Scotland is one of the most prestigious places for continuing education after school. Almost half of the university students are students from abroad. Foreign students from around the world Scottish universities attract high-quality educational programs, the choice of which is very wide. In Scotland, there are many old universities that combine conservative views with modern research centers. In addition to high-quality educational standards, one of the undoubted advantages of Scotland is the beauty and picturesqueness of nature.
What should be considered for students who dream of studying abroad:
- In Scotland, unlike the English system of education, you can enter universities after graduation, but not all - some, like the universities in England, require a special educational course for foreign students
- An overseas student needs to solve three basic questions when enrolling in an institution of higher education in Scotland: a visa, residence and knowledge of English at an advanced level
- The bachelor's program assumes four years of study at the university
- It is highly recommended to begin preparation (both preparation for exams and collection of all documents) 2 years before entering university in Scotland
- Foreign students enter the university through the UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) service, which helps to enter universities in the UK. Through this service, the applicant can submit up to 5 applications for various programs
- Another difference from English universities: the programs here are considered more flexible, the courses with dual qualifications are popular (law + economics, for example)
- The cost of education in Scotland is not inferior to English universities, but housing prices and products may be somewhat lower.
Topical information for foreign students: how to enter the best universities in Switzerland
If the main requirement for foreign students when enrolling in an English university is the passage of a special course, then in Scotland in many universities this requirement is not mandatory, but many foreign students decide to undergo an educational program in order to improve language skills. For this, the following programs are perfect:
- Academic English courses can significantly improve linguistic skills in the shortest possible time. Classes are different in their specifics, all features of grammar and vocabulary are sharpened in communication lessons, students learn in the format of interactive learning
- International Foundation - a course designed for 1 year of special preparation, which includes the study of core subjects and classes in English. In Scotland colleges, which require further education, there is a special course of the Scottish International Foundation Program (developed at the University of Glasgow). The age of students should be from 17 years, and the language requirements - minimum 5.0 IELTS. Students are expected to at least 30 lessons per week. You can take the course at the University of Aberdeen, University of Dundee.
- University Pathway is a one-year program that, if successful, allows you to enter a second year of university. The educational load is from 21 hours per week. Language requirement: IELTS is not lower than 4.0. INTO Glasgow Caledonian University invites to the preparatory courses in the following areas: international business, natural sciences, computer technologies, management.
List of requirements of the top Scottish universities for foreign students:
- application to the university;
- certificate of school education;
- motivation letter;
- 2 letters of recommendation;
- portfolio of documents;
- the provision of language examinations.