Beijing Dance Academy
Description of Beijing Dance Academy
- Location: Beijing, China
- Year of foundation: 1954
- Number of students: about 6000
- Language of instruction: Chinese
- Type of eduaction: mixed.
Beijing Dance Academy (BDA) is an educational institution of higher education that produces specialists in the field of choreography, dance. The only university of professional dance education in China.
The institution was founded in 1954, at that time having the status of the only professional dance school in the PRC. The Academy received its current name in 1978, since then it has been under the leadership of the Ministry of Culture.
The BDA presents bachelor's and master's degrees on the basis of several departments:
- Chinese Classical Dance
- Chinese Folk Dance
- Musical Theatre
- Artistic Communications
- Artistic design.
The university employs about 600 teachers with academic degrees, merits of the spheres of artistic culture, dance, education. BDA annually educates about 6,000 full-time and part-time students, as well as in the School of Continuing Education. The Academy is known by the colloquial name "Cradle of Dancers" and is one of the most prestigious dance schools in the world.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Beijing Dance Academy
Accommodation, meals, prices
Dormitories are prepared to accommodate foreign students in double rooms. Payment per person depends on the time of stay, but is always calculated daily:
- Up to 30 days – 90 yuan
- 31-90 days – 75 yuan
- More than 91 days – 60 yuan.
Students are provided with full furnishing of rooms, private bathrooms, access to telephone, television and internet.
Activities Beijing Dance Academy
Every year, the institution organizes theatrical, dance performances that prepare students for final exams. It is the students of the academy who prepare these events to show managers and invited guests their talents and career prospects. The main directions of performances are classical ballet, modern dances, choreography.
- Prestigious university with worldwide recognition
- No112 in the ranking of the country
- No1140 among the best universities in the world
- International cooperation, exchange programs.
Facilities and equipment at Beijing Dance Academy
The BDA campus is located on the north side of Zizhuan Park in Beijing. The Academy covers an area of 57,333 square meters, on which 15 educational buildings have been built. Among them:
- Faculties with classrooms
- More than 100 dance studios with the necessary equipment
- Laboratories of Performing Arts, Media Communications, etc.
- Continuing education school, which students attend throughout the year seven days a week
- Center for Management, Evaluation of Dance Exams
- Sports equipment: halls, outdoor areas for team games, individual lessons
- The library with a reading room is the oldest book depository in China, which contains more than 260,000 volumes of various literature, more than 30,000 audio and video materials.
- Specialized premises for programs of theatrical art, artistic design, choreography, etc.
- National Dance Museum with permanent and periodic exhibitions
- Canteens, buffets – provide meals for students during the school day
- Medical department with physiotherapy devices.
Admission dates and extra charges
Dates of study at the Academy:
- Spring Semester: March-July
- Autumn semester: September-January.
The learning process begins in September or March, depending on the semester chosen by the student.
Students start their day at 6:30-8:00 with a warm-up. The process takes place in small classes of eight people so that the teacher can pay due attention to each student. During the day, students of dance programs attend classes of Chinese dance, history, anatomy, musical perception, basics of medicine.
- Accommodation, meals
- Books, consumables as needed
- Health Insurance
- Personal expenses.
All fees, charges and expenses are accepted in local currency only.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
The basis for the decision to admit a student is his passage through competitive selection. Anyone from 16 to 18 years old can get to the audition, but only one out of 20 applicants gets to study at the BDA.
Students do not need to present IELTS or TOEFL certificates, but they will be needed to receive scholarship support.
Documents to be submitted:
- Diploma of the previous level of education
- Knowledge of Chinese at the level of HSK4-5
- Personal documents: passport, police clearance certificate, health insurance, health certificates, etc.
Most programs are taught in Chinese, so the applicant must have a level not lower than spoken. The academy does not often accept foreign citizens outside the exchange program - often they study at the BDA for no longer than two semesters.
Application deadlines vary by semester:
- Spring: until December 31
- Autumn: until June 30.
Scholarships Beijing Dance Academy
The main scholarship fund awarding outstanding students is the Beijing Government Scholarship. It can be obtained by those who are active in academic activities, have good physical data.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Beijing Dance Academy
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.