Description of Bilkent University
- Year of foundation: 1984;
- Location: Ankara, Turkey;
- Students age: from 18 years;
- Number of students: 12,000 people;
- Language of instruction: Turkish;
- Type of study: private university.
Preparations for the opening of Bilkent University, the first private university in Turkey, began in 1967 when the foundation of a research university was laid. Bilkent University was founded on October 20, 1984, starting with 386 students in October 1986. Today it encompasses over 12,000 students from 9 faculties, 2 graduate departments, 3 doctoral institutes, a preparatory program and the School of English. A large number of foreign students from 63 countries of the world study at the university - Bilkent University attaches great importance to internationalization: 7.2% of students and 23.9% of academic staff are foreign citizens.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Bilkent University
Accommodation, meals, prices
Bilkent University's dormitories accommodate approximately 4600 students, consist of 26 buildings, and offer a safe, comfortable and hygienic atmosphere.
The new dormitory building on Central Campus will open in the fall semester of the 2019-2020 academic year. The new building, located between the gymnasium and the 77th dormitory, consists of two separate dormitories: a 12-story building for female students and an 8-story building for male students.
- There are special bike parks at the entrances of the hostels;
- All dormitories have study rooms, study areas, and some have drawing tables;
- All hostels have washing and drying machines, ironing rooms;
- The campus has its own laundry and dry cleaning services;
- All rooms have 1 Gigabit UTP connection, wired and wireless on request, free and unlimited network access for academic purposes. Wired or wireless Internet access is available in at least one shared dorm room.
Activities Bilkent University
Student club events, concerts, festivals, exhibitions, talks and other events create a rich atmosphere of culture, art and entertainment.
The Center for Physical Education and Sports will provide a healthy lifestyle for students at Bilkent University, enrich campus life and provide students with sports skills that they can use throughout their lives through quality physical education, sports.
Bilkent University adds color to the social life of its students with its vibrant campus atmosphere. Festivals, film screenings, theatrical performances, and many other on-campus events throughout the year are the starting points to be remembered for.
The activities of student clubs are an integral part of a dynamic environment, the beginning of new friendships. On campus, the 4,000-seat ODEON Performance Center plays an important role in the capital's cultural life, hosting unforgettable concerts.
The Bilkent Center, Bilkent Hotel and Conference Center, Bilkent Ankuva Shopping Center and Bilkent Station, all within walking distance of campus, are increasing the entertainment options around the university with its restaurants, cafes and cinemas. These locations meet the diverse needs of students working in technology, communications, food, home textiles, clothing, and similar sectors.
- The educational approach of Bilkent University is aimed at developing students' original thinking and rational decision-making skills. These qualities, combined with a deep knowledge of the business, a mature worldview, make Bilkent graduates successful. Bilkent broadens the international vision of its students through exchange agreements with over 320 universities in 48 different countries.
- Ranked high in the world in terms of the number of international scientific publications per teacher, Bilkent is playing a pioneering role in higher education. Bilkent University received the Practical Achievement Award based on an assessment prepared by the Council for Higher Education in conjunction with QS in 2018.
- Bilkent founded the Career Center in 1988 to guide students after graduation, creating a strong bond between students, alumni and the business world. This center is the first unit opened for this purpose at a university in Turkey, today it serves as the Career and Alumni Office. Students and alumni can apply online for internships and job advertisements at member companies by uploading their resumes to the office's database.
Facilities and equipment at Bilkent University
The territory of the university with its modern and well-kept buildings is 500,000 square meters.
A safe, clean environment, regular traffic and green spaces are the hallmarks of the campus. Bilkent University has all the amenities a university campus should have:
- Computers, high-speed internet;
- Safe campus;
- Athletic facilities;
- Transport connection;
- Book Shop;
- Art gallery;
- Radio "Bilkent";
- Postal and banking services.
Admission dates and extra charges
List of extra charges to pay additionally to tuition fee:
- Fee for a transfer request;
- Transcript Fee;
- Student certificate;
- Amnesty exam preparation fee.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
- Reasoning Test - 900-1600 (mathematics, critical reading);
- Subject Test - 500-800.
Requirements for the certificate:
- GCE - Advanced Level (General Certificate Education);
- A Level - at least three disciplines marked "C";
- International Baccalaureate (IB) - 28-45.
- IELTS - 6.5 overall, minimum 5.5 for each section;
- TOEFL iBT - 87.
Scholarships Bilkent University
- Prospective students applying for financial aid are assessed according to their high school grades, scores on national and / or international exams, programs of their choice, and other relevant academic criteria.
- Qualified applicants are offered scholarships for partial or full tuition fees. Tuition Waiver Scholarships are awarded at five levels, ranging from 20% to 100% in 20% increments.
- Accommodation scholarships may be available to a limited number of top students receiving full tuition waiver scholarships.
- Students can take advantage of the scholarships to pay tuition for a maximum of 4 semesters (English Preparatory Program) / 10 semesters maximum (4-year Bachelor's degree programs).
- Accommodation scholarships are available for up to 8 semesters. Students receiving a Living Scholarship must maintain a minimum annual GPA of 2.5-4.0. Students who do not meet this condition will be denied the scholarship for accommodation.
- If disciplinary action is taken against a fellow, his or her current scholarship may be reduced or canceled depending on the disciplinary offense and sanctions imposed.
- At the end of each academic year, international students who have completed at least the minimum course load (excluding any additional or canceled courses), who have achieved an annual grade point average of 3.3 or higher, and who are in the top 5% of all non-scholarship students may become eligible for a scholarship for the next academic year.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Bilkent University
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.