Au Pair is the most popular and reliable online agency for finding au pairs in the world. Are you looking for a job abroad for the summer, do you want to experience independent living in the USA or another country in the world? The Au Pair opens up opportunities for cultural exchange, helps to explore a different culture, the life of the host family: you will receive a room, regular meals and pocket money in exchange for help with child care and housework.
If platforms such as Trip Advisor USA are the largest online portal for travelers, and Work and Travel is focused on students, then Au Pair is a convenient tool for finding work abroad for young people under 30 years of age. Finding a job with an Au Pair for someone is the first step towards immigrating to the United States: successfully obtaining a visa and babysitting in America is a good start for a long-term visa if you are attracted to life in the United States. The Au Pair offers job opportunities around the world, you can find work in Germany, Canada, Israel or Turkey - it all depends on your goals and interests.
Advantages and disadvantages of Au Pair
Au Pair is a developed and popular platform that helps to find work abroad.
- The cheapest way to spend a year, month or vacation abroad
- Language skills development
- The ability to make friends abroad
- Acquaintance with another culture
- Experience an independent life
- Housework, childcare skills
- If you do not know how to create a resume, then a line with international experience will make it attractive.
- When traveling an Au Pair, you have to adapt to the lifestyle of another family
- Some families have special requirements: experience in childcare, stress resistance. Sometimes working with children can be difficult.
- Guest family and children, communication with them, fulfillment of duties is a priority, and after that - free time, travel, parties.
- It is very important to keep balance, because some host families are ready to use the services of an assistant 24 hours. Living with your “employer” is not easy in order to separate work time from personal time — sometimes you have to say no.
Au Pair: instructions for use
1. Register on AuPair.com and create a profile: you want to find work and are looking for jobs abroad - use the AuPair.com platform for free. The service provides services: sending messages, viewing profiles, recommendations for selecting employers based on preferences. To stand out among the participants, create an interesting profile.
Know how to write a resume? This will be useful when creating a personal page: indicate work experience, existing skills in the field of childcare and housework, add certificates and recommendations. Several photos or videos will make your profile more personal. After a successful interview, write a letter of motivation to the host family to share your expectations.
2. Search for a potential host family: the platform allows you to browse host families from different countries that match your preferences. Work in Germany, work in Finland or work in Poland - everyone will find something suitable for themselves. Consider AuPair.com offers, add the families you like to your favorites, and the list of users you are interested in will receive notifications. Applicants send free inquiries to host families, and they can accept or decline the profile. Try to contact 20-30 families a day, speed up the selection process, leave the best options.
3. Conduct a video interview with selected families: both parties will share their expectations, talk about important details of cooperation, and the applicant will understand whether this family is suitable for him, what kind of people are waiting on the other side of the screen. A video call will protect against scammers - they are afraid to reveal their identity and do not go into visual contact. Make a list of questions that you want to discuss with the host: did they accept an Au Pair earlier than they expect from an assistant, a list of responsibilities, do children go to kindergarten or school, do they have regular classes, special needs or allergies, hobbies, traditional family events. If you liked the conversation, arrange an additional call, discuss the details of accommodation, meals, the amount of pocket money, necessary documents, insurance, visa requirements.
4. Sign an Au Pair contract and complete the formalities. An Au Pair Contract is an official document that identifies important details between you and the host. The contract helps to avoid misunderstandings and problems during your stay. Download the Au Pair contract template, edit it, take into account your own needs and the laws of the host country. Sign the contract and carry it with you: it is one of the visa requirements, sometimes it is necessary for solving other formalities.
5. Prepare for the trip: clarify the formalities at the embassy of the host country, apply for a visa, collect documents for registration, believe or buy insurance, book tickets. If your host family is willing to help you with travel expenses, write this in your Au Pair contract. Please note that the host family is not responsible for covering transportation costs. Send the exact data on the date of your arrival, current contacts.
6. Adaptation to a new country: get to know your host-family, place of residence. Usually, children need some time to adapt to a new person, so do not worry if at first they seem detached. Immediately after arrival, discuss the weekly schedule: what to do and when, housekeeping rules, conditions for using the telephone and the Internet, the opportunity to attend language courses.
Experienced Au Pair Tips
- Do not rush to sign an Au Pair contract: make sure that the selected family really suits you.
- Be 100% honest on your profile. If you are a quiet introvert, tell me about it - some are looking for quiet, calm workers. If you are full of energy and are ready to participate in all family activities, tell us about it - any applicant will find a suitable offer. Just be patient and do not try to seem like someone else - you will deceive the expectations of people on whom you will depend in a foreign country.
- Make sure you enjoy working with people and especially children.
- “Pocket money” is a small amount allocated to an employee. This item provides only your agreement, but their absence will adversely affect the quality of your free time. Try to find out how much other housekeepers in this city get, what is the cost of living in the area (using public transport, gas, food prices).
- Answer the question honestly: are you ready for village life or do you prefer a city?
- Use your free time for travel, hobbies, entertainment. After you have worked the contract hours, go about your business.
- If you have a disagreement (this happens), be calm and respectful: in 9 out of 10 cases, difficulties are resolved quickly and painlessly.
- The time spent abroad often depends on the people you meet. Do not be afraid to meet new people: there are many groups on Facebook for housekeepers - you can join sports, do hobbies, go to the movies or go shopping together!