Fashion education in the UK is offered by several universities, but there are 2 universities that stand out for their level not only in the United Kingdom, but throughout the world - Westminster University and Nottingham Trent.
Westminster University is located in the heart of London, the financial and fashion capital of Great Britain. The University of Westminster Fashion Department is in the TOP-10 of the best fashion schools in the world according to Fashionista magazine for 2018. The employment rate of graduates within 6 months after graduating from the University of Westminster fashion courses is 100%. Among those who have recently completed their studies:
- London Fashion Week designer Claire Barrow
- Ashley William
- Christopher Bailey, Chief Creative Officer, Burberry
- Katie Hillier, Creative Director of Hillier Bartley and many others
- Graduates of the last 3 years have been working for Alexander McQueen, Versace, H&M, Preen, Burberry, Versus, MaxMara, Harrods, Adidas, Celine, Gucci, JWAnderson, Tom Ford, Erdem, Acne, Jacquemus, Paul Smith.
The high level of education is determined by the strongest professional teachers with extensive experience in the industry: for example, Professor Andrew Groves until 1990 worked as chief design assistant at Alexander McQueen, produced collections under his own brand, collaborated with other designers. Some of his creations are exhibited at the Victoria and Albert Museum in the National Collection of Textiles and Fashion, in the Fashion Museum in Bath. Thanks to Groves, the Fashion Design BA Honors schedule with a calendar of international fashion events allowed students to showcase their work at London fashion shows. Since 2016, he has launched the Menswear Master's Course: the world's first two-year course on men's fashion. In June 2018, alumni of the program presented their collection at London Fashion Week Mens. In May 2019, graduates of the Fashion Design bachelor's course held a presentation of their graduation collections and final works in the Paris showroom. The presentation was attended by representatives of Alexander McQueen, Balenciaga, Balmain, Calvin Klein, Christian Louboutin, Citizen K, Dior, FENTY, Givenchy, Karl Lagerfeld, Kenzo, Lanvin, Loewe, Louis Vuitton, Saint Laurent, Tommy Hilfiger, Vogue, Woolmark, and Y Project. Graduates received feedback on their work from world-class fashion market experts.
You can apply for the following undergraduate courses:
- Fashion Business Management
- Fashion Design
- Fashion Marketing and Promotion.
- Foundation - 16,480 £ / 2 semesters with further transfer to Fashion Design / Fashion Marketing and Promotion
- Fashion Business Management - 17,420 £ / 2 semesters.
Nottingham Trent University
The second university known for its Fashion work is Nottingham Trent. The university entered the TOP-10 best universities in the UK in the direction of Fashion and Textiles according to the Guardian University League Tables 2020. The employment rate of graduates is 100% for the period 6 months after graduation (DLHE poll 2016/17).
The university invites the best lecturers and industry experts:
- Giles Deacon
- Christopher Raeburn
- Shingo Sato
- Martin Roberts, Creative Director, Graduate Fashion Week
- fashion columnist OBE and former British Vogue editor Alexander Shulman.
- Students implement joint projects with Oasis, Boohoo, Mulberry, ASOS, River Island, Burberry, write this experience on their resume and prepare for future employment already at the stage of study.
The university provides students with the opportunity to learn from experience abroad, learn the latest trends in the world's fashion capitals. Students take part in exchange programs at partner universities: Fashion Institute of Technology (New York), Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Nottingham Trent organizes study trips for Paris Fashion Week, students show their collections at the Degree Show in Nottingham. This show is traditionally attended by agents of fashion houses who nominate young designers to participate in Graduate Fashion Week in London. Nottingham Trent students became winners of the Tessuti Sports and Leisurewear Award-2018, TU Menswear Scholarship Award-2017, Fashion Marketing Award.
- Foundation - 15,090 £ / 2 semesters
- Pre-master - 13,700 £ / 2 semesters
SMAPSE experts recommend that you pay attention to the directions:
- BA (Hons) Fashion Design
- BA (Hons) Fashion Marketing and Branding
- MA Luxury Fashion Brand Management
- BA (Hons) Fashion Knitwear Design and Knitted Textiles
- BA (Hons) Fashion Communication and Promotion
- MA Fashion Communication
- BA Fashion Management
- MA Fashion Marketing
- MA International Fashion Management.