The USA is rightfully considered the founder of the MBA program, where the concept of “Case Study” was introduced in the late 19th century - this teaching methodology is the foundation of the MBA program to this day. The world's leading business schools are located in the States, so MBA education in America is a sure step on the path to professional development, career and material growth. About the features of the MBA in America, the cost and the order of admission will be described below.
How is MBA education in America?
The MBA (Master of Business Administration) is a sought-after and prestigious degree in management that will suit active, ambitious mid-level managers who plan to grow to the level of top managers, gaining deeper knowledge in the business field.
The main MBA educational methodology is the already mentioned “case study”, which helps students to study and analyze real business situations, discuss solutions with colleagues and apply them in the future. This technique was introduced by Harvard University in the early 20th century and is still considered the most effective in business education. In addition to practice, students are given a theoretical block: basic disciplines (usually accounting, finance, marketing, personnel management) and optional disciplines of the student's choice (logistics, crisis management and others) are studied. The duration of an MBA in America depends on the school and specialization (average 2-3 years).
Many US schools provide internship opportunities at partner companies for the holidays, where there is the opportunity to apply the knowledge and establish professional contacts.
MBA Forms in America
The 3 main forms of MBA education in America:
- Full-time form of study is the most popular and requires maximum student immersion in the educational process, designed for 2 years.
- Part-time. Part-time education is convenient for those who need to combine work with study.
- The Distance form of education is the most convenient and affordable for foreign students who cannot leave their work or family for a long time. Since all study materials are received in electronic form, and classes and sessions are held in an online format, self-discipline and motivation of a student are very important here.
Many business schools in America offer an Executive MBA (EMBA) program. It is designed for 2 years and is suitable for senior managers with management experience of more than 5 years. EMBA students spend most of their time studying and analyzing real business cases; there are significantly fewer theoretical classes. EMBA graduates, possessing strategic thinking and a business vision, apply for leadership positions in large international companies or take their company to a definitely new level of business development.
How to apply for an MBA program in the USA
- Requirements for applicants may vary in different schools, but the presence of a higher education (preferably profile) and experience in a managerial position (minimum 1 year for MBA, from 5 years for EMBA) are required everywhere.
- To confirm English proficiency at an advanced level, you will need IELTS language certificate with an average score of at least 6.5, many business schools are asked to take the GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test).
- Mandatory documents include a diploma of higher education (translation certified by a notary), CV (CV) and a letter of motivation (Statement of purpose), letters of recommendation from the place of study and work.
What should I look for when choosing a business school for an MBA in the USA?
- Ranking of an educational institution. All US business schools with an MBA in America must be accredited by the appropriate international organizations. If you see AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accreditation - this is a good sign and you can trust the school
- Successful Graduates
- Cost and terms of study
- The location of the school.
Almost all schools in the United States conduct personal interviews at the reception (intramurally / remotely): representatives of the American business school evaluate not only knowledge of the English language, but also the maturity of thinking and logic of the applicant.
U.S. MBA Tuition
The cost of an MBA in America can vary significantly between schools and programs. So, distance programs are more accessible, the most expensive - Executive MBA. The cost of the same programs will be higher in more prestigious business schools in the United States.
The cost of an MBA in America varies from 50,000 to 130,000 $ for a 2-year program.
If you need help choosing the right school, the official representative of foreign schools - SMAPSE - will be an excellent assistant. Consultants will provide information and organizational support free of charge.