- The structure of British education
- Types of higher education institutions, their differences and peculiarities
- Basic requirements for applicants
- Preparatory pre-university programs
- Accommodation and work activities during study
Every year more and more students who want to build a successful career in the international community prefer to receive higher education in England or Great Britain . Universities and higher schools of the United Kingdom are deservedly considered to be one of the most prestigious, ranking and respected: most of them are state-owned, and the total number exceeds 100, each year more than two million students receive higher education in England. Many of the universities are considered the best in the world: this is also facilitated by the high status of the British capital as the world center of business education, financial focus.
The English language has a strong status of the language of international communication, it is recognized all over the world and is actively used in every country - and where, how else in your homeland, can you learn the language most effectively and intensely? An additional advantage is the value of British diplomas: all over the world, high school diplomas and bachelor's degrees are recognized by any educational institution, which means that higher education in England offers the widest, practical unlimited opportunities for a successful career and further education.
The structure of British education
It is worth noting that it was the UK that created the worldwide model and structure of higher education - from undergraduate to doctorate.
Higher education in England is divided into several stages:
1) Undergraduate(Bachelors' Degree) - the first and the main stage, mandatory for work in any qualified position: for most students, higher education in England ends after the completion of this stage. Usually the duration of training is 3-4 years, specialists in the directions "Architecture" and "Medicine" study up to 5 years. Baccalaureate, in turn, is also divided into 6 main stages:
- BA, or Bachelor of Arts
- BM, or Bachelor of Medicine
- BBA, Bachelor of Business Administration (many call it "first step to MBA")
- LLB, or Bachelor of Law
- BSc, or Bachelor of Science
- EEng, or Bachelor of Engineering.
2) Master (Master's Degree) is the second, optional step. Obtaining a master's degree is required for those students who plan to hold a high and leadership position. Many students take a break: after obtaining a bachelor's degree, they start working and 2-3 years of gaining practical experience are finally determined with specialization and direction for further education. The duration of the master's program is usually 1-2 years.
3) MBA (Master of Business Administration) - in this course students receive the profile knowledge, skills, skills necessary for quality management of the enterprise and occupying a leading position. Usually at this level, adult students from 23 years of age and older, who already have a bachelor's / master's degree and practical work experience of at least 1-3 years, are enrolled. The term of study on this course is 1-2 years; Many schools are considered the best in the world and attract students from all over the world (among them is the London School of Economics, Imperial College, London Business School).
4) The so-called Sandwich courses are an interesting opportunity to obtain both theoretical training and work experience during higher education in England; This course is popular at the faculties of applied, technical, engineering and IT-specialties. The bottom line is that after 2 years of study the student goes to the annual practice in the specialty, and then returns to training, while the working hours are counted as educational and must be taken into account in the diploma.
5) Doctorate allows you to obtain a prestigious doctoral degree - this is the most prestigious stage of higher education in England. Duration of training - 2-3 years, necessarily writing a dissertation.
Types of higher education institutions, their differences and peculiarities
The main division of universities is carried out by the time of their creation - the following groups are distinguished:
These world-famous universities were founded in the 14th and 17th centuries and have been working successfully to this day, mainly in them are higher education in England provided students , Children of famous politicians and statesmen, businessmen. They includeOxford , Cambridge , University of Edinburgh and Glasgow. Aberdeen, St. Andrews.
- "Red brick"
These universities were founded at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries and were given their eloquent name thanks to the material of their buildings - mostly they They were created on the basis of old large factory buildings. Traditionally, higher education institutions are considered to be strong in technical disciplines, mathematics and mechanical engineering, they are contrasted with "old" ones as more directed at the practical application of knowledge, and not exclusively theory. Examples include the universities of London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Higher education institutions that have been leading the history since the end of the Second World War.
These universities received their status at the end of 1992 (after the adoption of the current Law on Education): the association includes 33 polytechnical high schools providing the opportunity to receive Higher education in England for a useful applied specialty.
Each university participates in a variety of national ratings - the main and most authoritative ones are the The Times and the Daily Telegraph: even a separate The Good University Guide is published, which includes comprehensive information on the ways of obtaining a higher education or an MBA diploma on Territory of Great Britain.
Basic requirements for applicants
If you have wondered how to get a university degree in the UK, get ready for a fairly tough selection and a serious contest. As a rule, the basic requirements for students wishing to obtain higher education in England can be reduced to the following:
- High school diploma (12 classes are required to finish: since Russian schoolchildren are only 11 years old, they are required to study an additional preparatory year)
- Age from 17.5 years (by the time of the first session, the student must reach the age of eighteen)
- A high level of English proficiency (usually IELTS 5.5-6.0 and above). [999.79 ]
- General educational achievement
- Recommendations from teachers and the thesis supervisor
- Motivation letter with a detailed rationale for the purpose of admission and training
- Work experience and resume (required for master's programs and MBA)
- Academic, scientific, sports, creative achievements, participation in social and social life, charity and volunteering
- Personal qualities, Purposefulness and even hobbies and hobbies.
It is also worth noting that most British universities will require certificates of passage of the programA-level (minimum of three exams) and GCSE (at least 4 exams, about them in details a little later) with grades not lower than C. Please note that all entrance exams are submitted through a centralized form UCAS: estimates should be translated according to the British system (from A to U). The filing of applications begins on September 1 and lasts until mid-December, and Oxford and Cambridge finish the reception on October 15.
For Russian graduates with a diploma from the university of their native country, there is an opportunity to save time and apply immediately to the second or the penultimate year of the undergraduate or graduate program: it is possible if the diploma contains good and excellent grades in all subjects and the student confirms Excellent level of English (IELTS from 6.5 and above).
All documents are considered on a competitive basis - all possible factors are taken into account, such as:
Preparatory pre-university programs
As already mentioned, upon admission, British universities require a certificate of 12-year secondary education. "To get an" extra year, as well as fully prepare for training in a foreign university for Russian students can beone of the following programs :
Two years last: at the first (AS-level) students study 4-5 core subjects of their choice, On the second (A-level) there are only 3-4 of them, and already exams are passed for them, points for which are put into the certificate.
The international program lasting 2 years. It is especially suitable for those students who are not fully determined with the priority university and program, specialty, are considered by various countries of the world for higher education. In the UK, this course is presented in more than 60 educational institutions, it consists of a wide range of subjects: the main ones include native language, literature, art, modern foreign languages, mathematics, subjects of the natural science block.
3) Foundation Program
The duration of the course is 1 year, usually it is offered at selected universities, colleges or high schools.
Accommodation and work activities during study
All university students, including foreigners, are given a place in the hostel, students 18 years and older can rent an apartment, Room, studio or apartment at your own discretion.
It is assumed that each student is able to pay the full cost of higher education in England without resorting to the services of funds, without working or doing business while studying: Russian and CIS citizens do not have the right to work on the territory of the country, then As citizens of EU member states have such an opportunity.
On average, a month's accommodation will cost the student from 270 to 1540 pounds sterling, the food will take 200-400 pounds, and the price for public transportation will be about 70 pounds.