- Covent garden
- Elephant and castle
- Gospel oak
- Seven sisters
- Maida vale
- Piccadilly Circus
- Shepherd's Bush
- Swiss Cottage
- East India
- Brick lane
Open the London Underground map - the names of some stations will seem curious and even bizarre: some are more suitable for medieval fantasy (Knightsbridge, Queensway), others for a children's book (Piccadilly Circus, Elephant & Castle), while others still make Londoners smile (Shepherd's Bush, Cockfosters).
The name of this station extends to the subway and shopping gallery, the opera hall, the West End area. By the XIII century. the site was a walled orchard area owned by the monks of Westminster Abbey. They called it "the garden of the abbey and monastery" and then "the monastery garden". Captured by King Henry VIII after the dissolution of the monasteries, it was later redesigned into a residential area. Now Covent Garden is one of the most famous tourist attractions in London .
Elephant and castle
Elephant and Castle is one of the most bizarre (and perplexing) names out there. It is a station in south London, whose name goes back to the history of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers - a medieval guild of craftsmen who made swords and knives. In the 18th century, the Elephant and the Castle hotel and pub functioned here, named out of respect for local carvers. The gunsmiths have long disappeared from the area, and the pub was demolished, but the memories of them are alive - the old facade of the pub hangs on the facade of a nearby shopping center, and the name of the station that serves the Bakerloo and Northern lines makes you remember the craftsmen who once lived in these places.
The name doesn't sound particularly elegant or even offensive, but its roots are surprisingly royal. The final stop heading north on the Piccadilly Line (and also the name of the suburb), Cockfosters was once the site of the Anfield Chase, a royal park that was home to nearly 3,000 deer, with foresters guarding the park from potential poachers or loggers. The title of senior forester in English is Cockfoster. For the first time this name was recorded in 1524, and in 1613 the house of the chief forester was recorded under this name.
The name "Gospel Oak" comes from the tree under which many legendary figures are said to have preached - St. Augustine, Edward the Confessor, John Wesley, even St. Paul. The tree marked the border between the parishes of Hampstead and St. Pancras. The gospel oak disappeared somewhere in the middle of the 19th century. Since the 1850s, compact terraced houses have been built here for the lower middle class. The dense pattern of the buildings left no room for greenery, with the exception of the Lismore Circus. One writer complained that "there is not a single seedling of this strong plant in the Oak Village."
The tree-planting tradition in the area goes back hundreds of years: the first evidence of a tree circle dates back to 1619 - an unnamed tree ring can be seen on a map of the area in the western part of Page Green. About ten years later, a local priest, historian William Bedwell, mentions an ancient walnut tree surrounded by a group of elms. The myth has become a documented history since the 18th century, but at some point the nut disappeared, leaving behind a circle of elms. They were first recorded as "Seven Sisters" in 1732.
The Seven Sisters became a famous landmark at that time because the new street connecting Tottenham and Camden Town was named Seven Sisters Road. In 1872, the Seven Sisters railway station opened nearby, and later a metro station.
The name conjures up images of English milkmaids and lush green valleys, and some might hear "made of ale." But the name comes from a city in Calabria, Italy , which became famous when the British crushed Napoleon's allies in the Battle of 1806 - Waterloo Station and Trafalgar Square were named after similar victories. The pub called "Maida's Hero" disappeared, but not before it gave its name to the street, and in 1915 - a station on the Paddington Line.
Today, glass-fronted high-rise buildings and bustling streets stretch across Aldgate, an area east of the City of London. But the name of the borough and the two nearby tube stations - Aldgate, serving the Metropolitan, Circle, Aldgate East, Hammersmith & City, District streets - comes from a time when the area looked different. About 190, when London was Londinium, the Romans surrounded the city with a wall; they also built six gates, including one at the site of present-day Aldgate. Unlike the rest, they did not charge tolls - aldgate translates as "open to all." Another version of the translation - ale was served here in a pub for newly arrived in the city, so they began to call it "el-gate". The gate was demolished in the 1760s in an attempt to ease congestion, but it continues to live in the Moorgate and Aldgate metro stations (not to mention the parish of Bishopsgate, Newgate Street and Ludgate Hill).
This metro station got its name not from a long-forgotten fair, but from an alternative meaning of the word "circus", meaning a round intersection at which several streets intersect. (This also explains Oxford Circus, a tube station just half a mile to the northwest.) " Piccadille " is a large ruffled collar that was at the height of fashion in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. A London tailor named Robert Baker made a fortune and built in 1611 a stately home known as Piccadilly Hall. In 1819, an intersection was built here, it was called Piccadilly Circus, and later a metro station was opened.
This station on the Central Line was - like the road on which it is located - named after Queen Victoria. The station was named after the Queen shortly after she ascended the throne: as a child, the heiress to the British throne rode horses at nearby Kensington Palace. In the meantime, there is no need to know about it. ”
It was once a rural area far from central London, which makes one of the possible explanations for the strange name surprisingly sensible: "shepherd bush" - a shelter that a shepherd builds by pruning a hawthorn bush. Some, however, argue that this came from Sheppards Bush Green's behalf - which, of course, raises the question of who Sheppard was and what made him so remarkable.
The station is named after a nearby pub, which was originally called the Swiss Tavern and was later renamed Swiss Cottage. Built in the mid-1800s, it is designed in the popular Swiss cottage style in which some of the houses of the time were built.
Like Swiss Cottage, the Angel area appears to be named after the Angel Inn, which has operated since the 1600s. The tavern still exists, although it was taken over by a chain restaurant.
This station belongs to the residential complex next to it. The name comes from the old Latin word barbacana , which meant "fortified castle gates". When the houses were destroyed during World War II, the site was rebuilt in a functional, austere architectural style.
East India - A station on DLR (Docklands Light Rail) in East London is named after the East Indies docks, where ships from India unloaded cargo.
Brick Lane - the street got its name from the brick and tile production that has existed here since the 15th century. The area is now known for its delicious curries and many Indian restaurants along the street.