In England, a lot of programs have been developed for foreign students, which will increase their chances of admittance to British universities, improving academic knowledge and reaching a new level of language proficiency.
What should be considered for students who dream of studying abroad:
- The difference in educational systems. The educational standards of England have many significant differences, in some counties students study 11 years while in the UK - 13. After graduation foreign students enter the A-level program, study for two years in an in-depth program and only then receive a certificate of secondary education. Therefore, it is impossible for some foreign graduate to enroll in an English university immediately after graduation.
- The need for additional education. In order to bring secondary education to international standards, it is necessary to pass special educational courses. There are many programs in England, but all of them are aimed at adapting foreign students to a new academic and language environment and pulling up subjects in the shortest possible time.
Pre-university programs have the following features:
- all programs are designed for fairly short periods of time: from 2-3 semesters to 2 years;
- you can find programs only to improve language skills, or you can combine courses that will significantly improve the level of academic preparation and at the same time contribute to linguistic progress;
- for students developed special in-depth programs for 2-3 core subjects;
- some courses offer a learning system that allows you to go straight to the second year of the university;
- at the end of the courses of students waiting for examinations, which are often considered as introductory to the university;
- programs are designed for students after 8, 9, 10, 11 grades and are optimally adjusted to the level of schoolchildren.
Topical information for foreign students: how to enter the best universities in Britain
Consider the main course of preparation for the university:
- GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education - developed for students aged 14-15: foreign students can enroll after grade 8 and take a course in 2 years, or enrolled after 9th grade and complete the education for only one year.) In addition to elective optional courses in compulsory Mathematics and English are studied in the elite institution of Abbey College Cambridge. There are effective programs for foreign students: GCSE, A-level, as well as courses aimed at teaching English: Academic English and Preparation for IELTS.
- A-level is a classical program developed by the British educational system for teenagers over 16 years old, who graduated from the 10th grade. For many years numerous foreign students have successfully entered prestigious universities in England, having studied under this program. The duration of the program is 2 years, but there is also a shortened version, calculated for a year.
- IB (International Baccalaureate) is an international program that is popular in many European countries. One of the main advantages of this course is that IB diplomas are accepted in more than one hundred countries and are very prestigious, and in some universities with IB diploma it is even possible to apply immediately for the second year. For students over 16 years old who are striving to enter the world's leading universities, this program will be optimal. In the prestigious boarding school St. Clare's Oxford has an IB program aimed at developing critical thinking and creative abilities of students.
- Foundation. As mentioned above, even after the 11th grade, foreign graduates need to be studied for the university. Especially for students over 17 years of age, the Foundation program has been developed. This program is aimed at updating and deepening knowledge, as well as qualitative preparation for the university. But it should be borne in mind that some British universities consider this program insufficient and do not accept the certificates of the Foundation, therefore, before selecting an educational program, it is recommended to specify which certificates are accepted by this or that institution.
- Oxbridge Pre-U is a relatively new development of the Cambridge Examination Center. The program offers in-depth study of three core subjects and exams, that is, it is considered rather complicated. Diploma Oxbridge will give some advantages when entering the best universities in Britain.
List of requirements of top universities for foreign students:
1. For admission to the best universities in England, which do not descend from the first places of world rankings, it is necessary to demonstrate very high results in academic and language examinations:
Name of the exam
The minimum score
A * AA and above
40-42 points from 45, 776-777 on the base. subjects
D2, or D3 in all subjects
7.0 (at least 7.0 for each section)
2. It is important to show yourself as best as possible at the interview. In the interview there can be very different questions, it will be necessary to show creative thinking and ingenuity. For example, a candidate for Cambridge holds 2-3 interviews on the subject and one general.
3. You may need to write an additional essay or go through another test.
4. It is necessary to prepare in a timely manner a standard package of documents: online application, motivation letter, IELTS certificate and certificate of exams (A-level, etc.).