The Federal University of Rio de Janeiro was founded in 1920 and is today the 3rd best university in Brazil and the 7th best university in Latin America (QS 2018 ranking).
The university is formed by campuses and faculties scattered throughout the state of Rio de Janeiro. It includes institutes, schools, museums, hospitals, and the third largest ocean basin in the world for offshore oil exploration research.
The Federal University of Rio de Janeiro offers 176 undergraduate courses / qualifications across 29 academic divisions spread over two campuses.
About 36 thousand undergraduate students are sent to day and evening courses, participate in teaching, research and dissemination projects in the framework of scientific, artistic and cultural activities under the guidance of qualified teachers and can receive a scholarship: monitoring, scientific initiative or artistic and cultural initiative.
Part of the academic activities of UFRJ students are internships, fieldwork and attending extracurricular courses, as well as work in 40 libraries and one hundred laboratories distributed in university centers. Many students are engaged in research and participate in the Days of Scientific Discovery, Days of Creative and Cultural Initiatives, presenting their work with graduate students.
The Federal University of Rio de Janeiro offers 226 postgraduate courses, divided into 101 academic master's degrees, 96 academic doctoral programs and 29 professional master's courses, enrolling about 15,000 students.
Research at UFRJ is conducted in laboratories with the involvement of faculty, undergraduate and graduate students. Undergraduate students participate in the institutional science initiation program. Some 2,000 CNPq and UFRJ Fellows also participate in it, in addition to the large number of student volunteers participating in research initiatives.
UFRJ offers student housing, located on the Cidade Universitária campus, with 504 rooms divided into two blocks - a female and a male.
The UFRJ food system aims to provide a balanced food supply to the university community, local culture and cuisine, and social and environmental support for students.
The Federal University of Rio de Janeiro campus hosts sports, music, cultural and other events and student organizations.
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro campuses are located throughout the state of Rio de Janeiro, on their territory there are educational, sports, cultural facilities:
Summer holidays are about two months (January / February) and winter ones are about two weeks (July).
All courses are offered in Portuguese. Most schools and institutes accept students with a Portuguese level of A1 (varies depending on the courses chosen).
A University Language School (CLAC) is available, which offers intensive and regular courses in Portuguese as a foreign language (at an additional cost).
CAPES Development Scholarships are administered by PR-2 in collaboration with Graduate Program Coordinators. The main directions of this development agency are:
Scholarships from other development agencies are requested directly by the program coordinator or student advisor.
Graduate students will be able to apply for scholarships for masters, doctoral and postdoctoral students.
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.