The secondary education system in Great Britain differs from the Russian one: British children go to school from the age of 5, that is, at the time of grade 9, local children are younger than Russian students. Therefore, when transferring to a school in the UK, we will always "jump" through grade 1, that is, after our 8 grade, the student will immediately go to 10.
It is worth remembering that the number of classes differs: in the UK, school graduates after grade 13. Junior school starts in grade 5, middle school starts at grade 9 and ends in grade 11. The last two years of study in high school (grades 12 and 13), the guys devote to preparing for the final exams. At the end of the 12th grade, everyone receives preliminary assessments, which are sent along with a package of documents to the selected universities (that is, one year before the actual start of studies at the university). At the end of the 13th grade, prospective students receive final marks, which are sent to the admissions offices, and even then the university decides whether it can give a place to this student, whether his grades have worsened or improved.
Already in secondary school, a student is obliged to choose the direction in which he plans to develop. For example, if in the future he plans to conduct research in cell engineering, then he must choose:
- laboratory work as a separate subject
- English or other languages.
For this student, all humanitarian subjects are not a priority; further education concentrates only on the necessary areas. Moreover, depending on the chosen program in high school ( A - level or IB ), the student chooses either 4 or 6 final subjects, respectively.
It is better to enroll in a year, since in addition to the general package of documents, the school will ask the future student to pass entrance tests in the main subjects (mathematics and English). This is a requirement for junior and high school, for high school exams can be assigned in each subject.
The general list of documents is generally the same for each school:
- Copy of 1 page of the passport
- Language certificate (English, German, French or other - depending on the educational institution and country)
- School report card with grades for the last 2, 3 or 4 years (depending on requirements)
- Registration form filled out according to the sample
- Recommendations from teachers (foreign language, mathematics and class teacher). Director's recommendation may be required
- Testing the level of knowledge in certain disciplines (mathematics, language and other subjects)
- Interview with a school employee (in person or via Skype)
- Portfolio (certificates, awards, personal achievements)
- Motivation letter
- Photo of passport format (from 1 to 12 pieces)
- Medical certificate of the child's health status, vaccination record
- Birth certificate.
Sometimes a child needs extra help preparing with tutors in English or other subjects. It is necessary to set aside time for the selection of a teacher and the beginning of work with a child - it is better to contact the agency in order to indicate with a specialist all the necessary terms.