- Level of English proficiency
- Choosing a university
- Documents required for admission
- Financial assistance
At the moment, USA is a place of concentration of graduates from all over the world who want to enter TOP universities and get a high-quality, popular education, become specialists and experts in their field, work in prestigious companies. Education in America is expensive, and the admission program for many is complex and incomprehensible, but this article will tell you how to do everything right and increase your own chances of admission.
Level of English proficiency
When entering an American university, it is necessary to understand that all subjects are conducted in English, which can become a serious problem in the learning process. That is why it is required to pass an exam to determine the level of knowledge of the English language: IELTS or TOEFL.
Choosing a university
Approach the choice of higher education institution should be thoroughly and carefully. Do not rely only on the rating - study the reviews of parents, graduates of recent years, visit virtual open days, consider the list of companies cooperating with the institution, employment.
Also pay attention to the category of the institution - public or private. State institutions do not provide scholarships for international students and are open for admission to Americans living in the same state in which the institution is located.
Separately, we look at funding - this is a very important factor if you are counting on a scholarship. The larger the fund, the higher the chance of getting a scholarship. In terms of financial assistance, the leaders are:
- Columbia University with help for 250 international students
- Ivy League universities (for example, Princeton, in which 60% of students received payments in the amount of 52 thousand dollars on average).
Pathway is a program that helps international students prepare for further study. The student raises the level of English to IELTS 6.0 and above and can enter the university of interest without exams.
University Transfer Programs
Preparation of foreign students for admission to the second year of the bachelor's degree, which allows you to save one year and have time to adapt to life in the country.
Directed language preparation in order to improve the academic level of English.
If you are confident in your abilities and are set for a high result, then you need to pass the TOEFL/IELTS/GMAT language exam.
Documents required for admission
Submission of applications begins much earlier. Studying in the 11th grade, you send an application until December and get the result in the spring, around April.
How do I apply?
- Recommendation from teachers. Text-description of the student, his performance in individual subjects, activity, participation in events, scientific projects and research activities at school.
- Scoreboard. A list of your school or university grades at the time of application. It is made out strictly in the form of a spreadsheet according to the template: the name of the item, the number of hours passed and the mark. Confirmation of the management of the school or higher education institution is required.
- Questionnaire. Here you collect all the information about yourself, education, academic performance, awards and other achievements. It is necessary to provide the data of the parents: name, date of birth, place of work. A motivation letteris also attached to the questionnaire, in which you describe all your capabilities, why you chose this particular university, how you made a choice and what you are better than others. The questionnaire is filled out on the website of the university at the time of application.
- Portfolio. When entering creative specialties, it is necessary to make a selection of your best works and attach them to the application.
The main expenses during the study are housing, food and studying itself. Need-based aid is helping those in need who are not able to pay for education on their own. The university can fully provide for a student if his income does not increase $ 60,000, and pay only for tuition if the income is not more than $ 120,000. The better you learn, the greater the chance of getting the maximum security.
Options for foreign schoolchildren:
- High school diploma program: admission after the ninth grade to a private school
- Admission to community (international) college
- Year one program and submission of documents for the first year.