- School Education in America - Structure and Features
- American Schools: Advantages and Benefits
- Secondary education in America: distinctive features
- Secondary education in America: list of schools, cost, advantages
The American educational system and school education in the United States are recognized as one of the most progressive in the world. If compared the American system with European countries, then in the latter countries the educational sector has long been under the close control of the church, so its development took place at a more restrained pace.
The American system of education since the moment of formation has sought to meet the practical demands of society, which has been developing dynamically. Therefore, the priority tasks of education was the education of a person, an ambitious and strong spirit who can quickly make a decision and act.
Secondary and higher education in America today is open to foreign students with the optimal combination of price and quality. A school, college or university should provide students with practical skills that can be applied to everyday or professional life.
School Education in America - Structure and Features
American secondary education and its scheme is similar to systems in European countries. However, the school education in the US has its own nuances and differences related to the states of the country. The general structure of secondary education is as follows:
- Primary school - from 1 to 5 grades at the age from 6 to 10-11 years
- Secondary school - from 6 to 12 grades, the age of students - from 11 to 17-18 years.
The high school stage is two more educational steps: Middle School or Junior High School (middle classes) for students from 6th to 9th grades; and High School or Senior High School (senior classes) for young people from 9 to 12 grades.
As part of the middle school program, students study general subjects (mathematics, English, science, social studies and arts) and elective courses - rhetoric, drama, journalism and many others.
High school education in the US - High School - the final stage of secondary education. Senior students from 9th to 12th grades get even more freedom in choosing the disciplines. Important point: for obtaining a certificate of maturity of the American model (High School Diploma) they need to meet certain academic requirements. Namely - to earn a fixed number of credits (1 credit = subject studied in one year) in compulsory and optional subjects. Standards may vary depending on the US state: to obtain a certificate of completion of a high school student will need to recruit from 20 to 24 loans in total.
A high school student in the American school can study the disciplines in the Advanced Placement program. The course includes more than 30 subjects that are taught at a level similar to the first year of the university. The main plus of the AP program - the exam results for these subjects on admission are taken into account by most universities in America, Canada and Britain and not only. Or credits are credited directly to the student. Each school in America tries to offer an AP program for its students, since this way an institution can interest the most powerful students who are originally targeted to enter a higher school.
American Schools: Advantages and Benefits
And now let's talk about the benefits for foreign students who will give them secondary education in America:
- Quite often graduates of prestigious private schools abroad, in the States, in particular, in the future reach career heights and become influential people - diplomats, leaders, government figures
- Diploma of secondary education of the American model opens before yesterday's students the doors to prestigious universities in this country and many other countries of the world
- In private schools, the percentage of foreign students (up to 15%) is not so large, so here foreign students will be able to immerse themselves in an international atmosphere and practice English without recalling their native language
- For students who are not very confident in their knowledge of a foreign language, American schools provide a course of English as a foreign language. As part of the program, foreign students will be able to quickly adapt to the new environment and tighten the language skills to the required level
- In American schools, close attention is paid to the physical activity of students, so doing sports while studying will become mandatory. In addition, the management of educational institutions organizes for their wards an extensive entertainment and cultural program.
Secondary education in America: distinctive features
Secondary education in the US and American educational institutions have a number of distinctive features. Know these nuances is important for students and parents:
- Foreign students take private schools for education, where they study on a paid basis. Budget education in a public institution is possible for foreign students with a residence permit in the country.
- Each American school is a separate educational structure with its own rules, administration and teachers. The educational institution has its own territory (campus), on which are located various infrastructure facilities from the main building, to hostels for students and sports grounds. Equipping educational classes and grounds for creativity and sport meets all modern technological standards.
- The academic year in the American school is divided not into a quarter, but into 2 semesters for 6 months. The daily number of hours of study according to the standard program is from 4 to 6, including a lunch break. On an intensive course, the academic hours take 25-30 per week.
- In their spare time from academic studies, students can devote time in sports or creative sections. For these purposes, the school offers a variety of studios and clubs: football, basketball, swimming, tennis, golf and not only. Among the creative activities - dancing, theater, painting, sculpture, cooking and others.
School education in America is designed to instill in students self-discipline, responsibility, initiative, curiosity, the ability to make decisions and act. Students are taught a love of learning new things. Here, any child receives not only academic development, but also personal.
Secondary education in America: list of schools, cost, advantages
Concerning the price of education in the American school, SMAPSE experts note that quite a lot here depends on the specific educational institution - ranking, location and several other factors. On average, the annual cost of school education in the US will be from 35,000 $ to 55,000 $. When teaching in a private school, the formation of the price includes accommodation and meals on the campus, a registration fee, teaching materials and the form of the school, extracurricular activities and classes, syllabus and English as a foreign language.