Ranking and describing the top universities in Australia for students seeking a major in film, drama and dance.
Advantages of Australian universities
Australia is one of the educational centers in the world with excellent conditions for the realization of creative potential. One of the reasons to choose a university in Australia is the guaranteed quality of education with an emphasis on practical skills. At the top universities in Australia, students study a specialty according to the most relevant programs, receive scholarships and earn extra money in their free time. Intensive and expensive training will result in a prestigious diploma that is highly valued by employers.
The programs of universities are updated annually, and when developing them, trends in the labor market and the needs of local and foreign students are taken into account. A wide range of programs is another advantage of Australian educational institutions. Hundreds of quality academic courses of varying intensity and duration are waiting for students. Acting, directing, theater management, costume design, scenography are just some of the programs that await students at Australian universities.
Top 5 Australian Universities for Film, Drama, Dance
In the learning process, students go through a large number of subjects, both compulsory and elective. Some programs provide broad training - then students study a large number of courses related not only to acting, dance and cinema, but also to script development, analysis of performances, directing, and production.
- RMIT University - Asia Pacific's Best is Australia's premier university with internationally recognized art programs. Students gain access to state-of-the-art infrastructure, including creative studios and a media center. Here you can study visual design, animation, merchandising, photography and fashion.
- The University of New South Wales is a leading educational institution in the country with the largest art community of students, practitioners, teachers and researchers. The main areas of the university: media, humanities and design. At the university, you can study advertising, design, branding, photography and much more.
- The University of Sydney is a leading university in Sydney, proud of its creative faculty, where you can study art, photography, media, architecture, visual arts, UX design and communication. A distinctive feature is its own art gallery and museum.
- University of Technology Sydney (UTS ) - students of this university immerse themselves in the world of art, study the main artistic directions, animation, fashion, product design, photography.
- The University of Melbourne is one of the oldest universities in Australia with the most modern and in-demand programs. The dignity of the university is in close cooperation with commercial and government organizations, universities in Australia and abroad. This allows students to participate in exchange programs and undergo paid internships.
How education in Australia is structured
Cinematography, theater and dance are all part of the Performing arts program. Teaching in this program is practice-oriented, immerses students in the learning process, and requires a lot of commitment. From the first day, students will have practice, master classes and lectures. Some universities allow students to earn extra money or do an internship while studying. Universities hold contests, festivals and auditions that prepare specialists to work in a competitive environment.
How long are the programs?
Most bachelor's courses are designed for 3-4 years, after successfully passing the project and completing the program, students receive a bachelor's degree in arts, for example, Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA).
The master's degree lasts 1-2 years, upon completion of the courses, graduates receive a Master of Arts (MA) or Master of Performing Arts (MPA) degree.
In some programs, the first two years, students are introduced to a large number of disciplines. In the second or third year, students choose a narrow specialization and the number of subjects is reduced. Possible specializations:
- Fashion designer
Each university has the right to establish admission requirements. Some universities give preference to applicants who have deeply studied creative subjects in school or outside the classroom. The most important requirement is casting for applicants. Some programs will require a creative portfolio.
Graduates who graduate from the Dance, Drama or Cinema program can find work in a wide variety of fields, for example, in management, directing, performing arts. Students become educators, playwrights, directors, casting agents, actors.