Today, international students have ample opportunities to obtain high-quality education in Canada. Toronto is one of the most prosperous and safe cities in Canada, in the annual ranking of The Economist, Toronto ranks 4th in the overall quality of life. The main reasons for choosing education in Canada are modern approaches to education and high-quality preparation for admission to universities. Toronto schools are included in various TOPs of the best educational institutions of the world, they are not inferior in quality to the American and will pleasantly please in the price ratio.
Main features of programs for children from abroad, the language of instruction
How to choose the best school? First of all, it is necessary to choose between the public and private schools. For foreign students, the cost of studying in public schools will average from $ 12,000 CAD per year, but schools of this type do not offer accommodation and do not solve the issue with the migration service (under Canada's law, children under 18 are required to have a guardian). Advantages of private schools. Firstly, very high level of preparation - graduates of private schools easily enter the ranking universities of the USA, England and Canada. Despite the high cost, closed boarding schools are more in demand, which provide housing, food, and here a constant supervision is established for the child. Foreign students usually reside in residences. The cost of studying in private schools is $ 30,000-60000 $ CAD per year.
Language courses with learning English / French: Canada does not have unified educational standards, each province is guided by its needs and traditions. In the east and southeast of Canada, schools are taught in French, and in other parts of the country - in English. As a rule, schools have developed linguistic courses with the study of English / French for foreign students, and within a few months these activities will make an impressive progress.
Features of studying:
- In private schools there is an opportunity to study in 3-semester programs, so that the school can be completed much faster
- Despite the fact that Canadian private schools accept students from the youngest age, the most popular among foreign school students is high school
- System of credits: for obtaining a diploma, a student needs to receive a certain number of credits (educational credit units).
Types of programs: a classical secondary education program and a program with a profile study of selected subjects (Advanced Placement). In the best schools, a unique International Baccalaureate program is offered, after which the graduate can usually enter any university in the world without entrance examinations.
TOP-5 boarding Schools in Toronto for international students
- St. Andrew's College is one of Toronto's leading schools for boys, in which the versatile development of schoolchildren is valued: gaining academic knowledge and development in sports and creativity. The best of the best are waiting for privileges in the form of a scholarship tie or a badge. For foreign students, secondary and high school programs are available in the school. The cost of studying will be from 55000 $ CAD.
- Columbia International College offers various programs for students aged 13-18. Foreign students are given special attention and support. For pupils of the senior classes the special program of preparation for entrance examinations in high school is developed. The cost of studying will be from 44454 $ CAD.
- Brookes Shawnigan Lake has an excellent reputation and only positive feedback for quality academic education, excellent full-fledged teaching, comfortable living and eating conditions. The school offers tuition at a high school course and an international IB program. The strong point and the card of the school is the preparation in the field of art practically at the university level. The cost of studying will be from 47500 $ CAD.
- Trafalgar Castle School - top in the field of pre-university preparation school for girls 10-18 years. Programs of middle classes and senior classes are waiting for students from 10 to 18 years. 98% of school leavers enter the world's leading universities. The cost of studying will be from 59515 $ CAD.
- Branksome Hall is a prestigious private women's board offering an international baccalaureate program. The school is located in the heart of Toronto and combines a well-kept park area and urban color. The cost of studying will be from 28565 $ CAD per semester.
Admission conditions and tuition fees
- Language and academic requirements: language requirements - passing the IELTS or TOEFL exam, DALF (if the student will be taught in French). Academic requirement for students: pass the test for the level of academic knowledge of the SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test) or CAT (Canadian Achievement Tests). You may need to write an essay or take an internal exam.
- A package of documents: to hand over a questionnaire-application and to pay about 200 $ CAD for its consideration, assessment tables for two / three years, recommendations of teachers.
- Foreign students are required to have a place of residence for the duration of their studies and guardianship.
- Other requirements: as a rule, schoolchildren are waiting for a personal interview with a representative of the admissions committee, as well as a medical commission.
- Tuition fees: The cost varies from 20,000 $ CAD to 65,000 CAD per year.
- Factors affecting the cost: the location of the school, the conditions of residence, the status of the school, the proposed program. Usually the cost includes studying and accommodation.
- Additional payment is possible:
- Registration fee
- Non-refundable deposit upon admission.