- How do you ask where the nearest store is if you don't have a map?
- Words you will need in the store:
- How to find the right clothes, size or department and find out the price?
- Questions at the checkout that will come in handy:
- What you can hear from the cashier:
- If you need to return an item to the store, get a refund or exchange an item, the following phrases will come in handy:
Shopping - this word does not require translation. Buying new clothes is a favorite pastime for most girls. It is a real crime to be abroad and not go for new clothes! How not to get into an awkward situation in the store? Prepare in advance! So, let's begin.
How do you ask where the nearest store is if you don't have a map?
- Where is the nearest shopping mall? - Where is the nearest shopping center?
- Is there an outlet center in the area ? - Is there an outlet anywhere in the area (an outlet is a mall where brands sell items from past collections at great discounts)?
How does the dialogue work in the store? The customer (customer) tries on (to try on) some thing to see if it fits (to fit). This can be done in the fitting room: if the size does not fit, you can ask the seller (shop assistant (British) / store clerk, sales associate (American) ) to bring a different size (size) or color (color) of the item you like. You can also find out about discounts and sales from him.
In stores (especially large ones) there are often special offers:
- Buy two for the price of one - Buy two by price one
- Buy 2 get 1 free - Buy 2 get 1 free
- Buy 2 get 1 half price - Buy 2 get 1 half price
- Buy one get 40% off your second item - Buy one item and get 40% off the second.
Words you will need in the store:
- B asket - shopping cart in a supermarket
- B uy / purchase - purchase
- C ash - cash
- C ash desk - cash desk
- C ashier - cashier
- C hange - surrender
- C heap - cheap
- C heck - check
- C oin - Coin
- C ounter - counter
- C redit card - credit card
- E xpensive - dear
- H igh-quality - high quality
- N ote (banknote) - banknote
- R eceipt - receipt, check
- R efund - refund of the value of the goods
- S cales - scales
- S econd-hand - used
- S hop window - showcase
- T rolley - supermarket trolley
- To choose / select / pick - select
- T o go shopping - go shopping
- T o haggle / bargain - bargain
- To pay (in) cash - pay cash
- To pay by / with credit card - pay by card
- T o pay for - pay for (something)
- To queue up, to line up, to stand in line - to stand in queues for (what - ever)
- To take off - to take off ( thing )
- To try on - try on.
As a rule, consultants in branded stores approach customers themselves and ask questions:
- Can I help you? - I can help you?
- What would you like? - What would you like?
- What can I do for you? - Than I am I can you help ?
- Are you looking for something special? - you looking for that - that specific ?
- Are you being served? - you serve ?
- Which do you prefer? - What do you prefer?
If a salesperson approached you and you don't need help, say I'm just browsing, thanks or I'm just looking.
You can contact a consultant yourself if you need help:
- Could you help me? / Can you help me? - you not could would to me help ?
- Excuse me, could I ask you something? - Sorry , you can you ask ?
If you need certain things or departments, it is better to ask them right away:
- Can you tell me where hats are? - Could you tell me where the hats are sold?
- Where can I find dresses? - Where I am I can to find dresses ?
- Do you have outwear in stock? - Do you have outerwear for sale?
- Excuse me, I can't find the woman section - Sorry, I can't find the woman section
- Where is the fitting room? - Where is the fitting room?
How to find the right clothes, size or department and find out the price?
- What is the price of this dress? - How many worth this is dress ?
- How much is it? / How much does it cost? - How many this is worth it ?
- It's very expensive / cheap - It's very expensive / cheap
- This is amazing value for money - This is an amazingly favorable price
- What size do you wear? / What is your size? - What the size you wear ? What is your size?
- Do you have a larger / smaller size? - Do you have a larger / smaller size?
- Do you have this in size 10? - Do you have this size 10 thing?
- I am size 8 - I have size 8
- I wear European size 37 - I wear European size 37
- Does it fit all right? - This you suitable ?
- What about this? - How about this?
After searching for information about the thing you need, the consultant may answer the following:
- This is on sale - This is on sale
- Sorry, we are short of it at the moment - Sorry , at us this is ended
- Sorry, we do not have any left - Sorry , this not left
- Sorry, we do not sell them - Sorry, we do not sell such things.
Next - trying on the selected item:
- Would you like to try it on? - Want try on ?
- I would like to try it on - I would wanted to this is try on
- May I try it on? - Can I try it?
- These shoes are tight - These shoes press
- It seems to fit well - It seems to fit well
- It's too loose / tight - It's too loose / tight
- This is too big / small - This is too big / small
- It does not fit me - It does not fit me (in size)
- It does not suit me - It does not suit me (in color, style).
You can ask questions about a specific thing using phrases:
- I would like another color - I would wanted to other Colour
- Have you got this in another color? - Do you have this thing in a different color?
- Is this made of cotton? - This done of cotton ?
- What is this bag made of? - What is this bag made of?
- Is this new or second-hand? - Is it new or used?
- Does it come with a guarantee? - Is this covered by the warranty?
If you have not chosen anything or decided not to buy, you can say:
- I do not like this - I do not like it
- It is not what I am looking for - It not what I am looking for
- It is not quite what I wanted - This is not quite what I wanted
- I just can't make up my mind - I can't decide what to buy
- Sorry, that is more than I thought it would be - Sorry , this thing worth more expensive than I am thought
- Do you have something cheaper? - Do you have anything less expensive?
The universal polite answer to the question of whether you will buy an item or not: I will come back later, which means "I'll come back later ."
If everything suits you, tell the consultant: I will take it (I will take it) and go to the cashier, having previously asked Where is the cash desk? (Where is the ticket office?). The consultant can take the purchase himself, saying I will take this to the cash desk for you (I will take this to the cash desk for you).
Questions at the checkout that will come in handy:
- Are you in the queue? - Are you in line?
- Can you write down the price? - you can you to write the price ?
- Do you take / accept credit cards? - you accept credit cards ?
- Can I pay by credit card? - Can I pay by credit card?
- What is the price after the discount? - What is price things from taking into account discounts ?
- What is the total? - What is general amount ?
- How much do I owe you? - How many I am you should ?
- Can I buy it tax-free? - Can I buy this tax free?
- Can I pay by cash? - Can I pay in cash?
- Unfortunately, I do not have any small change - К Unfortunately, me not little things
- Would you have change for this? - Will you have change from this amount?
- I am afraid, you gave me the wrong change - I I'm afraid you wrong gave to me change .
What you can hear from the cashier:
- Would you like it wrapped? - to you wrap up is it ?
- Would you like a bag? - to you needed package ?
- That is 50 euros altogether - Overall sum 50 euros
- Enter your PIN, please - Enter your PIN, please
- Remove the card - Take away your cards .
- Sign, please - Sign, please
- Here is your change - your surrender
- Here is your receipt - Here your check .
If you need to return an item to the store, get a refund or exchange an item, the following phrases will come in handy:
- I'd like to return this - I would like to return this thing
- I would like to return a purchase and get a refund - I would wanted to return purchase and receive back money
- I would like my money back - I would like to get my money back
- Can I change it for another thing? - Can I change this for another thing?
- I bought this here yesterday - I bought this is here yesterday
- I bought the wrong size - I took the wrong size
- I'd like to change this for a different size - I would like to exchange this thing for a different size
- It is faulty - Thing spoiled
- It is broken - Thing broken
- Could I have a refund? - Can I get my money back?
- I would like to speak to the manager - I would wanted to talk from manager .
Have fun shopping!