If you have always dreamed of a career in cinema, theater or show business, watched films and concerts with the thought “I should be not just a spectator, but the creator of this”, are not afraid of difficulties, love intense activities related to people, then cinema courses, drama or theater in the USA will open the way for you to exciting careers! Studying dance, cinema and theater at foreign universities allows you to gain experience of study and work abroad, improve your language skills, master techniques from leading masters and receive a diploma from a prestigious university.
History of Film, Dance and Drama Studies in the United States
America's performing arts history begins after the end of the Civil War. In 1870, the Philadelphia Academy of Music, known today as The University of the Arts, was founded in Philadelphia. This educational institution, like the Juilliard School in New York 35 years later, was created specifically to help the country's musical talents study music and vocals at home.
In the century that has passed since its inception, the reputation of the Juilliard School has grown, and more and more colleges and universities have opened to study the performing arts in the United States.
If once American students went to study abroad, today foreign students come to America to study performing arts. Many are attracted by renowned schools such as Juilliard School, which are dedicated to one aspect of the performing arts, while others prefer an interdisciplinary approach that allows students to work at the cutting edge of the industry by exploring its many forms.
The structure of programs with the study of cinema, theater, drama in the United States
Usually, American curricula with the study of cinema, dance, drama are very practical - the course consists of seminars, lectures, practical exercises. Those who are interested in the history and culture of the cinema and theater industry can choose a direction at the faculties of philosophy or cultural studies.
Bachelor's programs usually last from 3 to 5 years, master's programs from 1 to 3 years.
Universities provide students with the opportunity to do internships, develop professional skills, and gain work experience.
Requirements for applicants for programs with the study of film, drama, dance in the United States
Requirements for applicants for undergraduate programs in film and theater depend on the chosen program and educational institution:
- Some institutions require prior education in film, drama or dance, while others prefer to accept candidates with no practical experience and are passionate about cinema and theater.
- Usually applicants (especially for acting) must audition.
- All programs are taught in English, so knowledge of the language is required. All universities accept IELTS , TOEFL or other equivalent language tests.
Career prospects for graduates of programs with the study of cinema, drama, dance, theater at US universities
Who can graduates of drama, film and dance programs in the United States work for?
- Actors, dancers, artists of musical theaters.
- A dance, music, or drama therapist uses activities such as group work or role play to encourage people to deal with their emotions by helping them overcome social or personal difficulties. Music therapists use music to help people deal with feelings they cannot express in words. Dance movement therapists use movement and dance in therapeutic work to help people cope with physical, psychological, emotional or mental problems. To work as a therapist, you need a master's degree.
- Theater directors. They are responsible for the practical and creative interpretation of a dramatic script or score and participate in the entire process from start to finish. To become a theater director, start as an assistant (perhaps in an amateur theater group) and gradually work your way up, gaining strong skills and reputation.
- Writers who create compelling stories for a wide variety of formats - from films to television to computer games. It will take dedication, motivation and the ability to meet strict deadlines. Administrators organize arts events and services, theaters or museums. This role will require strong administrative, organizational and IT skills.
- Theater managers. They are responsible for the smooth running of the show. It will take excellent people skills to manage and communicate with everyone involved in the show, including the staff and the director, + practical theater experience is required.
- Presenters - to be the face or voice of programs on television, radio, on the Internet.
- Teachers in a specific area of the performing arts. You will need a teaching qualification (and a doctorate if you want to become a teacher of higher education) - an expert understanding of the subject is important here.
Skills of graduates of programs with the study of cinema, drama, theater in the United States
What skills do graduates of film, drama, and theater programs have that are useful in any job?
Here is a list of twenty-five skills, traits, and personality traits that are usually well developed in people who have completed four years of BA in drama, film, or dance:
- Oral communication skills
- The ability to creatively solve problems
- Motivation and commitment
- Willingness to work in a team
- Ability to work independently
- Time management skills
- Promptness and adherence to deadlines
- Acceptance of the rules
- Ability to learn quickly and correctly
- Respect for colleagues
- Observance of subordination
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Ability to work under pressure
- Understanding your importance and position
- Acceptance of frustration - and the ability to bounce back
- A focused approach to work
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Leadership skills
- Self confidence
- Ability to enjoy work.
Top Best US Universities with Studies in Theater, Drama and Film
- The University of Tampa
- Southern Connecticut State University
- Kansas State University Polytechnic
- INTO - University of South Florida , Drew University , Colorado State University , Suffolk University , University of Alabama at Birmingham
- CEG - On Campus Boston Whellok College, Texas at University of North Texas, Cal State Monterey Bay
- SHORELIGHT - American University ,Florida International University , University of Central Florida , ADELPHI University , University of California Santa Barbara , AUBURN University
- STUDY GROUP - The City College of New York , Long Island University Brooklin, Long Island University Post, Oglethorpe University , University of Vermont
- KAPLAN Pace University
- California State University Dominguez Hills
- Sacred Heart University .