and successfully passed the tests enter the best educational institutions in Britain, Europe, the USA and the whole world.
Examples of schools with courses A-level or IB:
- Abbey College Cambridge. One of the 5 renowned educational institutions of The Alpha Plus was opened in Cambridge in 1994 and has gained popularity as one of the best institutions in its class. The great advantage of the institution is that the students are at the very center of science, they attend the renowned university. Many graduates subsequently enroll in higher education programs at the University of Cambridge.
- King's College St Michael's England. There are only about 140 students in St. Michaels, and all students are foreign students. The institution follows the best traditions and offers the highest quality of education, prepares students for the start of adulthood. Each student is assigned a mentor, an individual approach is applied, the wishes and preferences of students are taken into account. The maximum class size is limited to 12 students, the usual class consists of 9 people.
Education after 11th grade
Because of the difference in the systems of secondary education, graduates of foreign schools after the 11th grade can not directly enter the universities of the country, therefore for foreign applicants the special standard Foundation is ideal. This is a one-year intensive course aimed at bringing the level of the English language and knowledge in line with the requirements of British higher education (in some cases, you can complete a full course in 6-8 months). Education includes intensive classes in English and subjects profiling for the chosen direction, usually begins in January or September. In case of successful completion, applicants can apply for the first year of undergraduate studies at the chosen institution. It should be noted that not all institutions accept the Foundation certificate as academically sufficient, so it is better to familiarize yourself with all the nuances in advance.
- Brooke house College. Brook House is focused on providing British traditional fundamental education and makes high demands on its students. In addition to knowledge of the disciplines, creative and sporting talents are actively developing, a large number of clubs and sections are operating, the students participate in competitions. The effectiveness of the educational system is proved by the fact that annually 98% of graduates enter universities.
- Wycliffe College. Wycliffe College in Gloucestershire has been operating since 1882. The institution actively attracts foreign students, guarantees excellent accommodation conditions and practically does not limit the list of available classes in sports and creativity. Wycliffe is in the TOP-100 institutions in Britain with the best A-level results.