Description of Bilkent University
- Year of foundation: 1984;
- Location: Ankara, Turkey;
- Students age: from 18 years;
- Number of students: 12,000 people;
- Language of instruction: Turkish;
- Type of study: private university.
Bilkent University is the first private university in Turkey, founded in 1984. Its name is an abbreviation of Bilim Kenti, which means "city of science" in Turkish.
Preparations for the opening of Bilkent University began in 1967, when the foundation of a research university was laid. The institution opened its doors in 1984, enrolling 386 students. Today it houses more than 12,000 students from various countries and includes nine faculties, two graduate departments, three doctoral institutes, a preparatory program and an English language school.
Bilkent University attaches great importance to internationalization - the university has a large number of international students from more than 63 countries: 7.2% of the students and 23.9% of the academic staff are foreign nationals.
Faculties and colleges
The university has several faculties:
- Applied Sciences,
- Arts, Design & Architecture,
- Business Administration,
- Economics, administrative and social sciences,
- Music and performing arts.
Things to know about
The school has an English language school, which conducts courses for all levels of knowledge: from beginner to advanced. Students enrolled in language programs are required to attend them. On average, the course lasts about eight weeks, after which students take a language exam.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Bilkent University
Accommodation, meals, prices
The university's residential buildings house about 4,600 students in 26 residence halls and offer a safe, comfortable environment.
The new on-campus dormitory building opens in the fall semester of the 2019-2020 academic year. Its building, located next to the Athletic Center, consists of two separate dormitories: a 12-story block for female students and an 8-story block for male students.
- Rooms for 1-4 students,
- Several Deluxe Rooms,
- Single and bunk beds, desks, closets for books and luggage, mini-fridges and telephones in each room,
- Common areas: self-catering kitchens, lounges, self-study rooms, laundry and ironing facilities, play and guest areas,
- Dedicated bicycle parking at the entrances,
- 1-gigabit UTP connection: wired and wireless. Free and unlimited network access for academic purposes is provided. Wired or wireless Internet access is available in at least one common room for dormitory classes.
Cost is from $348 per semester.
Activities Bilkent University
Student club events, concerts, festivals, exhibitions, talks and other activities create a rich atmosphere of culture, art and entertainment. Bilkent University adds color to the social life of students through its vibrant atmosphere. Festivals, film screenings, theatrical productions and many other events held on campus throughout the year will engage every student.
The Physical Education and Sports Center will provide a healthy lifestyle for students, enrich campus life and provide athletic skills that students can use throughout life through quality physical education, proper nutrition and professional activities.
Student club activities are an integral part of a dynamic environment and the beginning of new friendships. On campus, the 4,000-seat ODEON Performance Center occupies an important place in the cultural life of the institution, hosting a variety of concerts. The Bilkent Center, Bilkent Hotel and Conference Center, Bilkent Ankuva Shopping Centre and Bilkent Station, which are all within walking distance of campus, increase the number of entertainment venues around the university with its restaurants, cafes and cinemas. These places meet the diverse needs of students in technology, communications, food, home textiles, clothing and similar sectors.
- The educational approach of Bilkent University is aimed at developing students' original thinking, rational decision-making skills. These qualities, combined with a thorough knowledge of business and a mature worldview, make Bilkent graduates successful. Bilkent expands the international vision of its students through exchange agreements with more than 320 universities from 48 different countries.
- Bilkent, ranked high in the world rankings for the number of international scholarly publications per faculty member, plays a pioneering role in higher education. Bilkent University received the Practical Achievement Award in a 2018 assessment by the Council on Higher Education in conjunction with QS.
- Bilkent founded the Career Center in 1988 to guide students after graduation, to create a strong connection between students, alumni and the business world. The center is the first unit opened for this purpose at a university in Turkey, and today it serves as the Office of Career and Alumni Affairs. Students and alumni can apply online for internships and job postings at member companies by uploading their resumes to the office's database,
- The university is ranked 54th in the Times Higher Education Asia rankings,
- The institution is ranked third on the list of top universities in Turkey,
- Bilkent University leads the ranking of universities in Turkey in terms of the employment rate of graduates.
Facilities and equipment at Bilkent University
The territory of the university with its modern and well-kept buildings is 500,000 square meters.
A safe, clean environment, regular traffic and green spaces are the hallmarks of the campus. Bilkent University has all the amenities a university campus should have:
- Computers, high-speed internet;
- Safe campus;
- Athletic facilities;
- Transport connection;
- Book Shop;
- Art gallery;
- Radio "Bilkent";
- Postal and banking services.
Admission dates and extra charges
Programs run from mid-September to mid-June. Bilkent University organizes summer school during the summer months.
Translation of application - $78,
Certificate of Registration,
Amnesty prep exam - $91,
Accommodation, meals - from $348 per semester.
The procedure for enrolling in an institution consists of several stages:
- Filling out an online application and submitting the required documents,
- Payment of registration fees,
- Approval of the application and invitation to the campus,
- Passing entrance examinations,
- Payment of part of the cost of the program and the beginning of training.
Students who graduated from Bilkent University continue their careers around the world:
- City University of New York,
- European University of Tirana,
- University of Chicana,
- Middle East Technical University,
- Istanbul University on May 29,
- Florida International University,
- Council of Higher Education in Turkey,
- Çankaya University and others.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
International applicants must meet the following requirements:
- SAT: Reasoning Test (900 to 1600 in Math, Critical Reading), Subject Test (500 to 800),
- GCE (Advanced Level: General Certificate Education), A-Level (minimum of three C-level courses), International Baccalaureate (28 to 45),
- Language requirements: IELTS (6.5 overall, minimum 5.5 for each section), TOEFL iBT (from 87).
Prospective students must also have a valid passport, health insurance and vaccination certificate, visa or residency permit.
The institution does not have a specific minimum or maximum score for each aspect of the application, so applicants are evaluated comprehensively. School grades, graduation grades, examination results, success in extracurricular activities, and the department chosen for admission determine the outcome of admission and the possibility of receiving a scholarship.
Scholarships Bilkent University
Scholarships are offered to students who are particularly successful in their studies and provide full or partial coverage of its cost: from 20% to 100%. Living stipends are also available to students, but the criteria for selecting winners in this category are stricter - the student must already have a discount on program fees.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Bilkent University
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.