- TOP-5 important things you need to know about education in London
- Education in London for foreign students: prices, basic requirements for admission
- Admission to the school of London on the example of the Royal Russell School
The capital of Great Britain rightfully remains in the top of the best places to study abroad. Sending your child to study in London is an important decision, so SMAPSE experts will look at TOP-5 most important things you need to know to study and live in London.
Elite private schools, the oldest universities and prestigious language schools for foreign students are represented in London. According to the World University Rankings ranking, London is in the top 15 in terms of the quality of education provided at universities. The high level of teaching in English schools is evidenced by the fact that many countries, when forming academic programs, are guided by the model of British schools. The popular format of boarding schools (boarding houses) with permanent residence on campus first appeared here. To keep students always busy after class, the best schools in London organize leisure activities: additional electives, sports grounds in the boarding house, traditional events and field trips.
TOP-5 important things you need to know about education in London
- University entry requirements for undergraduate and graduate programs are quite high. If you decide to send your child to study in London, then the admission process needs to be planned for the year, because having a certificate of a Russian high school will not be enough for enrollment. Universities in London accept applications from candidates with good A-level, Foundation, IB or AP scores or after one year at the university in their native country.
- Studying at a school or university in London will require a good knowledge of English . The only exceptions are primary schools in London , where children with zero language skills from three years old study. In other cases, you will need to pass an interview with the selection committee in English or provide a language certificate of IELTS, CAE and other analogues.
- For foreign students who are planning to study for a long period (of more than 180 days), a Tier 4 child / general student visa is required. For short-term courses, summer camps and semester academic programs, a student visitor visa is required for up to 6 months. Consideration of documents for student visas takes 28 days.
- London is the capital of the world elite and billionaires. In the best educational institutions of London, children of famous entrepreneurs, politicians, public figures are studying. Be prepared for the environment from the cream of society, but in terms of knowledge and education, demand, however, is the same from everyone - not without reason, excellent education is the hallmark of the UK.
- Prices for studies in London are among the highest in Europe - this is largely due to the annual increase in education prices by 3-5%. In addition, a large amount will cost a child to live abroad - the cost of rent, utilities, food, communications.
Education in London for foreign students: prices, basic requirements for admission
Today, the cost of studying in London is on average 5,000 £ - 7,000 £ per semester. At the initial stage, students are presented with the minimum requirements for admission, the smallest children are supported in learning English. In high school, prices rise to 7,000 £ - 30000 £ per academic year. The benefits of studying in London are:
- international environment
- permanent residence in an English-speaking environment
- friends from all over the world
- backstage, elite atmosphere (some schools are located in real castles)
- school security
- GCSE certificate, quoted in all English-speaking countries
- compulsory study of foreign languages.
The oldest universities in the world are located in London, 6 (the so-called “Golden Triangle” of UK universities) are among the top 200 best in history.
Top universities in London and the most popular specialties:
Each of these universities makes the highest entry requirements and selects the most talented and diligent students - you can enter the Golden Triangle universities by passing 97% exams or A * A * A * A under the A-level program. Students of these universities receive research grants - among graduates of more than 50 Nobel laureates in various fields of science.
Popular destinations for higher education in London:
- business, economics
- the medicine
Tuition fees for types of academic programs:
- Undergraduate - from 3,350 £ to 16,500 £
- Master's program - from 4,340 £ to 15,340 £.
As mentioned above, to send a child to study at a university in London it will be necessary to compensate for the difference in the curricula. The UK education system allows you to study with preparation for college admission to the following academic programs:
- University pathway
- International year one
- International foundation
- IDP Diploma Program
- Preparing for the Oxbridge.
The latter program involves intensive annual preparation for admission to the best universities in London, Oxford and Cambridge. It includes, in addition to academic English classes and subjects, also lessons in writing a motivation letter, an academic essay, preparation for interviews with representatives of the selection committee.
Admission to the school of London on the example of the Royal Russell School
Royal Russell School is one of the top 9 best boarding schools in the country with its own territory of 100 acres. Accepts foreign students to study in middle school programs from 13 years old. In high school, there is the opportunity to qualify for the Royal Society for the Saving of Life (RLSS) by studying in elective.
Required documents for admission:
- language certificate
- motivation letter
- scorecard for the last 2 years
- recommendations from teachers
- school application
- health certificate and vaccinations
- interviews with school representatives on Skype or in person.
The cost of studying at a secondary school for foreign students is 8,385 £ per term, GCSE and A-Level from 11,325 £. However, in addition to tuition fees, there are expenses associated with admission and registration:
depends on the agency
School proof of deposit
Tuition deposit (refundable)
Additional English lessons (EFL) for foreign students
1,200 £ / term