Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
Description of Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
- Established: 1934
- Location: Porto Alegre and Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Students age: 17+
- Number of students: 3 1 000
- Type of studying: mixed
- Accommodation type: residence, apartments
- Language of instruction: Portuguese.
The Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul is one of the largest educational institutions in Brazil: for seven years in a row, the university was named the best in the country. The university has about 31,000 students, 12,000 graduate students and 2,600 teachers. As a public educational institution, the university offers budget places, and the cost of commercial places is low.
The university with more than a century of history has national and international recognition. The history of the university is connected with its predecessor, established in 1895 - the School of Pharmacy and Chemistry. In the 1950s, the educational institution expanded into a multidisciplinary university, and in 1947 it received its modern name. Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul offers undergraduate and graduate courses in 29 faculties, schools and institutes:
- College of Architecture
- School of Communication
- College of Economics
- Pedagogical Institute
- College of Law
- College of Pharmacy
- Medical Institute
- Faculty of Dentistry
- School of Veterinary Medicine
- Institute of Biological Sciences
- Institute of Chemistry
- Faculty of Fine Arts
- Institute of Food Technology
- Faculty of Geology
- Medical Institute
- Institute of Hydraulic Research
- College Institute of Informatics
- Institute of Linguistics, Languages and Literature
- Faculty of Mathematics and Statistics
- Institute of Philosophy and Humanities
- Institute of Physics
- Academy of Psychology
- School of Agronomy
- School of Engineering
- Faculty of Management
- School of nursing
- School of Sports.
- UniPage World University Ranking = 437
- QS World University Rankings = 457
- ARWU Academic Ranking = 401
- Engineering and Technology Subject Ranking = 282 in the world
- Life Sciences and Medicine = 298
- Natural sciences = 400 in the world
- National ranking = 5.
Among the graduates of the university are high-ranking officials, three presidents, talented professors and successful creative personalities:
- Presidents of Brazil Getulio Dornelles Vargas Getulio Vargas, Joao Goularta, Dilma Rousseff
- Minister of Education Paulo Renato Sousa
- Actor Jorge Furtado
- Musician Umberto Gessinger
- Jose Mauro Volkmer de Castillo engineer
- Writer Moakir Sklar
- Agronomist and ecologist Jose Luzenberger
- Stem Cell Researcher Patricia Pranke
- Business, entrepreneur Jorge Gerdau Johannpeter.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
Accommodation, meals, prices
Students live in dorms or rent rooms and apartments.
Facilities and equipment at Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
The university is located in Porto Allegri, in the state of Rio Grande di Sul. It is the southernmost state in Brazil, bordered by Santa Catarina to the north and Uruguay to the south. The state ranks fourth in terms of GDP, fifth in terms of population. The territory of the university is 2185 hectares, 371 742 sq. m. built-up area with ennobled gardens and forest areas.
The infrastructure of the university includes:
- Lecture halls
- Publishing Center
- Sport complexes.
Admission dates and extra charges
- Communications and electricity
- Recreation and sports.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
The federal university is very popular among local and foreign students. Applicants need to collect a standard package of documents, provide data on academic performance and level of language proficiency.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.