Swiss higher education is rightfully considered to be one of the best in the world: there are many prestigious educational institutions that are known for their high academic level, modern approaches and methods, and a wide variety of programs. Every year in the universities of the country seeking to enroll students from all over the world, and the popularity of schools from year to year only increases. Educational institutions are regularly included in the TOP lists of international rankings: thus, in the first ten is the Swiss Higher Technical School. Also, universities are strong in research and development, which for the most part are financed by private companies. Institutions are divided into several types:
- Traditional universities: there are 12 traditional ones, 2 of them - federal, special attention is paid to theory and fundamental science
- Universities of Applied Sciences: make an emphasis on practical disciplines-architecture, engineering, medicine and others
- Pedagogical: specialize in teacher education and research related to aspects of school education.
There are few private universities in the country, most of the funding comes from the budget of the confederation or a certain region.
QS World University Rankings
The company Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) annually provides professional rankings of educational institutions, the calculations in which are based on the scores for the following indicators:
- Academic reputation (general assessment of the effectiveness of the educational process)
- Number of students and teachers (ratio)
- Reputation from employers (level of qualification and success of graduates)
- Number of foreign teachers and students
QS also compiles lists for individual sciences and directions - for example, a university can occupy a low place in the general ranking, but be in the first 20 for a certain discipline. According to QS Ranking, 4 Swiss institutions are in TOP-100 (indicated in the international ranking):
78. University of Geneva.
The Times Higher Education (THE)
The edition has its own, carefully thought-out methodology for counting, and each year presents reports and rankings of educational institutions that are recognized in the world scientific community as exceptionally high-quality. When calculating the total score, the following indicators are taken into account:
- Academic environment (opinions of students and experts on the quality of education, the number of students and teachers, the number of graduates from the total number of students)
- Reputation of research and scientific work (quantity, income from research)
- Citation (clarifying the impact on the development of modern science)
- Number of foreign teachers and students
- Innovations for business and other industries (the impact of university activities on the development and transformation of the economy and other spheres of society).
In addition to the general list, THE presents data on individual sciences, regions of the world, general characteristics and other classifications. According to THE best in Switzerland are (the positions in the general international list are given):
105. University of Bern
130. University of Geneva
136. University of Zurich
152. University of Lausanne.
According to such indicators as the citation index, the reputation among employers and the total number of foreign students, Swiss institutions are among the best in the world.
US News & World Report
The American edition of US News & World Report publishes a professional and significant ranking, the methodology of which includes the following indicators:
- Research reputation (world and regional);
- Publications in publications;
- Carrying out of conferences;
- The citation index;
- General citation;
- Quoting by indicators;
- The level of international cooperation.
US News & World Report usually includes the following institutions in the TOP-100 from Switzerland (ranked in the ranking):
In addition, prestigious universities of applied sciences deserve to be mentioned, which occupy low places in the general world rankings, but they have quite high indicators for certain sciences and directions. The best universities of applied sciences (the position in the national ranking is indicated):
14. BFH Berner Fachhochschule
18. Zurcher Hochschule der Künste
19. Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
20. Hochschule für Technik Rapperswil
21. Hochschule Luzern
29. Haute École d'Ingénierie et de Gestion du Canton de Vaud
46. Hochschule für Wirtschaft Zürich
61. Haute École de Theater de Suisse Romande Haute école spécialisée de Suisse occidentale.