Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Description of Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
- Established: 1920
- Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Students age: from 17 years old
- Number of students: 65,000 students
- Language of instruction: Portuguese
- Type of study: state university.
The Federal University of Rio de Janeiro was founded in 1920 and is today the 3rd best university in Brazil and the 7th best university in Latin America (QS 2018 ranking).
The university is formed by campuses and faculties scattered throughout the state of Rio de Janeiro. It includes institutes, schools, museums, hospitals, and the third largest ocean basin in the world for offshore oil exploration research.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Accommodation, meals, prices
UFRJ offers student housing, located on the Cidade Universitária campus, with 504 rooms divided into two blocks - a female and a male.
The UFRJ food system aims to provide a balanced food supply to the university community, local culture and cuisine, and social and environmental support for students.
Activities Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
The Federal University of Rio de Janeiro campus hosts sports, music, cultural and other events and student organizations.
- Federal University of Rio de Janeiro is one of the leading educational institutions in Brazil, one of the top 5 universities in the national ranking.
- The university has earned an excellent international reputation for outstanding achievements in the areas of Arts and Humanities, Engineering and Technology, Life Sciences and Medicine, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Management. The university is in the top 200 in terms of teaching quality.
- The university has partnered with several national and multinational enterprises, some of which have premises on campus. Following a global trend, UFRJ creates and maintains collaborative relationships with institutions on all continents. Currently, partnerships have been concluded with more than 200 international organizations around the world.
- UFRJ is the first university created by the federal government in 1920, but some divisions were opened earlier. For example, the Ecole Polytechnique, founded in 1792, is considered the seventh oldest engineering school in the world. UFRJ merged the Ecole Polytechnique, the National School of Medicine, established in 1808, and the National School of Law, established in 1891.
- Ranked first in several academic rankings in Latin America, UFRJ offers 176 undergraduate programs, 232 graduate and doctoral courses. According to the Folha-2019 University Ranking, UFRJ is the most innovative university in the country. More than 4 thousand professors, 65 thousand students, 3 thousand civil servants working in hospitals, and 5,000 administrative technicians work here.
Facilities and equipment at Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro campuses are located throughout the state of Rio de Janeiro, on its territory there are educational, sports, cultural facilities:
- House of Science - Center for Cultural Science and Technology UFRJ
- Elio Oitichiki Arts Center
- Brazilian College of Scientific Research
- Memorial space of Carlos Chagas Filho
- Didactic laboratory of the Institute of Physics
- Museum of the Polytechnic School
- Geodiversity Museum
- Museum of Chemistry Athos da Silveira Ramos
- D. João VI Museum
- Instrumental Museum of Delgado de Carvalho
- Wandering Museum of Neurology
- Virtual museum
- National Museum
- Valongo Observatory.
Admission dates and extra charges
- 1 semester (autumn) - March-July
- 2 semester (spring) - August-December.
Summer holidays are about two months (January / February) and winter ones are about two weeks (July).
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
All courses are offered in Portuguese. Most schools and institutes accept students with a Portuguese level of A1 (varies depending on the courses chosen).
A University Language School (CLAC) is available, which offers intensive and regular courses in Portuguese as a foreign language (at an additional cost).
Scholarships Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
CAPES Development Scholarships are administered by PR-2 in collaboration with Graduate Program Coordinators. The main directions of this development agency are:
- Social Demand Program - DS
- Sandwich Overseas Doctoral Program - PDSE
- Student Program "Graduate Agreement" - PEC / PG.
Scholarships from other development agencies are requested directly by the program coordinator or student advisor.
Graduate students will be able to apply for scholarships for masters, doctoral and postdoctoral students.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.