Nowadays, the USA is one of the world leaders in education. Here there are many elite and prestigious educational institutions, regularly occupying high places in popular rankings and top-lists for the most varied indicators. Programs, including short-term ones, passed in the United States are highly valued all over the world. Many educational institutions offer summer and vacation programs for students, including language practice and active recreation.
The popularity of summer language schools in the USA is explained by several reasons:
- One of the leading education systems in the modern world
- A large number of prestigious educational institutions
- The combination of study, recreation, sports and creativity
- Carefully combined language courses
- Solving organizational issues at the highest level
- Classes in various sports and creativity
- Cultural and entertainment programs
- Variety of courses
- Available for children with poor language level
- Providing security and 24-hour supervision of students
- Accommodation in comfortable conditions
- Excellent feedback from participants and experts.
For foreign students there are various directions:
1) Athletic. Active classes and improving skills in a certain sport (both for amateur and professional):
- Field hockey
- American football
- Diving, etc.
2) Creative. Active occupations of various arts. Experienced mentors and experts work with the participants:
- Theatrical art
- Support of theatrical productions
- Acting in the theater
- Acting in the cinema
- Different directions in music (hip-hop, jazz, pop-music, rock and others)
- Playing musical instruments (including rare ones)
- Sound recording
- Graphic arts
- The photo, etc.
3) Academic. Includes various disciplines. It is useful, first of all, for those who want to tighten their knowledge or come to study in a foreign country:
- World Languages
- Natural Sciences
- Humanitarian sciences
- American and World Literature
- Environmental Science
- Computer science
- Civil engineering, etc.
4) Recreation and entertainment. Activities from entertainments are included in all summer school schedules, but there are also separate programs that are focused on vacation - for example, visiting a large number of tourist places, attractions, travel to several cities.
It should be remembered that the above directions are not completely independent, and the activities complement each other, making up a balanced plan for study and recreation, including linguistic, academic, sporting, creative and adventure aspects. Students learn a lot about the country and society, adapt to the rules of conduct. Often the course becomes a kind of preparatory stage for those who plan to enter the US educational institutions. All participants are divided into several age groups, for each a certain load is peculiar. For the youngest, special programs are provided, in which parents participate. Language classes have several options:
- Standard Course
- Preparation for passing tests and exams
- A bias toward a certain aspect in linguistics (for example, writing skills).
Education takes place in a friendly, cozy atmosphere, teachers and staff have a rich work experience and create all conditions to make students feel at home. In addition to language development, many important skills are acquired, such as independence, effective communication, critical thinking. Also there is a great opportunity to get acquainted with different cultures and get friends from all over the world. After graduation, a certificate is issued, which becomes a serious advantage in the child's achievements.
The host country provides accommodation and meals for foreign participants for the entire period of study. The most popular and widespread option is the residence - the participants live on campus establishments, in 1-2-bed rooms with other students. Employees are around the clock in the hostel, and help solve any arising issue. Meals are served in the campus building, meals 3-5 times a day. The second type of accommodation is the host family. Here the students live in the house of an American family, in a separate bedroom. This type is interesting in that it becomes possible to look at life "from within", constantly practice conversational English and generally have fun. All families undergo strict control by employees. Breakfast and dinner students get at home, and lunch on campus. Less common type is individual accommodation (apartment rental). It is not available everywhere, since studying involves a complete language immersion. This type is in demand in case of any special conditions. The food and the entire infrastructure of the camp is fully provided to the student while on campus.
TOP-5 summer schools for foreign students:
1. Idyllwild Arts Academy
- computer design
- music (playing instruments, vocals, chorus)
- fine arts
2. Cushing Academy Boston
- preparatory courses for school and college
- studio art
- development of critical thinking skills
- English as a foreign language course
- school of engineering (robotics).
3. Summer Camp Harvard University
- Course "Leadership and Innovation".
4. Hun Summer School of Princeton
Academic English courses + disciplines (chemistry, physics, geometry and others) / US culture.
5. University of California Summer Camp
- E-Level Course (9-10 years)
- J-Level Courses (11-12 years)
- M-Level Courses (13-14 years)
- S-Level Courses (15-17 years) (Humanities; mathematics, science and technology, interdisciplinary research)
- A-Level (visual arts and acting)
- R-Level (fitness and relaxation).
The cost of participation varies depending on the institution, intensity, focus and other conditions and, on average, is 1000 $ - 3000 $ per week. The total cost usually includes:
- Language lessons
- Accommodation and meals
- Sports and Creative Activities
- Academic disciplines (if available)
- Excursions and entertainment.
Individual items of expenditure include flight, document processing and visas, personal pocket money. Parents / representatives should not forget that the demand for participation is very high, and, despite the abundance of proposals, it is worthwhile to take care of the reservation in advance (especially in prestigious centers). The process of admission does not conceal in itself the pitfalls and contains a few simple conditions:
- Passport and certified copy
- Filling out an application for participation (parents or legal representatives or a student)
- Providing a certificate of language proficiency (if necessary)
- Consent to comply with all the rules of conduct adopted in the school
- Recommendations from the teacher from the place of study (if needed)
- Timely payment.
Summer schools in the USA - this is an ideal summer plan for students. Study and rest in combination give a positive effect, and tens of thousands of foreign students who have passed through their studies and give positive characteristics confirm this.