In the educational system of the UK, colleges are not a secondary vocational educational institution. Colleges are centers of preparation for British and international students for further admission to higher education institutions in the UK. Usually they are located in large cities: London, Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton, but there are exceptions.
Study programs in UK colleges:
- The traditional British system of education is A-level (2 years of high school, after which you can enter any university in the UK, including Oxford and Cambridge ). From 3 to 4 subjects are studied with great intensity, the subjects are chosen by the student depending on the specialty he wants to enroll in.
- International Foundation program (lasts 1 year, 4 to 6 subjects are studied, depending on the further specialty. The list of universities for further admission is limited).
Education in colleges is conducted in English, but for international students there is an opportunity to get additional classes in English - ESL (English as a Second Language).
Colleges in England for foreigners will be paid, the cost will vary from 35 to 50 thousand pounds per year of study (room and board are already included in this cost). It is possible to receive scholarships in the amount of 10-20% of the tuition fee (not living expenses) if the applicant has high academic results and the entrance tests are well written.
For admission, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Choose an educational institution / institutions where documents will be submitted.
- Prepare documents for submission:
- Photo or scan of the passport
- Extract of grades from the current school for the last two years with translation into English
- Completed registration form
- IELTS UKVI Academic test result when applying for the Foundation program, if the student is already 18 years old.
- Submit an application to an educational institution and pay the registration fee (usually £ 150-300).
- Pass testing and interviews at an educational institution (you can in person or by Skype).
- Get an answer from the educational institution whether a student is being hired or not. In case the educational institution has offered a place and the family would like to accept this offer, a deposit must be paid (usually 2500-10,000 pounds).
After confirmation of enrollment, you will need to apply for a study visa to the UK - and already with a visa you can safely go to study.