When students leave to study at a university abroad, they want not only to get a profession that is in demand - they want to plunge into a new culture, find friends and spend 4 years of study in such a way that they will remember it all their lives! Today we have collected for you several funny stories, traditions and features of American universities that make students' life more fun and enjoyable.
It was founded as a school (Arizona Territorial Normal School) already in 1885 - so that you understand, even the state of Arizona stood out as an independent one only after 27 years! It has a superb faculty - Nobel Prize winners, Pulitzer winners, Fulbright Fellows, National Academy of Sciences - and an impressive roster of alumni: just think of designer Kate Spade, actor Steve Allen and comedian TV host Jimmy Kimmel. But students also come here for unforgettable impressions outside the classroom:
- The state of Arizona is generally regarded as a stronghold of student baseball, with colleges and universities consistently sending over 100 players to the country's major league, MLB
- The Sun Devil University Marching Band became famous as well: it became one of the winners of the national Sudler Trophy award, and representatives of Arizona State University received this award 28 times.
By the way, the same Sun Devil - the Sun Devil, the mascot and symbol of ASU - was created by Disney employee Bert Anthony.
Oh, traditions are fervently honored here! Simmons University's regular events are memorable for both students and guests:
- Winter Wonderland is a winter holiday, when all residences compete for the most beautiful decoration of the building, and students arrange thematic and national dinners, prepare special festive dishes and snacks of their countries
- May Day is an annual congratulation of graduates by the efforts of junior students (usually 2nd year). This tradition is over 100 years old!
- Simmons Soiree - a kind of rehearsal of the prom, very elegant, solemn and festive
- Founder's Day - The birthday of the founder of the university, John Simmons, is celebrated on a grand scale: apple cider flows like a river, large, richly decorated cakes are baked, creative competitions and games are held (for example, an essay competition)
- Shark Week : a week dedicated to swimming in Shark Pride and other entertainment: laser tag, Movie Nights and more
- Friends and Family Weekend - Every year, students look forward to a family weekend to meet friends and family who come to the Simmons University campus and show off their favorite university.
The university became famous for its wonderful student self-government - SUBOG: the association makes sure that students always have time and energy for extracurricular activities, constantly come up with something new, make life on campus more interesting and fun. For example, everyone loves Late Night parties: games with prizes, quizzes, karaoke are organized - and something delicious is sure to be prepared! For this spring weekend, actor Evan Peters is even invited to chat with students and remember his days of study.
A gorgeous, spacious and beautiful campus helps SUBOG to fill the lives of students with events. It even has its own bus routes - this is the only way to quickly get to the hills (which are fun to sled from in winter) or to the forest grove at the back of the campus.
The symbol of the University of Connecticut is a husky, and everyone wants to be a husky! The women's basketball team is especially famous (they kept a dry score of 110 games!), About which HBO even made a documentary. If the students of the University of Connecticut are not on the team, they definitely cheer for it, support it at home and away games, there is always nowhere for an apple to fall at the stadiums.