Description of Pondicherry University
- Year of foundation: 1985
- Location: Pondicherry, India
- Age of students: 17+
- Number of students: 41000
- Language of instruction: English
- Type of study: university.
One of India's national central universities, Pondicherry University was established by an Act of Parliament in 1985. Its jurisdiction extends to 3 states and 2 union territories, whose inhabitants speak a dozen languages, including Hindi, English, French and Tamil. At the moment, more than 40 thousand students from 37 countries of the world study on the campuses of the university, speaking more than 40 languages, which makes PU a multicultural and multinational university committed to the ideas of progress and development.
Faculties and colleges
The university consists of 14 schools, within which there are 52 faculties:
- Subramania Bharati School of Tamil Language and Literature;
- School of Management;
- Ramanujan School of Mathematical Sciences;
- School of Engineering and Technology;
- School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences;
- School of Life Sciences;
- School of Humanities;
- School of Social Sciences and International Studies;
- Pedagogical school;
- School of Medical Sciences;
- School of Media and Communication Technologies;
- Madanjit School of Green Energy Technology;
- Acharia School of Sciences and Arts;
- Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru School of Agriculture and Research.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Pondicherry University
Accommodation, meals, prices
On campus there are dormitories for students with a total capacity of over 6 thousand places, while students from remote places and foreigners are given priority in the order of resettlement. Female students are provided with accommodation free of charge.
Students with disabilities and mobility receive educational services, meals and dormitory free of charge. On the territory of the university there are a number of free bus routes (it is necessary to present a student card).
Activities Pondicherry University
Extracurricular life is represented by numerous student clubs, associations and other organizations designed to make the lives of students easier, more interesting and brighter, and the world around them better.
Several periodicals are published on the territory of the university, the FM radio station Puduvai Vaani, which operates with the support of the Delhi UGC, broadcasts.
- ranks 801-1000th in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2021.
- ranked 251-300th in the world in the Times Higher Education Asian University Rankings for 2021 and 201-250 among new universities;
- 81st in India overall in the National Institutional Ranking Structure (NIRF) in 2020 among higher education institutions and 58th among universities;
- is a member of the Commonwealth University Association (ACU); the Association of Indian Universities (AIU); Medical Council of India (MCI); Distance Education Council (DEC);
Facilities and equipment at Pondicherry University
Pondicherry University is located on a campus of more than 360 hectares. The campus is located along the coastline of the Bay of Bengal on the East Coast Road, between Chennai, 168 km away, and Bangalore, located 326 km away.
Students can use the Ananda Ranga Pillai Library, opened in 1986. The library has more than 2 million books and 2.7 million periodicals, making it one of the largest in the country and the largest university. The area of the building exceeds 25 thousand sq.m. Students can use wireless Internet (available in all buildings and on 70% of the campus).
On the campus there is everything necessary for the active life of local students - from shops, cafeterias, restaurants to laundries, its own dental office, clinic (also used for educational operations and medical manipulations), a cinema.
The competition ranges from 2.7 to 8.1 people per place, depending on the chosen school and the direction of study.
78% of graduates get a job in their specialty within a year after graduation.
Scholarships Pondicherry University
20% of students are recipients of scholarships and grants, the amount of which can reach up to 100% of the cost of tuition, food and accommodation. To qualify for a scholarship, a student must demonstrate outstanding academic achievement.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Pondicherry University
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.