• Services
    • Services and prices
    • Immigration and citizenship
    • Scholarships
    • Tutoring and preparation for schools, universities abroad
  • Information
  • Partnership
    • Group travel
    • For teachers
    • Terms of partnership (for agents)
    • Instructions (for agents)
    • FAQ (for agents)
    • For schools
    • Educational fairs
    • Advertising
  • Contacts
2021-08-24 15:30:50

FAQ: What do I need to enter universities in England?

FAQ: What do I need to enter universities in England?

There are several options for admission to an English university.

Admission to schools in England at 8-9 grades for further entering UK universities

Foreign pupils who have reached the age of 14 are eligible to enroll in schools in England for the GCSE program, which will help them obtain a British certificate of incomplete secondary education.

To enroll in the GCSE,it is usually required to pass an English language test and provide a certificate with grades. Many schools also ask for a math test and additional subject exams, interviews and interviews.

In UK schools students study:

  • English language
  • Mathematics, physics, biology
  • Additional items are only 9-11.


Take preparation courses if you have 11 grades education

Graduates of foreign schools cannot apply to universities in England after the end of the 11th grade. This is explained by the fact that in some foreign countries and the UK different programs, they are not equivalent. To prepare for admission to English universities, there are special preparatory courses and programs.

  • The first option is Foundation program for students from 17 years old. The program lasts 1 year and gives general preparation for studying at an English university.
  • The second option is the classic A-level for 2 years (standard version) or 1 year (intensive).

To enroll in the programs, you will need to provide a high school diploma (preferably with a high score) and the results of the IELTS 4.5-5.0 English language test.

What is a Foundation program?

The Foundation is a special programme for international students, largely equivalent to the UK's A-level and IB secondary education programmes. The Foundation program helps a student from Russia to prepare for admission to a university in England, namely:

  • Get general right to enter a British university for a bachelor's degree
  • Master academic disciplines at a high level
  • Improve English
  • Adapt to a foreign environment.

It is important to keep in mind that not all British universities accept students with a Foundation diploma, the most popular and prestigious universities require an A-level certificate from applicants.

What is A-Level program?

A-Level is a curriculum in schools in the UK, which allows you to obtain a certificate of complete secondary education. The main goal of A-Level is to prepare students for university studies. The program includes about 45 options, each student chooses from 3 to 6 subjects and prepares for exams on them.

Popular subjects on the A-level program:

  • Mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology
  • Economics, accounting, higher mathematics, business
  • English literature, politics, psychology.

Why is it worth an additional A-Level program?

  • In-depth study of selected subjects
  • Huge chances to enter the chosen university
  • Assistance in adaptation
  • Ability to study remotely.

For admission to the bachelor's degree, a foreign student needs to provide the following documents:

  • Completed form
  • Copy of passport, certificate from the bank
  • Certificate of complete secondary education, Diploma of Foundation or A-level, IB
  • Motivational essay, sometimes a portfolio of achievements is required
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Certificate of English proficiency IELTS or TOEFL.

Getting Master's degree at UK universities

It is often easier to enter a master's degree in an English university than a bachelor's degree. For admission to the magistracy will be required:

  • Diploma of the first higher education
  • IELTS English language proficiency test with results from 6.5 to 8 (depends on the university and its prestige, direction)
  • Motivation letter, essay or resume
  • Recommendations from teachers and employers
  • GRE or GMAT exams.

Each student must fill out a personal form on the university's website, where you need to specify information about yourself, previous education and work experience.

All articles
Your comment / review / question
There are no comments here yet
Your comment / review
If you have a question, write it, we will try to answer
* - Field is mandatory
Egor Eremeev
Current material has been prepared by Egor Eremeev
Education: Westminster University (Business & Management), London.
Egor studied and lived in the UK for 8 years and graduated from the university of Westminster. He is currently the co-founder and the director of business development at Smapse Education and personally visits foreign schools and universities, interviews students studying in those institutions.
YouTube video playerD3EYRnozxps
YouTube video playeranZ4q63C4v0
YouTube video player8sNebkElChw
YouTube video player8LKj9MBnV7c
Chat with us, we are online!